Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Royal Mt

Anyone skiing Royal this year?
I've been twice so far, and the place always impresses me. From the friendly chats with owner Jim, to the lack of lift lines, to the untouched side country stuff, it's a gem.

I skied it this past Saturday with about a foot of light powder over a breakable crust over another foot or so of dense, old snow. Woods were tricky, crust was softer higher on the mountain, firmer as you go lower. Easy to find virgin lines in the trees, every run down!

Here's yours truly (I hope), on one of the more trampled tree runs, this one even is on the trail map.

And here's my son, after a too late turn that stranded him in a drainage...

Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Anyone skiing Royal this year?
I've been twice so far, and the place always impresses me. From the friendly chats with owner Jim, to the lack of lift lines, to the untouched side country stuff, it's a gem.
We skied there on Sunday 2/3 ... started out foggy with our goggles icing up a bit but before too long the clouds thinned out & the sun appeared for the afternoon. Conditions were very good ... made for a very enjoyable day! Any day I get to ski with my granddaughter is a GREAT day!!

I'd post a photo but it's such a PITA to have to resize photos to post on here ... oh well.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
ghiamonster

Funny to see this, went to Royal with friends Sunday morning and had some of the best eastern conditions I've gotten in the past few years. The place really is a great reset after doing big resort type places.

Did wind up in a similar position a few times when venturing into the trees.
ghiamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
OntarioSkiBum

I almost went to Oak Mountain Friday, but due to a last minute route change to Lake Placid (I had to pick up a buddy in Toronto), I ended up snowshoeing instead.

Would Oak be similar to Royal? Stripperguy's TR makes me wish I would have gone boarding instead!
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Kevin,
It was just about 0F when our day started, ended up in the teens, still a fine day.
Even got a tour of "the ladies tee" from Johnny, bartender there for the past 7 years.

ghia,
It's a throwback to all of the places I skied when I was younger. There are still others like it...Plattekill, Hickory, Magic, Mad, McCauley, etc.
I used to live in Pattersinville, there were 4 ski areas within 30 minutes. I had to drive down the mountain to ski at Eagle Mountain!!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
I almost went to Oak Mountain Friday, but due to a last minute route change to Lake Placid (I had to pick up a buddy in Toronto), I ended up snowshoeing instead.

Would Oak be similar to Royal? Stripperguy's TR makes me wish I would have gone boarding instead!
OSB,
Genearally speaking, Oak is less challenging than Royal
But the views on Oak are much better IMHO
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Fisheater

Mike,
It looks like the snow is pretty good. I am thinking about taking my son to NY State for some skiing. It is approximately 8 hrs to the UP Michigan ski hill that I have taken him. That was his first time skiing a "mountain" as opposed to glacially deposited hills. NY State is closer than Vermont to Michigan, and my son being an intermediate I am confident he would enjoy both the NY terrain and drive time. I remember you posted some photos of Plattekill that peaked my interest. What other areas should I look at?
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Let's see...
Plattekill is in the Catskills, base elevation is 2,000 ft so it gets and holds better snow than you might expect. There's some steep terrain, and they have an open slope policy (ski wherever you wish, but if you're injured, drag yourself to an open trail). It's rarely busy.

Catamount in Hillsdale is a fun place, very reasonably priced and also gets some good snow when the Nor'easters come through.

MCauley Mt in Old Forge is tons of fun too, similar to Platte but smaller. It's got some gnarly terrain and gets great snow.

Snow Ridge in Turin is a long ridge with but 500 vertical. It's in prime position for lake effect snows and gets around 300-400 inches a year. There's some fun stuff far skiers left, most of the terrain is decidedly mild. Again, rarely busy.

There are others like Swain, Song, Toggenburg, etc but I have no direct knowledge of them.

Unfortunately one of the best areas is closed (and maybe forever). Hickory in Warrensburg is known as the little brother to Mad River Glen. When they had snow, there was no place better...very challenging and one of the best vibes ever. I grew up skiing there, very sad to see it fade away.

There's also my favorite BC ski spot, mostly in NY, but also in MA.
PM me for details if you think you might want to do some BC skiing.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Fisheater

Mike, I would love to BC ski, but right now if I am skiing on the road it will be with my son. He's 16, and he will still associate with me, so long as he wants to hang with me I'm happy. He isn't ready or interested in any BC skiing. However I would like to show him some new places and some bigger terrain.
Thank you, for the information. I am disappointed to hear Hickory is closed. It wasn't that long ago you posted some nice photos of you and Hickory Skier at Hickory.
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
JW

Royal is fantastic - coming from a former whiteface employee - Grooming is the best - snowmaking is right up to gore and whiteface standards - and the glades are great. best part of the glades is coming up to a tree stand one time - guess i was a little far off.... And Johnny in the Velcro Lounge is the best.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Not sure where you are in Michigan, but closest to the Detroit area, and worth driving to, would be Holiday Valley or Bristol.

Holiday Valley has less vertical, but has more acreage. Bristol has more vert, but less acreage. I believe both would be bigger than anything in Michigan. Bristol I'm sure is because they tout being the biggest from the Adirondacks to the Rockies.

Both being on the Allegany Plateau, they have similar attributes. Bristol doesn't have any tree skiing, but depending on the weather, that might not be an issue.

From Detroit it's probably around 6 hours to either.

There are a couple other small places in Western NY, but probably not really worth the trip. If you are out for a week and want to ski multiple places, then you might try Swain, Greek Peak, or maybe even Hunt Hollow if you are there on a Wed to Fri and the weather is decent. Hunt Hollow has a couple of the steepest, and narrowest runs of any of those places.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I'll give you a ski lesson. Bend your knees, watch out for the trees, $25 please.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
Frankonix

Quote:
"I'll give you a ski lesson. Bend your knees, watch out for the trees, $25 please."
Hahaha! Don't forget - "Scream in panic."
Frankonix is offline   Reply With Quote