Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
SykesCamp

Question Long vs St Regis pond for two night trip?

First time taking wife and son... son is keen to try and get the island site on st Regis...site 10. Rookie, so welcome any thoughts
SykesCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Can't go wrong with either.

The island site on St Regis isn't all that spectacular... just sayin'... there are better sites on that pond, although I suspect they'll be relocated. DEC is moving toward moving sites further away from the water in these high use areas.

If you are really keen on staying on an island, there are better places to go. Particularly Follensby Clear Pond, where you'll have a better chance of getting an island site.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Grey-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Can't go wrong with either.

The island site on St Regis isn't all that spectacular... just sayin'... there are better sites on that pond, although I suspect they'll be relocated. DEC is moving toward moving sites further away from the water in these high use areas.

If you are really keen on staying on an island, there are better places to go. Particularly Follensby Clear Pond, where you'll have a better chance of getting an island site.
But listening to road traffic on nearby rt 30, having small motorized boats, and hearing jet-skis on Fish Creek Pond.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
SykesCamp

Thank you both for the guidance. Would welcome your guidance on the best spot #/locations...I asked in another string, but wife is keen to have a pit toilet or outhouse nearby. Do you have a favorite that also happens to meet that request . Can you tell we are easing into this?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

What day of the week and when ? If it’s a weekend any time soon I recommend remaining flexible about the site. You may have to make do with what’s available. Not always a bad thing.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
SykesCamp

Hoping to get there later this month, earliest next week, latesest Labor Day weekend. Considering arriving Thursday afternoon vs Friday in hopes that it will improve site options?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

There are four islands with campsites on Follensby Clear:

These are the southern ones, and there is one other site on the northern island. Your chances of getting one of these is probably good.

IIRC, there are privies on all the islands. I believe there is a shared one in the middle of the island on the ones with multiple sites.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
SykesCamp

Thank you Montcalm. I see it’s not officially in the st regis boundary, does that mean it may have motor boats etc? Would you prioritize st regis pond or long pond over the islands on Follensby? Thanks again for all guidance
Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

Yes, there may be small motor boats on Follensby. I have actually only seen electric motors, but I know that's not always the case.

There is noise from Rte 30 on Follensby, so it won't be as quiet as St Regis or Long Pond. The sites on Follensby get more use, so they tend to be a bit more "clear". Most all of them have privies or are close to one you can share with the adjacent site.

There is only one island site between St Regis and Long Pond. The sites on both are nice but some are better than others. A lot of them are back off the water and in the woods, which some people dislike. There are no motor boats or electric motors out there though. You have to carry to get to either (Long or St Regis). Neither are very long carries, but it's a consideration. You can plop right in the water at Follensby.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by montcalm; 08-10-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
SykesCamp

Very helpful...thanks again for the help and guidance. We will likely push to st regis and hope to land a waterside site with nearby privy. I know it’s a guess, but is it likely our odds are higher arriving Thursday as opposed to a Friday?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

FWIW,
You'll probably have as nice a time at Long Pond, without the longer carry to St Regis.
Most sites at Long have thunderboxes, some with great views. Might be an easier transition for your wife and son...
And with your Thursday arrival, you are almost certain to get a site that suits you.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
SykesCamp

Thank you, very helpful!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
bluequill

I would second Stripper's suggestion for Long Pond considering introducing people to canoe camping. Plus, you can stop in at St Regis Outfitters shop on Floodwood Road to pick up any last minute camping items, maps or info.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
St.Regis

Assuming that you will have a campfire, you won't find much in the way of downed, dead wood on most islands, especially this time of year.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #15
Grey-Jay

If you were a fishing enthusiast, the choice would be simple . . One is a cold-water fishery and the other is warm water species.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote