Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Edb 46 er

Gone Backpacking

Middle Settlement Lake
Old 08-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Edb 46 er

Beautiful hike, I had to go to MiddleBranch Lake. MiddleSettlement was booked. The mosquitos had no mercy on me in the evening. They were big as Crows and as thirsty for blood as Dracula.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, Middle Settlement can be popular. Middle Branch tends to get a little bit less use but even that area can get busy.

If you ever get a chance to head north to East Pond, that area gets less use.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Edb 46 er

During my stay at MiddleBranch, a gentlemen came in on a day hike and chatted of a once used camp in the area that was part of an early railroad system for logging. He explained he had a 1912 series map which included old buildings and a railroad bed in the area. According to his findings, all he found were remnants of some rusty metal and such. I found this of some interest. I would like to delve into this further, this area is intriguing.
I also came in on the easement side of the trail system and the logging has since ended.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Edb 46 er

If you ever get a chance to head north to East Pond, that area gets less use.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the direction DSettahr.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Yeah, Middle Settlement can be popular. Middle Branch tends to get a little bit less use but even that area can get busy.

If you ever get a chance to head north to East Pond, that area gets less use.
How is the Pine Lake Lean-to?
ILikeRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post
How is the Pine Lake Lean-to?
When I stayed there back in 2012, it appeared to get less use than either the Middle Settlement or Middle Branch Lean-tos. But it also looked like there'd been issues with illegal ATVs driving past the lean-to at one point- nothing recent that I saw, but it looked like it had been a problem in the past.

I know that there's been on-going issues with illegal ATV use up near Big Otter Lake. And on a more recent trip in 2016, ATVs were riding up and down the Big Otter Truck Trail (which bisects the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness).
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
When I stayed there back in 2012, it appeared to get less use than either the Middle Settlement or Middle Branch Lean-tos. But it also looked like there'd been issues with illegal ATVs driving past the lean-to at one point- nothing recent that I saw, but it looked like it had been a problem in the past.

I know that there's been on-going issues with illegal ATV use up near Big Otter Lake. And on a more recent trip in 2016, ATVs were riding up and down the Big Otter Truck Trail (which bisects the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness).
Thanks. I like to snowshoe to Middle Settlement and Middle Branch, definitely will check out the East Pond area this winter then.
ILikeRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
Edb 46 er

Is Big Otter Lake considered Wilderness area?
Old 08-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The eastern shoreline of the lake is the boundary line of the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness, but the lake itself is not considered to be within the Wilderness.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
Roy Wires

Illegal ATV's

I got an illegal ATV on my trail cam set up in that area, complete with license plate number. I took it to the local ranger and only got an Oh Hum response. So much for pursuing illegal ATV use.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Edb 46 er

Strange, you think they would be interested. They may have already knew of such activities.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

There's dead wood in every organization.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #14
Wldrns

There's an old logging road/trail coming into Big Otter from the west in Lewis County that frequently sees illegal ATV use, and the damage is quite evident as they veer off to their newly created trails off the main access road. The only thing keeping them from going further east is they cannot get across a bridge at the outlet of the lake. This has been the situation for decades. Legislators and LE in Lewis County are extremely pro ATV, and claim a big financial benefit no matter how they are used.

I was hiking on the east side of the lake one time and witnessed ATVs running on the other side actually in the shallow water up and down along the shallow sandy bottom western shore. There's a clearing at the former site of an old hotel where they like to congregate.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Not sure how, but the atvs have been able to cross to the eastern side. I was close to the outlet 2 years ago (iirc) and a couple drove up on atvs from the western side.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #16
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wires View Post
I got an illegal ATV on my trail cam set up in that area, complete with license plate number. I took it to the local ranger and only got an Oh Hum response. So much for pursuing illegal ATV use.
I would keep pushing it. Call Albany, maybe? It also helps when others call it in. You may be in the right, but DEC will listen if enough voices sing out.

Last edited by dundee; 09-01-2019 at 07:08 PM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
I would keep pushing it. Call Albany, maybe? It also helps when others call it in. You may be n the right, but DEC will listen if enough voices sing out.
Agreed!
Too many people see & witness illegal activity in the forest preserve and do nothing about it but complain about it on the internet.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #18
Roy Wires

Trail Cam Pic

Unfortunately that Middle Settlement illegal ATV trail cam pic was taken in the summer of 2018.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote