Levon Helm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levon Helm

Levon Helm passed away yesterday at age 71. I bet more than a few on here have sat around a campfire singing songs from The Band. He will be missed by many.

You got that right!

Ed

Comment

Take the Load of Fanny

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANND

You put the load right on me.
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

My Fav is ... "Atlantic City".... I went and saw him in Woodstock NY at a Ramble in 2007 or 08....What a night.... The Band was one of the groups that CHANGED music forever... RIP...Levon

OH.... Best Scene EVER....."Shooter".... Levon at his FINEST...watchit

Comment

RIP Levon

I bet there's a lot of people walking around today with that great music in there heads, I am for sure.

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
          Take the Load of Fanny

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANND

You put the load right on me.
          BTW, I always thought it was "Take a load off Fanny", but is it "Take a load off Annie"?
          ~~Leave no trace~~

Comment

Originally posted by snav3 View Post
            I bet there's a lot of people walking around today with that great music in there heads, I am for sure.

BTW, I always thought it was "Take a load off Fanny", but is it "Take a load off Annie"?
            The Bands version (with levon Helm leading the vocals was "Take the Load Off Fannie". That's also the version that was in "Easy rider". However as originally written by band member Robbie Robertson, the original chorus lyric was "Take the load off Anny".
            "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Some of you guys of my generation (or older) must remember just how radical The Band was when they first appeared on the scene. Music From Big Pink was unlike anything we'd ever heard. I was lucky enough to see Levon a number of times. He'll certainly play on in another place and time. Long may he be remembered!
              Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Levon Helm - Only Halfway Home

How about a little dirt farmer music pilgrims...

Levon is "Only Halfway Home"...... Blow your horn

A short film inspired by and featuring music from Levon Helm's GRAMMY Award winning album Dirt Farmer. "Calvary" (Byron Isaacs); (BMI) "Poor Old Dirt Farmer...

Thebluesman

Comment

Nice article about Levon Helm. It would have been something to attend one of these "Midnight Ramble" shows at his house.

Levon Helm of The Band found an unlikely path back to fame after decades of disappointment. But by the end, the homespun singer from Turkey Scratch, Ark., had come full circle.

"...All he was doing was biding his time,” says Anna Lee Amsden, Helm’s lifelong friend and the “Anna Lee” in the lyrics of “The Weight,” the group’s classic song."

Take a load off, Annie
                  Take a load for free
                  Take a load off, Annie
                  And (and) (and) you put the load right on me
                  (You put the load right on me)

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
                  It's just ol' Luke and Luke's waitin' on the Judgment Day
                  "Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
                  He said, "Do me a favor, son, won'tcha stay and keep Anna Lee company?"

I heard The Band in the early 80's during their second reunion tour at Plattsburgh State in Hawkins Hall (kind of ironic). I say heard because we were poor college student and had no money so we snuck in and sat above the stage in a small alcove that use to hold speakers. We could lookout through the lattice and see the crowd and the front of the stage. Great place to "see" a show the music sort of rose up to meet us.

Here is one of the best covers of a great song.

OCMS join Gillian and David Rawlings for an encore at St Lukes in London. This was broadcast on BBC4

Comment

Martin Sexton did a cool tribute. Check it out at www.martinsexton.com
                    http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

Working...
                    X