Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #1
gearhead

Five Ponds

Hey guys, I am going into five ponds heading to sand lake in a couple weeks and was wondering if their is running water around sand lake or wolf pond leanto? Last time I was there I filtered out of the pond and would like to avoid doing so this time.
Thanks
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
dundee

Everything in that area flows out of a wetland or pond, so I'm afraid you're stuck. In an old ADK guide, Bruce Wadsworth talks about a spring behind the LT at Wolf, but I've never found it. Wolf is very brushy around the shore and makes getting water a bit difficult. Wadsworth also talks about a spring at Big Shallow whichI've never found and about a spring at Bumps Pond near Lake George, also which doesn't exist.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
gearhead

Man that is not good news. It also makes me nervous with all the beaver activity .
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
dundee

Just filter and you'll be ok
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Blackjackdavey

I was just at both locations a few weeks ago. We definitely had to filter from Sand Lake. On Wolf Pond, as noted above, it is difficult to even reach the water without mucking through mud and leeches. At Sand Lake, we scooped water into our "bucket" and filtered from that, no sickness.
Blackjackdavey is offline   Reply With Quote