Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
mountaintony

gas or candle

going on a 3 night hot tenting in ontario canada, it gets -40 at night -10 to -15 during the day gas or batteries ?????
mountaintony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

White Gas. Isobutane won't perform and batteries won't last long
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
richard1726

White gas for cooking and candles in wind proof candle lanterns. Put some Al foil on one 1/2 of the lantern as a reflector.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
richard1726

White gas for cooking and candles in wind proof candle lanterns. Put some Al foil on one 1/2 of the lantern as a reflector. Leave you batteries at home.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

batteries wont last long under 50 degrees. the colder it is the quicker they die.
mmetzgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmetzgier View Post
batteries wont last long under 50 degrees. the colder it is the quicker they die.

Lithium AA/AAA batteries will perform very well in close to 0 ( and maybe even lower ) temps. I've used them in GPS's and digital cameras with no problem. They are however, insanely expensive.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
Lithium AA/AAA batteries will perform very well in close to 0 ( and maybe even lower ) temps. I've used them in GPS's and digital cameras with no problem. They are however, insanely expensive.
Great prices on ebay for lithium batteries. Under $1 per AAA battery for bulk purchases. I know someone on this forum who's purchased them through ebay and had good luck.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
bioguide

Batteries are fine if your hot tenting...the tent is warm. I use a candle lantern and a battery headlamp. Leave the gas at home. You might want to check out: http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
yellowcanoe

You're hot tenting.. hot tents are just that. While you mignt want a headlamp with a battery pack worn close to your torso while chopping wood in the dark, the inside of your tent will be toasty and you will be in long underwear top only.

Minus forty is not a big deal. Remember when you are out in those temperatures you will be working. and not have a spare hand to carry a gas lantern. And I doubt you would enjoy wearing one on your head.

Inside your tent it will be warm. As this seems to be your very first outing, I think you are going to be far more comfortable than you now believe you can be.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

lithium ion is the way to go i use em in my gps they last much much longer but they still seem to die quicker in freezing temps.
mmetzgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
richard1726

At -40 you can dip a 1/4"D stick in ice water multipule times building up a layer of ice like dipping a wick in melted wax and making a candle (I never even bothered trying at 0F). At -40 plan on everything taking twice as long as at 0, it's very difficult to use you fingers and you don't want to exert your self to the point of getting wet with sweat.