Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Corey7

Canoe/hike trip questions

Hello everyone,
I registered a while ago to this forum but have mostly been looking around and have yet to post anything. A group of four friends and I are planning a canoeing/hiking trip this summer from July 20th-August 1st. We're planning to do the 90-miler route from Old Forge to Saranac in around 5-6 days and then backpacking in the high peaks for a few more. We've been planning extensively but have a lot to still figure out concerning our boats and gear. I'm here to ask if anyone has any experience with any of the kayaks from Sea Eagle, specifically the 370 sport kayak or the 380x explorer. We're already bringing up two canoes with our two cars but we don't have a trailer so I'm thinking an inflatable might be the way to go for the 3rd boat. Also, if anyone has any advice to give on the route, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Corey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Inflatable kayaks generally aren't really designed for trips like the one you've got in mind. They are more for recreational "putz around on the lake for an afternoon" type use. Read some of the reviews for the 370... people mention that it doesn't track as well as a regular canoe/kayak (5-6 days of trying to keep up with the canoes is going to get pretty tiresome), and there's mention of leaks and seals coming apart (having the kayak suddenly lose pressure when you're at Raquette River Falls, miles from civilization, would certainly put a damper on your trip).

Have you thought about renting a canoe? There are places in both Old Forge and Saranac Lake that you can rent from. Of course, either way, you'd still need to transport the canoe... but you might be able to work something out with the outfitters...

A few suggestions on the route:

There is limited camping available on the Fulton Chain of Lakes. You may end up having to camp at one of the DEC campgrounds- if you decide to do this, you should make reservations in advance just in case.

If at all possible, do the Long Lake to Stony Pond section on weekdays. The Raquette River fills up with motor boats on the weekend, and Raquette River Falls and the various lean-tos along the river develop something of a party atmosphere.

If you have the time to do so, take a side paddle up the Cold River, and hike from Pine Point to Shattuck Clearing. Bit of interesting history there- there use to be a ranger station on the river there (long gone now). It's one of the more remote spots in the Adirondacks, and will be a nice change of pace from what you'll experience on most of the Adirondack Canoe Route. There are two lean-tos right on the Cold River a little ways upstream from where the ranger station used to be, and they are ideal camping spots.

Are you really going all the way to Saranac, or did you mean to write Saranac Lake? (Saranac is a town midway between Saranac Lake and Plattsburgh, also on the Saranac River) If you are going as far as Saranac, keep in mind too that there is limited camping available downstream of Franklin Falls.

Last edited by DSettahr; 04-10-2012 at 03:54 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Waterspyder

Have to agree with the recommendation to rent a canoe instead of using inflatable boats. Also consider the carries (portages) in the section you are planning on doing. You have a few mile long carries on the section you plan on paddling; so you may want to consider how you are going to carry your gear - carts, yokes, etc... When people do the 90 miler they are normally supported and only bring the limited food and water with them. From the sounds of your plans you'll be carrying at least 5-6 days worth of food plus camping gear.
Waterspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Corey7

Thanks guys. We have more canoes, its just the transport of them thats the problem. We will consider renting one. DSettahr I did mean Saranac Lake sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
madmike

I might be able to help with the shuttle by doing the trip in the other direction. (we meet in OF, I load my kit on your truck, and drive it to SL, paddle back.)
Mike handcutdovetail@gmail.com
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Corey7

Madmike i'll email you. Thanks for the offer we have been having trouble figuring out how we're going to get our suv up to saranac. Talking to the guy at Mountainman in Old Forge, they said they won't drive it up for us.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I think Random Scoots took over the NPT shuttle service from Redhawk. You might be able to enlist their services as well. http://randomscoots.com/

EDIT: Here's the official email to contact for info about shuttling services: shuttle.npt@gmail.com

You might also try PMing him directly: http://www.adkforum.com/member.php?u=1136
Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
coldfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I think Random Scoots took over the NPT shuttle service from Redhawk. You might be able to enlist their services as well. http://randomscoots.com/

EDIT: Here's the official email to contact for info about shuttling services: shuttle.npt@gmail.com

You might also try PMing him directly: http://www.adkforum.com/member.php?u=1136

Scoots is the man! I stayed at his cabin with some friends a few winters back for the ADKHP gathering, nice guy!
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
adkladies

We have a cargo van that we transport our canoes with. The main rack can hold 3 canoes across but when we need to carry more we put boards across the loaded canoes and then strap 1 or 2 on top of that.

With my pond hopping boats - i can load 2 on my rack on my suberu and then i take a couple of those pool noodles and place the 3rd canoe on top of those and strap down - works great so far.
adkladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Corey7

Thanks for all of the info and help guys. Dsettahr I'm going to get in contact with the shuttle service you mentioned and see what they can do. I've also been looking around online and figure I can probably modify the rack of our suv to be able to fit two canoes sort of like what adkladies said and then put one on the other car.
On a side note: Dsettahr I saw on another thread that you're a Paul Smith's alumn. I'm going there in the fall!

Last edited by Corey7; 04-11-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
RichieC

Canoe Rack

Rent or borrow a snowmobile type trailer. Make sure the bearings are packed with grease, and its used often ( not stored for 10 years and you are the first to dig it out...) If you are carefull, you can get 3 - 4 boats plus most/all of your gear on one, get some packing blankets to keep 'em from grinding on each other, ( pipe insulation on gunnels works too) tie 'em good. Between your top rack and the trailer, you can get it done in one trip, and maybe all ride in the same car. What money you save on gas, can go toward the trailer.

By the way... that is a LONG paddle for someone who considered inflatables might be a good idea, not saying you can't, but perhaps a few shorter trips first to work out the kinks are in order. Get paddling gloves though.

Once you get through Paul Smiths, you'll be able to do it backwards, eat raw trout, start a fire with wet rags and we won't talk about what aspects you'll learn to find attractive in women... LOL.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
ADKpete

Not to mention author fascinating trip reports week after week, trip after trip keeping forum members on the edge of their seats waiting in exhaustive anticipation of what may have been seen "this time".
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Corey7

Yeah Richie C we've done some shorter trips for 1-2 days before but have never seen or tried inflatables so I was just wondering about them. Thanks for the concern though. And yeah i'm pretty physched for Paul Smith's haha.
We considered a trailer but my Dad isn't too cool with the idea of us driving the car up with one. I'll talk to him about it.

Last edited by Corey7; 04-13-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Cahill
Lost

Corey - We do shuttles out of the Old Forge area also. PM me if interested.
Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
EarthBound
JeepGirl

[QUOTE=DSettahr;184361]Inflatable kayaks generally aren't really designed for trips like the one you've got in mind. They are more for recreational "putz around on the lake for an afternoon" type use. QUOTE]

I'd agree to a point. I would submit that there is a really fun (and most appropriate) situation for inflatables. We bought a couple of backpack inflatables (not cheap) for floating down the Genesee River through Letchworth State Park during the very low-water summer months, anthing else (plastic kayaks/canoes) gets gouged and scratched from the rock strewn low waters and honestly isn't fun to use (lots of wading and towing the plastic kayaks to deeper waters). We took the inflatables on Silver Lake (our front yard) when we first got them to check them out and found they track horrible on flat water, but that wasn't what we bought them for. Inflatables have a place, touring never, but short day trips in low-water situations with some current are fine.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
Inflatables have a place, touring never, but short day trips in low-water situations with some current are fine.
If I was going to be floating down a shallow river with lots of rocks that I'd be for sure scraping against, I think I'd rather spend $15 on a tube, than several hundred on an inflatable kayak.

Last edited by DSettahr; 04-16-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
ADKpete

X2, this is how most always travel the west Canada Creek from Poland down to Herkimer, anything else would more than likely be destroyed.