Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
alavigne
Andrew

Skylight via the long way 6/23/2019

Decided to do a route I'd never done before - a climb of Skylight via the Elk Lake trailhead on 6/23/2019. Longer but quieter (than the standard approaches). Suprisingly still pretty wet in places, even in late June. Full TR:

https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageG...6-23-Skylight/

Last edited by alavigne; 07-01-2019 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: added date
alavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
tgoodwin

Great report. But I will note that the boardwalk in Marcy Swamp was mostly the work of ATIS. We had major financial help from the ADK46-Rs that paid for a significant share of the cost of the materials, and the DEC flew the material. Unfortunately, they couldn't drop the material on the trail, so a Student Conservation Association crew hauled maybe half of it through the swamp to the trail. This "head start" allowed the ATIS crew to finish the job in 3-1/2 weeks, getting a bit of help from the DEC the final week.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #3
rickhart

Thanks for the report & great photos. It's a great area. And yes, parts of the route are very wet. Last year, at this time, part of the Marcy Swamp boardwalk was under several inches of water. And the trail crossing of Marcy brook near the leanto can be impossible after heavy rain (although you'd still have the exciting option of going up Haystack instead). I think you chose a good warmup for your western trip -- have fun with that!
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
richard1726

Wonderful report, nice description to remind me of those trails. I climbed Allan in 1992 via your Elk lake trail. My final 46er and my buddy's first. Epic bushwhack. No swamp boardwalk.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
alavigne
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
Great report. But I will note that the boardwalk in Marcy Swamp was mostly the work of ATIS. We had major financial help from the ADK46-Rs that paid for a significant share of the cost of the materials, and the DEC flew the material. Unfortunately, they couldn't drop the material on the trail, so a Student Conservation Association crew hauled maybe half of it through the swamp to the trail. This "head start" allowed the ATIS crew to finish the job in 3-1/2 weeks, getting a bit of help from the DEC the final week.
Thanks - I'll amend that bit of the text.
alavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
tenderfoot

Nicely done

Thank you for this trip report (and the rest of your site, a new find for me).

We have been holding off with summer peak climbs due to traffic and over use. Last year we did Rocky Peak / Giant from New Russia - taking the road less traveled.

This may be just the ticket for us to sneak up on Haystack, Skylight and Gray. Only bottle neck is the Elk Lake parking lot but a weekday would fix that.

Or does anyone know if one can leave a bike chained in the lot? Is that poor form? Drop gear and hiker #1, park up at Clear Pond, hiker #2 cycles the 2 miles back. Reverse it at the end.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Thank you for this trip report (and the rest of your site, a new find for me).

We have been holding off with summer peak climbs due to traffic and over use. Last year we did Rocky Peak / Giant from New Russia - taking the road less traveled.

This may be just the ticket for us to sneak up on Haystack, Skylight and Gray. Only bottle neck is the Elk Lake parking lot but a weekday would fix that.

Or does anyone know if one can leave a bike chained in the lot? Is that poor form? Drop gear and hiker #1, park up at Clear Pond, hiker #2 cycles the 2 miles back. Reverse it at the end.
I left a bike at TH and parked car 2 miles out. Worked fine. Stashed in woods, leaning against a tree. Managed to leave key to padlock in lot on way out, so if anyone finds a very old very small key, please pm me.

You should be fine midweek, unless people park like morons as they did the day I was there...
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote