Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish Ponds to Cod Pond Flow through Paddle - 6/26/16 With a guest appearance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Ponds to Cod Pond Flow through Paddle - 6/26/16 With a guest appearance!

Finally Judi and I had a day to ourselves for an adventure and we decided to do a through paddle. All preparations were done the night before and we hopped in the car at a little after 7. Dropping my car on the Rt. 8 end of the trip we made our way up the ever narrowing Bartman Rd. to the trailhead for Fish Ponds. On the way we noticed moose tracks in the dirt road. Caution should be used at the trail sign-in because of the yellow jacket nest in the top of the sign-in box.

A pleasant mostly downhill hike to the first of Fish Ponds.

There were a number of beaver dams between the first Fish Pond and the second, then there was the bushwhacks between Fish Ponds and the beginning of the Flow that could have been avoided with a little more preparation on my part but eventually we made it to the flow.

Did I mention that there were many beaver dams and the water level was low. We started noticing the many of the spatterdock and pond lily's leaves had been munched.

We estimated we did 20+ dams for the trip, but damn, it was a beautiful day!

And then we come down around a corner and about 40 feet away, on the other side of a small grassy island I see movement and stutter and sputter to Judi that there is a large moose right there! I scramble for my camera, Judi runs into me and backs off and the moose decides we were a little too close and noisy for him.

Stops to take inventory of what exactly it was dealing with.

And ambles off.

The rest of the day was spent hopping beaver dams and hiking out with huge smiles on our faces.

We did opt to take the snowmobile trail to cut off the loop of the flow and miss a few more dams and a short but tough carry, leaving us only 3 or 4 dams to get to the trail that would take us to the car and 2 cold Molsens.

Another great day to be out. The funny part is I spent 6 days paddling Algonquin Provincial Park in May expecting to see moose galore did not see one.

We got home around 8:30 pretty much exhausted and elated!
    'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

awesome!! Thanks for sharing your adventure!
    sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

That's great Keith!!!! Awesome pics of the moose.
      Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Keith,
        Too cool!!
        I've seen moose in my imagination too many times...still waiting to see one while paddling.
        So, was it 1.5 carry at the start and under a mile at the end?

Comment

That is awesome to hear about. Nice photos and trip report.
          My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
            Keith,
            Too cool!!
            I've seen moose in my imagination too many times...still waiting to see one while paddling.
            So, was it 1.5 carry at the start and under a mile at the end?
            It's just over a mile in and just over a mile out. I don't know where I got it in my head it was two miles in to Fish Ponds.
            'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Still waiting for my first Adirondack Bullwinkle. I'll keep my eyes peeled for munched spatterdock.

Comment

We've always seen moose tracks in that neck of the woods. Great that you got to get eyes on one!

Thanks for the heads up on the yellow jacket nest.
                Tick Magnet

Comment

Great report & photos, Keith!
                  Our buddy Greg also saw a moose while researching the same route for This Book, only he saw the moose along Route 8 while riding his bicycle between trailheads. Maybe he'll chime in.

Comment

Good for you! an excellent adventure! Makes me happy- I hope to see one… seen lot of tracks- heck... haven't seen a bear yet either! Lot of tracks and a trees clawed.. At least not since I was a kid. Been 40 years in the woods!

Comment

It's a moosey place. I've see tracks and scat and a few years back while paddling I heard a crash and saw a large dark something (that looked like a moose butt but I can not be sure) move into the woods from the fringe. As it moved up the side hill I could see saplings move. Could have been a large bear...

This time there was no question.

During one of the 'whacks we saw a couple of trees that a bear had marked.

Comment

Great report! Fun to read and see the pics, thanks!
                        "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Keith,

Quick question. Were you able to drive and park adjacent to the barricade at the start of the Bartman Trail or did you park at the DEC trailhead sign?

I'm thinking of taking my youngest daughter to the designated campsite at Upper Fish for a "Lunch at a Lake". I can't remember if there's any pull offs near the barricade.

Thanks

Tick
                          Tick Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Tick Magnet View Post
                            Keith,

Quick question. Were you able to drive and park adjacent to the barricade at the start of the Bartman Trail or did you park at the DEC trailhead sign?

I'm thinking of taking my youngest daughter to the designated campsite at Upper Fish for a "Lunch at a Lake". I can't remember if there's any pull offs near the barricade.

Thanks

Tick
                            There is still room for a couple of cars across the road from the barricade. I was surprised to see the parking lot. It wasn't there the last time I was in.

Conk, The spatterdock was the key.

Comment

Originally posted by Adk Keith View Post
                              There is still room for a couple of cars across the road from the barricade. I was surprised to see the parking lot. It wasn't there the last time I was in.
                              Thanks!!!
                              Tick Magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X