Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Vinegar

Replacing leanto log books...

On my last few hikes I've noticed that many leantos no longer have log books. I prefer a tent, but when I pass a shelter I like to see who came before me and what they had to say. Most recent, I did an overnight at Echo Lake a few weeks ago and neither of the leantos coming in from Platte Clove had a book, nor did the one at the lake, but that's not the only example.

Is there anything wrong with packing some comp books when planning a hike past a shelter? Or, like trail maintenance, cairn building, fire rings, etc., is it something that should be left to the official caretakers?
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I see missing log books a lot too.
It's pretty common.
Probably depends on the care taker (if there is one), and how often they visit the lean-to and check on things, and how much use the lean-to gets.
Who knows, maybe they get stolen. Evidently, some people rip the pages out to start their campfire.

If I pass an unoccupied lean-to, I also like to stop in and see what's been happening and say "hi" if there's a log book.
I'm not one to encourage leaving things behind...many things often unnecessarily get left behind at lean-tos...but I don't have a problem with someone leaving behind a note book at a lean-to. Might be best to contact the DEC or ADK (etc) before doing so though.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

When I was at cr3 in June there was a new logbook. In it, it said something about someone taking them an he (Gary Kotch) had to replace them. I think the ones at Miller Falls an Ouluska were gone to but I can't be sure of it.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
rdl

I used to be a lean-to adopter and it was one of my responsibilities to take a new log book on my annual/semi-annual visits and replace the old one and mail to the person who was coordinating the lean-to adoption program. That person I believe forwarded the log book to the DEC.

If there is no log book I would assume they were used to start a fire or for some other purpose.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Platte Clove and Echo Lake are very high use overnight destinations. Unfortunately, it is more than likely that either the log books were used as kindling, or negligently left outside the lean-to where they were exposed to the elements. Both circumstances seem to happen with frustrating regularity at popular lean-tos.

I've seen log books last as long as 2 or 3 years (or more) at remote lean-tos that get little use. In contrast, I've seen log books last as little as 2 or 3 weeks after being replaced at popular, easily accessible lean-tos.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with hikers carrying out new log books on their own to replace ones that have gone missing, but it's worth mentioning that the "official" log books typically do contain information that may prove useful to those who read them (such as pertinent backcountry regulations that may be in effect for that area).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
HappyHiker

The thought of log book destruction makes me really sad. A log book is sacred object. I really look forward to reading every leanto log book. I get excited about it.
HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with hikers carrying out new log books on their own to replace ones that have gone missing, but it's worth mentioning that the "official" log books typically do contain information that may prove useful to those who read them (such as pertinent backcountry regulations that may be in effect for that area).
Good point, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
future46er

Leanto Log Book/ Registers

I have been a leanto adopter for many years.
A true highlight of my visits to my adopted site is the reading of the register! So far, no one has seen fit to remove the one from this leanto and the entries are a joy!
Poetry, prose, speculation, reaction, and so on. It's all there!
Some are from day hikers on the way to a nearby peak, others are from overnighters who appreciate the beauty of this site.

I do see missing pages, so I am certain that some fires are being started with select pages, hopefully blank ones!

I kindly ask that people DEFINITELY sign in and that they leave the register in the leantos. They are a chronicle of why we go to the forests!

ADK High Peaks-23/46
Saranac Lake 6er # 806
Catskill 3500 - 10/35
ADK Firetower Challenge - 18/23
future46er is offline   Reply With Quote