Keg party on Phelps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
    The ranger got them on another technicality, but I'm thinking he/she used that to nail them for we all want to nail them for.
    For having a keg of Bud Light perhaps?

Comment

You want to have a few friends meet you on the summit, have a quiet celebration, maybe drink a few beers that one of them carried in, maybe a bottle of wine, champagne even... congrats and good for you.

But a keg party, complete with keg stands... on the summit of a mountain, in the forever wild high peaks...

It is over the top, completely inappropriate and Embarrassing.

The antithesis of everything I would hope to experience when in the mountains.

I'm hoping that those were just staged shots to be goofy for the camera, and that their celebration really wasn't a frat party

Comment

Well, there you go, a DEC regulation (max group size) was violated and the DEC addressed it. Done and done.

The Adirondack Explorer's article does not provide details about the party beyond labeling it a "keg party" (and all that that implies). Again, all that I can conclude from the image above was that it was probably loud with shouting and laughter. Annoying to non-celebrants? Very likely. Illegal? Not to my knowledge (but I don't know all the regulations).

Perhaps a loud and rambunctious party is not illegal, but it touches on something I had called (elsewhere) "conduct unbecoming a 46er".

The ADK 46ers organization supports the seven principles of Leave No Trace.

Brian Hoody said "... this kind of behavior is certainly inconsistent with the character and respect for the mountains that I expect of a 46er". I assume he suggested Mr Bhatt and his group failed to respect LNT principle #7:

Be Considerate of Other Visitors
        Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience.
        • Be courteous. Yield to other users on the trail.
        • Step to the downhill side of the trail when encountering pack stock.
        • Take breaks and camp away from trails and other visitors.
        Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.

Moral of the story: Planning a big raucous 46er party? Hold it in town and not on your final peak.

PS
        I've witnessed and participated in small and reasonably quiet celebrations on summits so it's not like it's an impossible goal.
        Last edited by Trail Boss; 10-14-2015, 11:49 AM. Reason: Typo.
        Looking for views!

Comment

It is over the top, completely inappropriate and Embarrassing.
          Would the outrage be any less if each participant had carried a 6 pack, rather than the group having a keg ?

this kind of behavior is certainly inconsistent with the character and respect for the mountains that I expect of a 46er
          Everyone has different expectations. And the celebrant may not even become a member of the ADK46r organization, so any values that are expected from a 46r member may not apply.

Comment

High Peaks summits are popular tourist attractions. That has a lot of implications including that they are especially crowded at times when people are off... weekends, holidays etc.

If NY wants a certain kind of behavior there, they're going to have to legislate and enforce. Those spots aren't exactly easy to reach and certainly can be dangerous, but for me backcountry is more than that.
            NYSB: NYSkiBlog.com

Comment

Originally posted by Holdstrong View Post
              You want to have a few friends meet you on the summit, have a quiet celebration, maybe drink a few beers that one of them carried in, maybe a bottle of wine, champagne even... congrats and good for you.
              Originally posted by rdl View Post
              Would the outrage be any less if each participant had carried a 6 pack, rather than the group having a keg ?
              That's a really touchy subject, and I think it's the matter of discretion.

I certainly would not be offended if someone was drinking on a summit or having a small, personal celebration, regardless of what they were drinking from.

I think the issue here becomes the manner in which they behave with their celebration and alcohol consumption. It simply does not support a manner which is mature and respectful towards others.

In my mind this is the issue.

It's no different than the group who decides to make noise until 2 am in morning while camping.

Respect for others. This should be held in the highest regard, ESPECIALLY on public land.

Comment

At least they kept their clothes on , for now.

Comment

I think we can all tell the difference between a rowdy, inappropriate party and a fun but quiet and respectful celebration. Independent of who carried what. The keg is an issue - for me - only in as much as it all but guarantees the former. So to answer your question, no, my outrage would be no less if everyone carried 6 packs and proceeded to shotgun and funnel their way to a rowdy summit party. And I would have no outrage if someone carried a small keg of beer to the top and they kept it under wraps and all sat around enjoying a beer while having a quiet, respectful celebration.

There are standards of common courtesy and decency based on where you happen to be. I can think of dozens and dozens of places where a frat style keg party is not appropriate or acceptable. The summit of a mountain in forever wild lands just happens to be one of them. That this is potentially up for debate truly concerns me.

Comment

Chances are the kid won't have to pay anything. It can be very difficult, after the fact, to prove that all (or 15 of) the participants were part of the same group. The planning thread and all other posts on FB have been erased.

This was a problem with huge groups (greater than 50) being organized on a Quebec meet-up group (Bougex). The rangers, who had been informed, said that the groups would get spread out along the trail and then everybody denied knowing everyone else.
                    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                      Chances are the kid won't have to pay anything. It can be very difficult, after the fact, to prove that all (or 15 of) the participants were part of the same group. The planning thread and all other posts on FB have been erased.

This was a problem with huge groups (greater than 50) being organized on a Quebec meet-up group (Bougex). The rangers, who had been informed, said that the groups would get spread out along the trail and then everybody denied knowing everyone else.
                      I hope that doesn't dissuade people from speaking their minds, or reporting offenses. Whether the guy gets off or not is less important than his being called out for his inappropriate behavior. What he does with that experience will play a role in shaping his future. As well as that of others who might have thought his behavior was reasonable.
                      Scooting here and there
                      Through the woods and up the peaks
                      Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."â„¢

Comment

I once saw a group of guys smoking a joint and hooting & hollering on the summit of Pharaoh Mountain, and I thought to myself..."How rude! They didn't even ask me if wanted to join them."

Comment

I can think of dozens and dozens of places where a frat style keg party is not appropriate or acceptable
                          How do you know this was a "frat style keg party" ? I saw one picture of three people possibly mugging for the camera, and pictures of other people standing around talking with glasses of beer in their hand.

I don't disagree that the summit of any mountain is not an appropriate venue for actions associated with frat keg parties. I just don't see any evidence of that behavior nor have I heard from anyone who was on the summit to give a first hand account of how raucous the partying was.

Comment

Originally posted by randomscooter View Post
                            I hope that doesn't dissuade people from speaking their minds, or reporting offenses. Whether the guy gets off or not is less important than his being called out for his inappropriate behavior. What he does with that experience will play a role in shaping his future. As well as that of others who might have thought his behavior was reasonable.
                            Agreed!

Of interest is one of my FB friends and ADKHP member who posted that he got booted from the Aspiring 46ers FB group for reminding people to respect group size and not to take glass containers.
                            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                              ..he got booted from the Aspiring 46ers FB group for reminding people to respect group size and not to take glass containers.
                              A sober dose of reality delivered during a roaring party? No wonder he was shown the door!

Perhaps I harbor an old-fashioned notion of what it is to be an ADK 46er (club member or not). Hiking 46 summits without developing respect and appreciation for the backcountry is falling short of the original challenge.

For aspiring 46ers, the ADK 46er challenge is more than crossing off 46 list items. Please adopt their principles as well as their list (which, as you know, doesn't contain the 46 highest peaks in the Adirondacks). That's the total challenge and not just the athletic part of scaling peaks.

The ADK 46ers' adherence to LNT principles is praiseworthy. LNT is effectively a set of "good neighbor" policies for the backcountry. Here they are but completely opposite to their original wording. These "Anti-LNT Principles" sound like standard hiking practices decades ago!

The Seven Anti-LNT Principles
                              or
                              How to ruin it for everyone

Do no planning or preparation.
                              • Ignore regulations.
                              • Prepare for nothing.
                              • Hike only in peak season.
                              • Visit in large groups.
                              • Mark your passage with flagging/paint/cairns/blazes.

Travel and camp anywhere.
                              • Walk on the grass.
                              • Camp at the water's edge.
                              • Good campsites are made not found.

Dispose of waste improperly.
                              • Pack it in, leave it there.
                              • Deposit human waste in piles anywhere.
                              • Decorate the area with toilet paper.
                              • Wash dishes and yourself directly in streams and lakes.

Never leave what you find.
                              • Don't forget the past; bring cultural objects home.
                              • Take whatever rocks and plants you find.
                              • Introduce non-native species.
                              • Build structures, furniture, and dig trenches.

Maximize campfire impacts.
                              • You're surrounded by fuel; campfires rule.
                              • Never use an existing fire-ring.
                              • Cut down trees. Make enormous fires.
                              • Leave your fire burning for the next group.

Disrespect wildlife.
                              • Get as close as you can to wildlife.
                              • Feed animals. It makes them come closer.
                              • Leave food and trash anywhere.
                              • Let your pets roam free.
                              • Approach wildlife anytime including mating, nesting, raising young, etc.

Be inconsiderate of other visitors.
                              • It's your hike, do as you please wherever you please.
                              • Force other hikers out of your way.
                              • Spook pack animals out of your way.
                              • Take breaks, and camp, directly on the trail.
                              • Let nature know who's the loudest SOB on the planet.

(The actual LNT Principles.)
                              Looking for views!

Comment

How do you know this was a "frat style keg party" ?
                                The keg stands tipped me off.

Comment

Working...
                                X