Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
chaser
pond jockey

Mast Crop

Anybody have any early insight yet on mast crop in the Adirondacks?? I was hoping to get up to the hunting grounds this weekend, but this heat may deter that endeavour. I've seen some beechnuts in the Glens Falls area this year, but can't say for up north of here. Also, I haven't seen a good cherry crop in the my Adk hunting area in 4 or 5 years, we have lots of black cherry trees in that area??
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Buckladd

Some oaks have small acorns growing. Apples are cranking, after a bad year last year.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
chaser
pond jockey

Answered my own question today and in my little slice of heaven in the southern Adirondacks, no cherry, beechnuts and we have one small stand of Oaks and they are bare also. Also, no shocker to anyone, deer flies are as vicious as ever.

Last edited by chaser; 07-21-2019 at 09:16 PM..
chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Stillhunter

I was in Massachusetts over the weekend and saw some new acorns there.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Fly Rodder

In our ADK area, a few weeks ago, there were trees with beechnuts the size of grapes on south facing slopes.

Acorns have been heavy in central ny.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Lucky13

Just came back from West Central. Did not see nuts, but soft mast is all over the place, with the exception of BlackBerry, patches I looked at had no berries. I ususally look now for later picking in September. Blueberries are loaded and heavy cherry crop back in the MRP, still a lot of raspberries around, too. Did not see a bear or hear of a nuisance incident except one that got into a camp in Old Forge and had to be put down. Saw quite a bit of berry filled scat though.
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
Cpswing555

I didn't notice many cherries on my hikes but did hear of some beachnuts being sightes
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
Lucky13

I should add that it was our sense that things are still at least two weeks behind up there, from the cold wet spring. I was up for 2 weeks and the first week the blueberries were mostly still white or pink, and usually we can be picking at the end of July. We picked the second week, but I think there will be good picking for a while yet based on the number of white and pink berries still around. We found no blackberries except ground blackberries. As I said, lots of cherry in the Plains, although they are the ones that don't ripen until September for the most part.

The camp we rent has about 5 acres behind it that contain a lot of beeches. I didn't see any evidence of nut fall which I have encountered in the past in early August, but they may still be up in the trees. There was a deer working the area, but I think she was mostly browsing on the little greenish and brownish orchids that flower this time of year.

The guy we rent with puts a trail camera out focused on his Trash Cage. The day before we went home he went through 3300 images, and there was not one of a bear. That is the first time that has ever happened, they are in the woods eating the bounty that is out there this year.
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Buckladd

I've been in the woods quite a bit. Acorns are looking good, as are apples. Didn't find any beechnuts.

I also hiked up Buck Mt. last weekend, usually a blueberry bonanza. They actually looked like they passed. They were ripe, but small and not very many of them.