Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
mountaintony

winter

hey fellow campers, i am interested in doing some hot tenting in the Adirondack wilderness any help would be appreciated
mountaintony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintony View Post
hey fellow campers, i am interested in doing some hot tenting in the Adirondack wilderness any help would be appreciated
July and August it gets pretty hot.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

I would like to know too. I am not much into dragging a tent in too far by toboggan, so something within half a mile of a road or a parking area where the car won't get slammed by a plow is sought.

I have some sites picked out in the Whites..but not the ADK's.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
bioguide

Mason Lake has easy parking as there is a parking area right at the lake. I've hot tented there before. You can either drop right onto the lake from the parking lot and cut across the lake or pull the toboggan around following the snowmobile path, which is pretty easy. I've also hot tented on Thirteenth Lake which has easy access, you drive right to it as well. I've hot tented at Good Luck Lake and Chubb Lake also and there is a parking area just south and before the bridge/culvert crossing on route 10 (as you are driving north). You can ice fish on Mason, Good Luck, and Chubb Lakes howerver not Thirteenth Lake. Anyways, those are a few of the easier places we've hot tented at. This coming January we are planning an extended trip to Indian Lake which I'm certain we'll likely have to dig out a parking area for ourselves before we can head in.

Bioguide
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Moss Lake should be easy to put up a hot tent.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
EagleCrag

Pardon my ignorance, but what is hot tenting? Is that simply a tent with a heater?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
bioguide

Hot tenting is usually refered to winter camping using a canvas tent and a wood stove. And for those that haul/pull their gear over the snow/ice using a toboggan its usually refered to as tradational winter camping. For me its the best time of year to go camping.

Heres all about "hot tennting" info: http://wintertrekking.com/equipment/hot-tenting/ "“Hot Tenting” is the traditional way to get in out of the deep cold, dry out, relax and luxuriate in the warmth of a woodstove. As the weather drops to below -30, maybe even below -40, and the trees are cracking, and the lake ice is booming, and the wind is howling, you and your buddies are happily inside the big tent in your shirt sleeves enjoying food, beverages, and pleasant conversation in the glow of candle light and headlamps. Your clothing and sleeping gear dries without effort in the beautiful heat. It is an extremely satisfying way to travel and live in the bush in winter."
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
mountaintony

couldn't sat it any better than that sir
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
mountaintony

thank you so much will try one these, ice fishing sounds great what kinda of fish
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
EagleCrag

I'd love to camp out on the ice some night and fish, but at my age am not about to invest in all the gear to do it. I suppose I could do it in my pop up shanty but would have to pick the right night to insure nothing tragic happened. I'd hate to see my shelter go sailing down the lake at 20 below. One can freeze mighty quickly in those temps with the wind blowing. I find the wind to be a much bigger enemy than the temperature when I'm ice fishing.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
mountaintony

hi can you tell how much is it to camp in these sites you gave me???
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

yes my kinda winter camping, heat and shelter....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
bioguide

During the winter, for the sites I gave you, it doesn't cost anything at the designated campsites. It's on a first come first serve basis... but you won't have any competition during the winter.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
mountaintony

thanks

thanks for your help
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
mountaintony

sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
yes my kinda winter camping, heat and shelter....
sorry can't see them don't know why