Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
malexander

Cedar River Flow 7/20/2019-7/21/2019

Made a last minute decision with minimal planning to escape the air conditioning and spend a night on the water It would also be the first time I tried camping with my kayak. Turns out it was much easier than I thought it would be.

After recovering from my morning bike ride sweat fest, I threw some gear together and made the long drive up to Wakely Dam. Hit the water shortly after 4pm and made waves for the south end of the flow. Had my choice of campsites and took a stellar one right on the water. A lazy evening of reading ensued and I turned in when the sun turned off. Even staying right on the water it was a rather warm night.

After copious amounts of sleep I decided to take my breakfast at the Carry Lean-to. I had done the paddle once before and thoroughly enjoyed following the wandering river. In short order I found myself at the unsurprisingly empty Lean-to.

And then one of those weird things happened. One of those weird things I couldn't make up even if I tried...

In picking up the Lean-to register my finger also grabbed what I thought was a piece of cloth. Then it started moving and I immediately dropped it. A bat fell to the Lean-to floor and then through a crack in the floor. It apparently had found a "cave" between the register and the uneven shelf.

I was deeply concerned that I may have hurt it and adversely affected the mosquito population but my fears were alleviated a few minutes later as it flew away while I sipped my coffee

After breakfast I made a slow and enjoyable exit catching a couple small brookies along the way.

malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
TrailBlaser

Great trip report and photos. What site did you stay at? Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
Great trip report and photos. What site did you stay at? Thanks for sharing.

It was one of two southern most sites on the east shore. I'm not sure which one since I couldn't locate the other.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

Awesome bat story!

Pictures were pretty neat too. Sounds like a really fun trip. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Cool story about the bat. Great area, nice you had it to yourself. Thanks for sharing.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Nice!
I camped at that same spot a few years ago, during a very warm December weekend before Christmas, and also had the place to myself.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
It was one of two southern most sites on the east shore. I'm not sure which one since I couldn't locate the other.
The one on the peninsula, or the lower one?

http://www.jimmuller.com/canoe-trips/cedar-river-flow/
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Nice!

I camped at that same spot a few years ago, during a very warm December weekend before Christmas, and also had the place to myself.

Wow, great site and photo! I hope there are trees there for a hammock.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
SpencerVT

Great photos!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
Wow, great site and photo! I hope there are trees there for a hammock.
There are trees that surround the site, but you should probably be really careful driving the road in, it can be a little rough.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Heh - bats in the leantos... that's common, I think. There was one living in the Bear Lake lean to in BRWF last year. Lots of little cracks for them to squeeze into during the day.

It kind of drive me nuts at night trying to sleep though. Just when you want to settle down to sleep the bat is waking up and making all sorts of chirps and flying in and out, getting ready for a night of hunting!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #12
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There are trees that surround the site, but you should probably be really careful driving the road in, it can be a little rough.
Thanks Justin, will do.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
webby459

Nice TR! I was in the area around the same time, we parked Thursday at Wakely Pond and walked the NPT northward to Stephens Pond. We wandered around checking out Cascade and the surroundings, and then packed back out Saturday before the real heat began. We saw a total of 5 other people in the 3 days/20 miles we did.

OP, we found the horse/deer flies really heavy, did you? Full coverage helped.

Cedar River Rd down at least to the entrance to MRP was rocky but ok, even for a city car!
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
Nice TR! I was in the area around the same time, we parked Thursday at Wakely Pond and walked the NPT northward to Stephens Pond. We wandered around checking out Cascade and the surroundings, and then packed back out Saturday before the real heat began. We saw a total of 5 other people in the 3 days/20 miles we did.

OP, we found the horse/deer flies really heavy, did you? Full coverage helped.

Cedar River Rd down at least to the entrance to MRP was rocky but ok, even for a city car!
Thanks

I don't think I saw anyone on Saturday evening other than at the dam. Only saw a couple people Sunday. Was nice and quiet on the water.

Deer and horse flies were pretty annoying but just wearing a hat kept most of them at bay.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #15
TrailBlaser

Does anyone know if there an outfitter that rents tandems for use on the Flow? I have a friend that wants to paddle it, but he doesn't have a canoe. Ideally he would want the outfitter to transport the canoe to Wakely.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

I think most of them will be OK with using on CRF but getting a transport there may be a tall order. I know Mountain Man and St Regis both shuttle, but I've never heard of transport to and from a location. I think the closest would be BML Outfitters. Give them a call.

Usually these places have foam and rope you can use to transport via car top.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
TrailBlaser

Thanks Montcalm. He can't transport on his vehicle. I was hoping there might be an outfitter in Indian Lake. Any other location suggestions in the southern ADKs? He doesn't want to go up as far as Little Tupper, Lila, Lows etc.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

My suggestion would be Blue Mountain Lake, or one of the lakes connected to BML. There are a number of sites out there, and I find camping out in that area enjoyable. There are motor boats, but not an obnoxious amount IME. Canoeing on those lakes is quite nice. You can rent from BML outfitters and launch right from their livery.

I actually don't know about Indian lake, but if you camp on Indian lake Islands, I believe you can rent from the state.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
webby459

He should try calling Blue Mountain Lake Outfitters, their web site notes they rent and shuttle canoes. Benefit with them is that they are within 15 miles or so of Wakely, so it wouldn’t be a fortune in transport if they’ll do it.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
TrailBlaser

Thanks guys, I will check it out and let him know.