Middle Saranac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Saranac

Four of us going up tomorrow. Weather looks ok.

Originally going to go from Floodwood Pond to Fish Creek to Upper Saranac, spend night, head to Middle on Saturday but one of the group thought it too much.

So now we are going to put in at Rt 3. Any suggestions for which island camp site? Lean to at Weller Pond?

We will putz around a bit on Friday, fishing, hitting streams and the same for Sat am followed by a climb of Ampersand.

Never been there, any recommendations would be appreciated.
    I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
    JerseyHighlander 2-2015

I need to apologize.

Typically the other forums I am on have such dreadful search engines I typically don't bother.

This forums search is excellent. Gleaned a lot of good info, after I posted :-)

But I'll still take any suggestions.

Any trout in the brooks? Halfway, McKenna?
    I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
    JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

rachelsdad - It's been a while since I've been on Middle Saranac but the last few times I was there, I never ran into any trout. Northern pike and largemouth bass were the order of the day. You may find different results in the brooks but the main lake was essentially a warm water fishery in the past.

That's all for now. Take care, enjoy your trip and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

Thanks snapper,

I expected as much....at least 3 of 4 will enjoy the fishing.
        JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

During summer reservations are required for staying on Middle Saranac / Weller pond. I'm not sure if that is same in fall.

Comment

After Oct 10th not needed,

After partially unloading at site 80 PV looked at his Backcountry app, there was a lean to indicated at next site. We stayed at site 81. Nice site, short lean to, very choppy going in Friday, lots of whitecaps and waves breaking over bow and starboard side.

Ended up not going to Ampersand, too much fun poking about with much lighter boats yesterday.
            JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

Working...
            X