Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
jchenier@verizon.net

Pharoah Lake Wilderness Bear Situation?

Greetings-
Planning a camping trip to Crane Pond in PLWA this weekend. I plan to keep a clean camp and hang food. I've been going back there as long as I can remember and do not recall any issues with bears (or any sign of bear). Its been 5 years since my last visit and conditions do change. Has there been any bear activity in the area? Any recent information is appreciated.
jchenier@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I visit Dr. Crane at least half a dozen times a year for over 30+ years now and never had or heard of any issues either. My last visit was in early July, and I’ll be there this weekend also with my girlfriend (& Jenny), so maybe we’ll see you.
My father saw a bear swim across the southwestern end several years ago, but it never came near the campsite. In my experience the Pharaoh region in general has never had any nuisance bear issues, and hopefully it’ll stay that way.

Last edited by Justin; 08-09-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
jblaser

I have done two excursions in there this year (mid-May and end of June) for 3 and 5 days. I had no problems and saw no signs of bears in camp or on the trail. Like you, I keep a clean camp, cook and hang my food away from my sleeping area.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Pauly D.

I've camped at Crane Pond, Pharaoh Lake, and every pond in between up there. I have never seen a bear. From your post is sounds like you know how to keep a clean camp so you won't have any issues.

I think Justin is the undisputed King of Crane Pond so if he's never seen one then chances are we won't either.

Enjoy!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
...I think Justin is the undisputed King of Crane Pond...

Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
jchenier@verizon.net

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know if the bypass around the mud hole at Alder pond is passable with a canoe cart?

Last edited by jchenier@verizon.net; 08-10-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchenier@verizon.net View Post
Does anyone know if the bypass around the mud hole at Alder pond is passable with a canoe cart?
The bypass trail is pretty rocky & rooty and not very cart friendly. Probably easier just to wade across, or you can launch onto Alder Pond near the Goose Pond trailhead, then make the short portage around Crane’s outlet rapids.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
jblaser

King Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
I've camped at Crane Pond, Pharaoh Lake, and every pond in between up there. I have never seen a bear. From your post is sounds like you know how to keep a clean camp so you won't have any issues.

I think Justin is the undisputed King of Crane Pond so if he's never seen one then chances are we won't either.

Enjoy!
I concur and would add that his domain extends beyond Crane Pond.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I agree with Justin- if you're not driving into Crane Pone, you'd be better off launching from near the Goose Pond trailhead and paddling across Alder Pond. From Alder Pond it is a rocky (but very short) carry into Crane.

Bears have never been a problem in Pharaoh but I'm pretty sure that if they ever do become a problem outside of the High Peaks, it very well could be in Pharaoh. A lot of groups have not done a great job over the years of keeping campsites clean at both Crane Pond and Pharaoh Lake. Make sure to clean up after yourself, properly store food at night, and carry out all trash (even bag and carry out what isn't yours if you see it).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

It was great to meet you Joe & Ben, what a great weekend!
A little rain around between 4-5pm yesterday but nothing too bad. We had a blast & it was great to be there again!
How’d you guys do on your hike?
Happy to see Crane was fairly quiet & clean again...Only had to clean up a couple items along the road on our way out.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
jchenier@verizon.net

yes indeed a great weekend. We got caught in the rain on our way back to Crane the last 20 minutes of the hike. Had a nice dip at Oxshoe Pond and then headed on to Crab. Didn't make it to Rock Pond, my favorite swimming pond in the FLWA I think. There's always next time.

Ben and Jim (Jim came in Saturday evening after we saw you) had never been to Crane before and were very impressed...best time ever per Ben. btw loved the addition of the thunderboxes at the sites.