No announcement yet.

Keg party on Phelps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So anyone up for some keg stands at the next forum gathering?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
      So anyone up for some keg stands at the next forum gathering?
      No. But I'll share my joint with you if you are OK with burning some paper.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
        No. But I'll share my joint with you if you are OK with burning some paper.
        Sounds good, as long as you don't throw the roach in the fire while I'm grilling my rib-eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
          Sounds good, as long as you don't throw the roach in the fire while I'm grilling my rib-eye.
          I promise I won't. But I might need a rib-eye of my own as well

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
            I promise I won't. But I might need a rib-eye of my own as well
            Better yet, we'll bring the 'Hooka' so everyone can enjoy, eliminating the need to burn any paper.

Comment

Originally posted by rdl View Post
              How do you know this was a "frat style keg party" ? I saw one picture of three people possibly mugging for the camera, and pictures of other people standing around talking with glasses of beer in their hand.

I don't disagree that the summit of any mountain is not an appropriate venue for actions associated with frat keg parties. I just don't see any evidence of that behavior nor have I heard from anyone who was on the summit to give a first hand account of how raucous the partying was.
              Just an FYI, there is an "anonymous" comment on the most recent Almanac story who claims to have been a part of the summit party...

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20....html#comments

Comment

I like "Becca"'s comment on the article.

I read the aricle, all the comments, and this thread. Someone please tell me if I missed it...was there ONE PERSON who was ACTUALLY THERE who was offended by these guys having fun? Of course there's an internet full of people who are perpetually offended...yawn.

For God's sake, lighten up and have some fun. Or we might as well all just move to NJ, and declare the ADKs a "true wilderness" where no one is allowed to go at all (as has been discussed before in this forum).

Comment

Mr. Bhatt expressed his side of the story. He states the party was not in his honor, he did not organize it or the hiking group, and he is being singled out because he posted the photo.

His response is a curious blend of plausibility and naiveté. I suggest he learn the definition of the public-relations term "optics". If you're going to publish a photo to represent your low-key, easy-going, inoffensive, and responsible summit party, don't use the one of a woman held upside down over a beer keg.

Like I said earlier, all one could conclude from the first photo was that it was probably a loud party. He claims it wasn't even that because no one complained. OK, that's indicative of nothing because non-celebrants may feel their complaints will fall on deaf ears (or worse). Nevertheless, let's assume he's right about the volume (and why not, I wasn't there).

As Neil pointed out, making the charges stick will be difficult. Mr. Bhatt has denied organizing an oversized group. Apparently his group was small and the other groups were friends and friends of friends. How they all hiked to the same summit on the same day isn't explained nor why a "small group" would carry a beer keg. You'd bring a keg for big group, except no one knew it would become a big group, right? It just turned out that way.
                  Looking for views!

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
                    I like "Becca"'s comment on the article.

I read the aricle, all the comments, and this thread. Someone please tell me if I missed it...was there ONE PERSON who was ACTUALLY THERE who was offended by these guys having fun? Of course there's an internet full of people who are perpetually offended...yawn.

For God's sake, lighten up and have some fun. Or we might as well all just move to NJ, and declare the ADKs a "true wilderness" where no one is allowed to go at all (as has been discussed before in this forum).
                    I agree, and I liked the comment about there should be a legion for those who carry a keg to the summit of all 46.

Comment

For God's sake, lighten up and have some fun.
                      I agree as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                        How they all hiked to the same summit on the same day isn't explained nor why a "small group" would carry a beer keg. You'd bring a keg for big group, except no one knew it would become a big group, right? It just turned out that way.
                        Judge to a keg party participant: So, why did you hike to the top of Phelps?

Keg party participant: It was like this your honor, I was on my way to Marcy but then I heard there was free beer on Phelps. How was I supposed to know there were already 15 more hikers there?
                        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

The guy was the mountain version of the Pied Piper. He started up the mountain alone, except for his keg, and the other 14 people just followed. Followed the keg, that is, not him.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
                            At least they kept their clothes on , for now.
                            I have mixed feelings about all of this, and show this as an example...

On a similar page as Aspiring 46rs Facebook group, this picture was posted recently...one of the women was about to undergo a double mastectomy for breast cancer, and the picture was widely celebrated. But...given current society's compulsive need to be constantly offended, I'm sure someone on the summit was offended by this. How does one draw the line on appropriate behavior when everything you do offends someone today?

12108764_460660454118735_8263096779460433941_n.jpg
                            “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Winter Warlock, I was thinking more in lines with the attitude of say college spring breakers. Honestly I don't know what to make of today's society, we seem to be attention seekers, I miss what are now the old days and the people I knew then. I think alot of people do.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
                                Winter Warlock, I was thinking more in lines with the attitude of say college spring breakers. Honestly I don't know what to make of today's society, we seem to be attention seekers, I miss what are now the old days and the people I knew then. I think alot of people do.
                                I think Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc have turned many of us (and I'm guilty myself at times) into complete narcissists. But at the same time, it's also turned many into those who are easily offended by every little thing that doesn't fit their own paradigm.
                                “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Working...
                                X