Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
adkeditor

Discover the Adirondacks

Appalachian Mountain Club has put out a guidebook titled Discover the Adirondacks. Naturally, this doesn't sit well with Bill Ingersoll, publisher of the Discover the Adirondacks series of guidebooks.

Click here for details.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
jan

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately associated it with Barbara McMartin/Bill Ingersoll's books. I don't blame him for being upset. I guess I'll have to be more specific when I recommend the "Discover the Adirondacks" series to my friends.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately associated it with Barbara McMartin/Bill Ingersoll's books.
As did I.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
TCD

Surprised the AMC would do this. The "Discover the Adirondacks" series is quite well known throughout the community and the industry. It would seem to be common sense to avoid this controversy by picking a different title. Or at least to contact Mr. Ingersoll in advance and discuss it. Seems like a blunder (or an intentional intrusion) on AMC's part.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Grey-Jay

I understand Bill's beef but fortunately, there is little competition between these two resources. The AMC book will appeal mainly to occasional visitors-vacationers and tourists. To this very day, although in constant need of revisions (used last week for a Piseco-Pawley destination), the Discover the Adirondacks series has been my own most valued lifetime reference for the region and perhaps for many other seasoned visitors and residents. Owning all of the books is a larger financial investment and requirement to read more pages but is far more valuable for those that truly want to experience the gorgeous natural resources in the Adirondacks. Beyond the popular trailheads, many of my best Adirondack memories-seeing wildlife, paddling in solitude, sleeping to loon calls, seeing blooming orchids, catching a brook trout, having my kids swim on a wild beach, watching otters and beavers in front of me, was the result of owning the entire Discover series. To this day, not much is found on the web for many of these places while perhaps one can find hundreds of websites for any popular trailhead. I would give up every single other Adirondack reference book except this series, especially best of books. There might not be much new in the AMC book not already covered elsewhere in my opinion but perhaps the book is a positive if it lists mainly popular trailheads and waterways, keeping the crowds away from the secret treasures in the true Discover series. To sum up, the word discover means two different things here. The AMC "Discover" would be for first-timers to occasional visitors to discover the Adirondack region overall and all it offers. The Discover series has always offered the means to truly discover the beauty of the natural world in the Adirondacks beyond the congested high peak trails and popular waterways.

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 06-27-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
I understand Bill's beef but fortunately, there is little competition between these two resources.
I agree. I doubt that the AMC book will present any real competition for sales with Ingersol's books. It appears to be anything but a comprehensive guidebook- rather a "check out these 10 or 20 hikes" type of book.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Wldrns

This is the first I've heard of this. I have worked with Bill on updating some of the recent editions (gratis), and it strikes me as a lousy thing for AMC to do. I know who Pete Kick is, and I am surprised at him. I hope Bill seeks and wins some sort of compensation.