Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
RipVanWinkle

Heavy Duty Hiking Pants

Anybody have any recommendations for heavier weight hiking pants?

Looking for something made of a heavy duty canvas-like or rip-stop material that is ideal for colder weather but is not gore-tex or insulated.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
Anybody have any recommendations for heavier weight hiking pants?

Looking for something made of a heavy duty canvas-like or rip-stop material that is ideal for colder weather but is not gore-tex or insulated.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
I like 5.11 tactical/cargo pants. They make several types in various materials. Plenty of pockets, durable, and roomy. Combine them with some merino wool long john's when its cold out: http://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens-pants.html

Last edited by bioguide; 10-23-2017 at 06:11 PM..
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
geogymn

Check out;

https://www.duluthtrading.com/
Old 10-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Be sure to check out your local Army & Navy store.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
Pauly D.

Fjallraven with a light baselayer.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
RipVanWinkle

Thanks for the suggestions, gents.
I have a bunch of my old army pants that work well too, I just dont like looking like some local militia member when I'm out there.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
TCD

I've had good luck with SportsmansGuide's "Guide Gear" line, and it's inexpensive:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...2&b=GUIDE+GEAR
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Terasec

i like the boy scouts 67% cotton 33% poly canvas pants
quite comfortable and durable
http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/unifor...l#.We9B_OlryM8
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Wldrns

I have a most favorite pair of heavier than usual nylon pants that I bought at EMS several years ago, but they are no longer available from EMS. I have been hunting everywhere for another comparable pair, quite unsuccessfully. I have several pairs of summer weight hiking pants, all much too light weight and not very durable for bushwhacking and SAR. Stores (brick or online) that I have been to just don't seem to have anything that physically fit me well and also fit the need.

I also tried the 5.11 style and a couple of other similar brands, including another type from Duluth, but am not happy with the sloppy baggy elephant leg fit of any of them. They all sit in a bin in my closet, probably never to be worn. While in Europe last year I bought a pair of Jack Wolfskin nylon pants which are better then most for fit and weight, but still not exactly what I was looking for.

I am tempted to try the Piragis Boundary Water canoe pant, and a different style from Duluth, but am turned off by their shipping/return policy (I pay postage both ways).

For colder season, the best I have found are surplus Marine officer green light wool pants, but these are extremely difficult to find in the proper size. They also come in a much heavier wool version.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Check out RailRiders.

...Or Wild Country Gear.

...And Let's not forget about Bear Grylls Pants.

Last edited by Justin; 10-24-2017 at 09:14 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
MrKawfey

Dry on the fly cargo pants

My wife bought these for me a coupe years ago and they are great. Heavy nylon shell, polyester lining, not baggy but not slim fit. Tough and warm. Elastic waist with belt loops that fit my flat webbing belt for under a backpack waist belt. Well thought out pockets.

The other thing I was surprised to love is fall hiking with wool trousers.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Ditto on the Railriders! I dare you to try and wear out a pair!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:34 AM   #13
SyrMatt

Kuhl Liberator convertibles are the toughest 100% nylon pants I've ever owned. They dry quick and zip into perfect length shorts. Kuhl has many cotton and cotton blend options that are very rugged, but like Carhartts, not great if you'll be getting wet.

I also have a couple pairs of Mountain Khakis double front work type pants that are made from a stretchy twill fabric. Doesn't dry fast, but they're rugged as heck. I love them.
SyrMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
TCD

They may have changed the Liberator - the Kuhl website says the Liberator is 23% cotton now.

I used to like the Kuhl line, and I have a 100% nylon Kuhl pair of pants from several years ago. But their entire line is now cotton - I can't find any Kuhl pants that do not have cotton in them...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
RipVanWinkle

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good suggestions. As a former Eagle Scout those new sccout pants look like a good option to me and very reasonably priced.

I had a pair of Kuhl Rydrs that looked really nice but I wore them out in no time, cheap jeans wouldve lasted 5x as long.

Ive been eyeing up the LL Bean Upland Briar Pro pants but I cant justify spending 130 bucks right now.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1116...ductId=1553499
Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
wiiawiwb

Cheap jeans being 100% cotton could get into trouble too on a cold, rainy day in the backcountry.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
RipVanWinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
Cheap jeans being 100% cotton could get into trouble too on a cold, rainy day in the backcountry.
I'm aware, my point was that my kuhl's wore out fast for expensive, fanccy "rugged" pants.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #18
Klinkhamer

Hiking pants

For years I wore the Dickies brand pants. Could get them pretty cheap, dried out very quickly ( I think they were something like 70% poly) and held up pretty well going through the bushes, blow-down, etc.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
even if cold isnt a factor, i am not always on trails and when bushwhacking even on nicest of days, without gators, bottom of pants get soaked, cotton especially jeans. they stay soaked all day, even if cold is not a factor its uncomfortable
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote