Lake Lila carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Lila carry

What is the distance of the portage from the parking lot to the lake. Is it level/easy? I'm old (71) and my wooden guide boat (65 lbs) is getting heavy for me. Thx.

The carry is about .25 mile. The last time I was there, it was not what I would call easy or level. There were roots, etc., but, mercifully, it is short.
    "Days in the woods are days beyond time"--Paul Jamieson

Comment

Lila Portage

There have been discussions on here about the merits of using carts. I find a cart works reasonably well and use one every time at Lila. A couple of areas require care but I think if you have access to one it is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
        There have been discussions on here about the merits of using carts. I find a cart works reasonably well and use one every time at Lila. A couple of areas require care but I think if you have access to one it is worth it.
        Can I rent one nearby?

Comment

i am not sure where you could rent one but for the amount of use I have gotten out of mine it was well worth the investment. I think I spent $129.00 on mine. Been using for years.

Comment

My first trip to Lila, I used a cart solo with a 58 lb royalex canoe. All subsequent trips I carried including that canoe 3 times. Many roots + rocks will make rolling your boat a jarring experience. I put permanent dents in it's underside. I'd recommend a cart for a boat over 50 lbs only if a person at both bow +stern to control bouncing. Most people double the carry at Lila. A cart with large and/or soft wheels best there.

Comment

Just back from 3 nights on Lila. That was maybe my 6th paddle trip there; double carried all but once when my friend wanted to bring her kayak. For that trip we used our carts (I switched to my sea kayak on that one). The short trail is a beast for a loaded boat on a cart. It was so cart unfriendly that we took out where the road came close to the lake (by the culvert) and we walked out on the hilly road for over a mile with our loaded boats on carts; also not fun. It's much easier to double carry on the portage trail
              "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

To each his own -

As I had stated before I have no issue with a cart over multiple trips on this portage.

I unload the heavy stuff from the boat and make a trip with the gear. Have done this solo with a 56lb canoe and have not had an issue. A couple of rough spots but no big deal.

Properly strap canoe to cart - I use 3 - and wheel down the path from the stearn.

I am 57 years old and overweight by 30lbs.

Piece of cake.

Comment

Working...
                X