Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Last Three Days

Pond 1 on Friday - UpstateDave and I fished a new pond that he found. Of course that meant it was his day to out-fish me (not that it takes much). We caught beautiful, solid brookies to 16" with a couple of grabs from what may have been more substantial fish. The magic fly was Dave's skinny, purple leech, fished on a clear intermediate line. Highlight of the day was seeing a mother bear and cub on the shore.

Pond 2 on Saturday - This is a gem that kicked out monster fish for us this Spring. It just plain didn't fish, turning out 2 14" fish for a day's effort. Highlight of the day: while tromping through a dry bog, I heard cracking branches on the other side. Here comes a young bull moose high stepping it through the bog straight toward me. I dropped my pack and ran to the side and got behind the first substantial tree. He came straight for me, head low and nostrils flared. He stopped maybe 20 feet away, snorting and breathing hard. It was probably 4 or 5 minutes before he decided I wasn't a threat and walked off. It's okay now that I have clean underwear and a beer in front of me. My adrenaline level has declined perceptibly over the last two days.

Pond 3 on Sunday - This is a pond we have fished for years, some better than others. I quickly found a pod of fish, all females, all 15" to 18". After catching several I left to explore the rest of the pond. Nada, so I came back, a long kick into the wind. Not only were the females there, the boys had joined them. Highlight of the day: 6 fish, all 17" to 18" in ten casts. And all they wanted was a simple dragonfly nymph, fished about 5 feet down.

And so ends the 2017 season. It feels like we should have 2 more weeks. Water temps are still in the high 50's!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oct-1.jpg (124.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg oct-2.jpg (102.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg oct-3.jpg (135.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
bioguide

Nice report and beautiful fish. Boy I bet that moose encounter was something...
Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Creekwader
Snag Locator

What no moose pics?
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Pauly D.

Great report and great story! Thankfully you weren't attacked by the moose! Beautiful colors on the fish.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
ADKxplorer

Wow that moose experience must have been something! Glad it ended in nothing more than an exciting story.

On the fishing side, I had a similar experience this weekend to your Pond #3 where I spotted a pod of LARGE brookies near shore, including an enormous male that was easily 20". Unfortunately they would not touch a thing, even damsel nymphs
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #6
Stillhunter

Very nice brookies. Glad you escaped the charging moose. Quick thinking to drop the pack.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
beartooth91
beartooth91

Excellent pictures.

I had a big bull Moose chase me around and out of Trigger Lake (in the Bighorns) a few years ago (and it was fishing well!). I didn't realize they can swim.......
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
wildbrookies

Vt- Awesome story! Always wondered what it would be like to be chased by a moose,now I know...note to self: Bring extra undies while fishing the Adk`s!!

Beautifully colored -up brookies!

Also, cool to see a Momma bear and her cub! Exciting trip to say the least!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote