Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
bubba

Verizon user and I have found certain spots where there is a signal.

In Keene, for example, heading west on Rt 73 toward LP, just across the bridge pull over next to the RC Church's front lawn. A small cell offers decent service.

I'm trying to recall other similar cells...
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #22
hikersteve
me on algonquin

im verizon and it works well in the sara-placid region. out of 10 high peak summits, so far it has only worked on 2- street and nye (maybe because there close to lake placid)

Id rather be hiking.
hikersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #23
Edelweiss

I have a Verizon service contract but rarely use my cell in the Adirondacks. We initially purchased a family plan for our 2 sons when they went away to college because the coverage was more comprehensive in areas in and outside of NYS. As you said, BC, most college students depend on their cell phones for communication - not land lines. Nowadays I will bring the cell to the Daks when we hike but won't use it on the trail. I tell myself that we will use it for emergencies but, with the spotty coverage, it probably wouldn't be of much use. I don't plan on any coverage as we come down the Northway until we reach Lake George/Queensbury area.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #24
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Have Verizon (personal) & Cingular (company issue) and have found the Verizon coverage better than others, although service in the Dak's is spotty. I'm at the point in life that I don't always care if I'm reachable or not so I don't get too excited about whether or not I have service (leave a message and I'll get back to you when [or if ] I feel like it). If I felt it absolutely necessary to have service in remote areas (elderly father & father-in-law), or company issues were involved, I suppose I would take one of the Sat. phone we have at work, but those are $$ just to have and even more $$$ if you use it, but, in case of emergency...

How did we ever survive back in the pre-cellphone days
Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
Daniel Eagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee
My cell phone is not healthy and will need to be replaced. I hate to do it because it means signing up for a new plan and I've got a real cheap one from about five years ago.
You can usually buy your own cell phone and apply it to your current plan. Your carrier will probably charge a fee to activate it, but I think you're allowed to keep your old plan with the new phone if you want.
Daniel Eagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
MD Cuse
46R # 5130

I have Cingular. At our camp between Old Forge and Inlet (off South Shore Rd) I can get service if I go out on the deck towards the lake but not reliable in the house.

Service is good in Old Forge town but get nothing in Eagle Bay or Inlet. Continuing up towards the high peaks area can briefly get a signal near Blue Mtn Lake, get pretty good signal in Long Lake, very good in Tupper/Saranac/Lake Placid. Then practically nothing thru Keene/Kene Valley to the Northway.

Have used the phone on the top of Skylight. Tried to order a pizza but the guy wouldn't deliver. (actually just called my father so he could talk to my brother who just finished his 46).
MD Cuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #27
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Eagan
You can usually buy your own cell phone and apply it to your current plan. Your carrier will probably charge a fee to activate it, but I think you're allowed to keep your old plan with the new phone if you want.
Just to add to this...

Make sure the cell phone you choose is compatible/allowed on your cell phone company's network. Easiest way to do this is to shop online with your current carrier, find a phone that interests you, then head off to ebay and buy the phone there .

MD Cuse, I offered the pizza guy $500 for 1 hour delivery to the top of Marcy. He balked. Well they lost my business!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #28
Matthew196

Lightbulb Problems with Cell Phone in the Adirondacks

Yes it would be nice for cell phone signal to be to most parts of the Adirondacks, plus now there are ways to make cell towers look like the environment...

However there is ONE main issue... The APA (Adirondack Park Agency) who responsible for governing all rules of thought the park WILL NOT ALLOW CELL TOWERS!!!

Even if it was your land in the park, they STILL govern and have all say if a cell tower can be built on your land... As it IS A FOREST RESERVE PARK!!!

The only reason Tupper Lake and Blue Mountain Lake have them is because of police incidents that have happened in the past...

I have talked to a local person who installs cell towers as part of his job and that's what he told me...

Yes CDMA phone work relatively well in the Adirondack's but they DO have there dead spots also!!!!

However if someone REQUIRES a cell phone when they travel and do a LOT of traveling thought the Adirondack's, SATELLITE PHONES may be your best choice here!!!

Such as Global Star phones... Yes EXPENSIVE but if you need to have a phone this is the way to go!!!!
Matthew196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #29
serotonin
ember

Damn!
I thought my English was bad...!

Maybe I just got a bad innernet cunnection...
Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #30
rondak100
Mike

I am a cell technician for UNICEL; a smaller carrier in NY, VT, NH, ME and parts of MA (NE market). We sell GSM service at this point in the NY, VT and NH area. In the ADK's we have sites at the ski Jumps, Tupper Mt. Blue MT and other sites along the Northway that service the Eastern Dak's and northern NY. We are also in the southern daks too. Our roaming partner is Cingular and if you have service through them you will see "USA 890" when you roam to us and you should not see roaming charges (most if not all of there plans). WWW.unicel.com. The parent company is Rural Cellular Communications Co .

"Invisible airwaves crackle with life; Light antenna bristle with the energy"

Mike
rondak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #31
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

poor sucker....

Quote:
"How did we ever survive back in the pre-cellphone days"
It is pretty rediculous. That is exactly why I go to the Adk's... I don't want to hear the tv or the traffic or the PHONE RING!

I guess I am th only sucker here dumb enough to have a sprint plan. Seems to work great for me everywhere I need it to. I know I lose my (useable) somewhere around holland patent when coming in from the SW. My phone will show a signal occasionally from place to place but it never seems to work. I haven't tried it in a few years though. Things are sure to have changed and I may get better signal strength in some outlying areas, but honestly... I don't care.

On another note, my wife has onstar service in her new car and we tested that out from the adks and it worked great. So if you are looking for something a little more reliable for an "Emergency" try some different satellite options.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #32
Tuchov
Pirate

Sometimes

Somehow I've gotten Cell reception on the trial going to Phelps [from VanHovenberg trail]. I was still far below the tree line and my phone went off. I'm not surprised getting reception on the summits, but when my phone can ring on the trail I consider that a disturbance.

To date, I've been able to make/recieve calls:
Phelps Trail
At the base of Mt Colden
On Wright, near the aircraft wreckage, tucked in the rocks
At the base of Little Marcy
Lake Arnold

Like I said, the summits are expected to have reception, but for the most part, not the trail.
Tuchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #33
Limekiln

I have Unicel. Works great in Old Forge and briefly driving through Blue Mountain. I have no idea how Unicel is up toward Saranac or Lake Placid.
Limekiln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #34
BEW119

I have Verizon, works well in Warrensburg, Chestertown, Schroon areas.
BEW119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #35
Crutches

I have Cingular, coverage in the Adks last year was the pitts, this year, much much better! I'm sticking with them for now since I joined in like 90 something and I have an awesome plan (especially with 2 in college!!).
Crutches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #36
dudenchikn

Unicel here. Have gotten coverage on 40 something peaks. Never been on one it didn't work on....
dudenchikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #37
wildbrookies

Unbelievably my wife and I called our daughter on the shores of Copperas Pond (Whiteface Mtn area) at the lean-to on our anniversary day!!! Was using a lower model cingular... it was really to share a moment with her...made the day that more special!!

p.s...My wife let me cast a few flies but, nothing was interested...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #38
dudenchikn

Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies
Unbelievably my wife and I called our daughter on the shores of Copperas Pond (Whiteface Mtn area) at the lean-to on our anniversary day!!! Was using a lower model cingular... it was really to share a moment with her...made the day that more special!!

p.s...My wife let me cast a few flies but, nothing was interested...
You were looking for that spot a while back weren't you? Wasn't that like your first anniversary spot? I hiked through there last spring, the trail goes from the back of whiteface all the way to bonnieview road I believe. I got reception the whole way there, damn work called me while snowshoeing, lol...
dudenchikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #39
rondak100
Mike

rumor has it that blue will be sectorized soon. It will be a big improvement..

Neil Young
rondak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #40
Boreal Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak100
rumor has it that blue will be sectorized soon. It will be a big improvement..
Huh?????