Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #41
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Funny you say that..... a guy from my club was driving into camp and saw a monster buck on the road licking the salt as he came around a bend. Said he took a few massive bounds and was gone..... ghost
The heaviest buck by far I ever saw, it looked like an Iowa cornfed giant that one reads about in Field and Stream or some such mag, was in Keene standing next to the road doing exactly the same thing.
Surprisingly it actually stared me down, I was in a car stopped, and I truly had a hard time believing it was a deer but boy o boy when it finally decided enough was enough it was gone in a flash.
Somewhere I have a written record and photo of its hoofprint. I think it was over 7inches. Hard to believe but big, big bucks do exist quite often under our noses.
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #42
Wldrns

When my dad was alive and I hunted with him extensively in my younger days, we had two different hunting areas. One on Tug Hill, and another in the western Adirondacks. He always said that the bucks on the Hill were larger, he thought, because there is more calcium in the rocks and soil, making for larger bones than in the calcium poor granite of the Adirondacks.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #43
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
When my dad was alive and I hunted with him extensively in my younger days, we had two different hunting areas. One on Tug Hill, and another in the western Adirondacks. He always said that the bucks on the Hill were larger, he thought, because there is more calcium in the rocks and soil, making for larger bones than in the calcium poor granite of the Adirondacks.
That's possible, maybe more so in younger growth, whereas the big bucks in the Northern and Central ADKs achieve their size by lack of hunting and area remoteness leading to older age.
I say that for 4 easy reasons; 1. and 2. I know of 2 16pt 260lb dressed bucks, probably twins [my guess since they were in same patch of woods] 6yr olds. 3. 1 found 11 pt antler. 4. a 234lb dressed 12/13yr old 8pt'er with no teeth with a belly full of swallowed whole acorns, all were in the NE ADK's.
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote