Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #81
Stillhunter

Great buck and neat story. Congratulations on a fine Adirondack deer. Heavy buck to.
No more helpless feeling than being in a close range stare down with a buck. Most times the buck will win them.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #82
Woodly

Just something to remember. Big bucks rub on any size tree, small bucks only on small trees.

There is always an exception but...its a fairly sure thing.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #83
Mallard1100

[IMG][/IMG]Finally figured out how to post some pics. Figure I would share a few more
From opening weekend....
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #84
Woodly

Nice moose pics. What caliber is the rifle?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #85
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly View Post
nice moose pics. What caliber is the rifle?
45/70
Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #86
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
45/70
A fine old timer. The only one I recall shooting was in a long barreled Thompson Contender. Lots of fun and accurate but one would be best hanging on
I had a 50/70 carbine tho and that was fun too but the 45/70 is more practical. and that's why its still around.
Thanks

ps; I also like those shooting sticks...looks like a fine place for them.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #87
Buckladd

We had a pretty good day on Saturday. It was my birthday and legend has it that if you are hunting with me on my birthday your odds of getting a buck go up. My dad, cousins and an uncle have all killed bucks on my birthday, but not me. Now you can add my brother Bill to the list.

A bunch of our guys were in the Southern Zone, but Bill and I and our other brother (Tim) along with three guys in their 70's and a grandson put together a pretty good party for the day in the mountains. My suggestion for the first drive was a hill where my uncle missed a buck a week earlier. I hunted in there last week and all indications was that this buck was still around.

I took the watchers around and took the high watch, typically a good one. Bill was coming around the back side of the mountain and could see two deer in a notch between the two mountains from a long ways away. He moved in and found it was a buck that had a doe pinned on a ledge and wouldn't let her off. He snuck in and killed the buck. It was a six-pointer that weighed 123-pounds.

We made a few other drives and had the buck hanging in my garage by 1:30 pm. Then we hung around the woodstove in my cellar. The older guys appreciated that. 'Couldn't have asked for a better birthday.

I usually hunt with my .30-30 Trapper, but on my birthday and Thanksgiving Day I carry my dad's M94 44 mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laddboys.jpg (83.5 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by Buckladd; 11-18-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #88
Woodly

Nice story and success/happy belated birthday
Old 11-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #89
Stillhunter

Sounds like a classic day. Way to spread that birthday karma around. Nice looking buck. Congratulations to your brother Bill. Nice story.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #90
Mallard1100

Great story and success.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #91
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Nice job fly rodder. I carry the same exact rifle setup except in 7mm-08. I shot my first ADK buck this past week. I could not be happier. He is a big 5pt dressed at 177. Sadly, and this will haunt my dreams forever, but I grunted a buck in the day before and he basically walked on top of me, sneaking around a knob at just about 7 yards. Itís hard to believe, but he made me I had to fire 2 quick shots as he was going away and missed. I was sick to my stomach. The next day I went back to the same spot and grunted this buck in. It was an unreal week with temps in the negatives and 10 inches of snow.
Great buck! He's a tank for sure.

I had a nice buck sneak around me and winded me about 15 yards behind my stand while archery hunting southern zone. It was heartbreaking to know that everything was going great, right up until it wasn't. Archery targets are fun to shoot at it, but they're always in one place, they don't hide in the brush, and they don't move in unexpected ways.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #92
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
We had a pretty good day on Saturday. It was my birthday and legend has it that if you are hunting with me on my birthday your odds of getting a buck go up. My dad, cousins and an uncle have all killed bucks on my birthday, but not me. Now you can add my brother Bill to the list.

A bunch of our guys were in the Southern Zone, but Bill and I and our other brother (Tim) along with three guys in their 70's and a grandson put together a pretty good party for the day in the mountains. My suggestion for the first drive was a hill where my uncle missed a buck a week earlier. I hunted in there last week and all indications was that this buck was still around.

I took the watchers around and took the high watch, typically a good one. Bill was coming around the back side of the mountain and could see two deer in a notch between the two mountains from a long ways away. He moved in and found it was a buck that had a doe pinned on a ledge and wouldn't let her off. He snuck in and killed the buck. It was a six-pointer that weighed 123-pounds.

We made a few other drives and had the buck hanging in my garage by 1:30 pm. Then we hung around the woodstove in my cellar. The older guys appreciated that. 'Couldn't have asked for a better birthday.

I usually hunt with my .30-30 Trapper, but on my birthday and Thanksgiving Day I carry my dad's M94 44 mag.
Great hunt and I would like to hunt with you next year on your birthday!

I hunted SZ on the opener as well, it was very cold and crunchy. A small 4- came through checking scrapes, but wasn't my legal quarry. The only other deer I saw was far enough way that I couldn't confirm it to be a doe and eventually disappeared. And that was it. Back to the ADKs this weekend for a bear maybe and camp life. I dropped my buck off at the taxidermist and he taped a 21" neck. The cape had some recent battle scars around the neck, but was otherwise in prime condition for a mount.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #93
chaser
pond jockey

Nice bucks fellas!!! We hunt a little ways back from the road in a tent. My brother shot a bear pretty much farther back(he said he processed all the pro and cons in his mind in 1.5 seconds and somewhere in the middle his rifle went bang) his Garmin was on the fritz so no radio or pings for a while, he arrived in camp at 730pm full of apologies for what layed ahead tomorrow after caping and quartering the boar
. 3 of us left camp with 3 empty back packs and one rifle and arrived at the road 9 hours and 9 mountain miles later. I had better get a bunch of sausage!!!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #94
chaser
pond jockey

One more thing. We have some beech nuts this year and a bunch in 2017 and it seems to us that we dislike these years more because the deer ( does) wander more and abandon the normal feeding and bedding areas. Anyone else agree with this???
Old 11-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #95
St.Regis

I know what you are saying, but if you found a stand of beech that produced a lot of nuts, the deer would be on it sooner or later - assuming they aren't pressured and pretty close to a bedding area
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #96
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
I know what you are saying, but if you found a stand of beech that produced a lot of nuts, the deer would be on it sooner or later - assuming they aren't pressured and pretty close to a bedding area
There's a lot of food out there and the deer can be scattered because of the widespread availability. Luckily, we've been able to pin some doe groups down because they usually stay tight to a good food source. And where there's girls..???. We got one at this spot two weeks ago and missed another. Today we got two on one drive. It was a good day. Will be in that vicinity more this coming week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Today.jpg (80.8 KB, 153 views)
Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #97
Woodly

I hope everyone in that photo gets a paper copy...its memorable.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #98
Edb 46 er

Congratulations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #99
OneStepAtATime

Got my first ADK buck (second deer ever) on 11/29/19 on public land in 5H.

https://imgur.com/KAkqTcW
https://imgur.com/r9vOYUk
https://imgur.com/tQJoQx1
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #100
skillzman1

Awesome, I've all but given up this year. Glad to see someone getting it done!