Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
mirandahagerty

Looking For Hikes Around Inlet

Hey all! Because I got such great responses on my first post looking for a campground to stay at, I decided to post another one looking for hikes!

My family and I have decided to stay at Browns Tract Pond campground in Inlet. We are by no means "master hikers" but we are all in shape and hike throughout the year! We'd like to hike a few short (1-3 hrs) trails along with a longer one (3-6 hrs) around the Inlet area. I know we aren't too close to the high peaks but we would be willing to travel an hour or less for a cool mountain.

My husband and I hiked Jay Mountain last summer and loved it, so anything close to that elevation and length would be perfect!

Thanks so much in advance!
mirandahagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

There's not a whole lot of mountains right in the Inlet area but there are some good options if you're willing to drive a bit. Blue Mountain or Wakely Mountain are both worthwhile climbs with nice views. Further east, Snowy Mountain is a harder hike than even some of the High Peaks (and the mountain itself is only a few hundred feet shy of being a High Peak).

Closer to Inlet you've got Bald and Black Bear Mountains. Both are very easy in comparison to the peaks I've listed above, but Bald in particular has some nice views and is worth climbing if you've got some time to kill.

For ponds and lakes, I would recommend checking out some hikes in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness. Cascade Lake, Queer Lake, and Chubb Lake are worthwhile destinations. Another option is the Blue Ridge Wilderness- Wilson, Cascade, and Stephens Pond are all nice, relatively quiet destinations.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Wldrns

The list is long for easy to moderate hikes, just a few options are here:
http://www.inletny.com/downloads/Hiking.pdf

Black Bear Mountain and Rocky Mountain share the same parking lot. They, and Bald Mtn (toward Old Forge) are very popular low elevation climbs, sometimes a little too popular.

If you don't mind traveling a short distance, Blue Mountain is fairly easy. Nearby Castle Rock is a special place to visit for good views of the lake. While there, seriously do not fail to visit the Adirondack Museum.
http://alltrails.com/us/new-york/eagle-bay

Other links:
http://www.cnyhiking.com/BlackBearMountain.htm
http://alltrails.com/us/new-york/eagle-bay

A Google search of the area towns will show much more.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Cascade Mountain is a fun little peak with partial views and no trail so it gets very little traffic. If you bushwhack south from the trail around Cascade Lake and keep going uphill it's pretty easy to find.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Creekwader
Snag Locator

No need to leave the campsite. Goto the end of the campsite road at the north end of the pond. I forget the site number but there is a marked trail that leads 0.2 mi from the campground to the West mt. trail. For a short easy flat hike, turn left and then make an immediate right onto the Shallow lake trail. You might get feet wet near the crossing of beaver brook but other than that its pretty straightforward. For a long and fairly steep at the end hike, turn right and follow the trail to West Mountain. Stop for a picnic lunch or a swim where the West Mt. trail meets Sucker Brook Bay. West doesn't have a 360 view but does offer a good overview of Raquette lake and the distant higher peaks. Mountain bikes will make the flat section of the West Mt. trail much more enjoyable.

Leaving the campsite, take the uncas road back toward Eagle bay. The Black Bear Mt. Trail is on the left a few miles west of the Campground. This goes up the backside of the mountain and is much less steep than the frontside approach described by others.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
mirandahagerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
No need to leave the campsite. Goto the end of the campsite road at the north end of the pond. I forget the site number but there is a marked trail that leads 0.2 mi from the campground to the West mt. trail. For a short easy flat hike, turn left and then make an immediate right onto the Shallow lake trail. You might get feet wet near the crossing of beaver brook but other than that its pretty straightforward. For a long and fairly steep at the end hike, turn right and follow the trail to West Mountain. Stop for a picnic lunch or a swim where the West Mt. trail meets Sucker Brook Bay. West doesn't have a 360 view but does offer a good overview of Raquette lake and the distant higher peaks. Mountain bikes will make the flat section of the West Mt. trail much more enjoyable.

Leaving the campsite, take the uncas road back toward Eagle bay. The Black Bear Mt. Trail is on the left a few miles west of the Campground. This goes up the backside of the mountain and is much less steep than the frontside approach described by others.

Thanks all for your recommendations! You guys really know your stuff! I think we will definitely be roaming around the Queer Lake area. It looks beautiful!

Also, thanks for these directions, they are PERFECT! I can't wait to explore right around the campground!

Side Note: Not that we are even considering hiking Cascade Mountain during this trip as it is 2 hours or so away, but has anyone hiked this recently? I remember hiking this when I was very young, probably about six, and the trail wasn't very populated. When I visited last year with my husband, we had plans to hike it but were persuaded not to because of how busy it is now. Is this true for all year round? My mom is dying to go back again but the man who persuaded us said "it's like Disney Land!".
mirandahagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
bridgeman

If you go midweek there should be less traffic. Either end of the day also.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I think the Cascade Mountain Zach is recommending is a different one from the High Peak.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
gnatcatcher

I realize it's not a mountain, but you're right down the road from Ferd's Bog. It's a short hike to an interesting bog, great if you have only an hour or two.

http://www.cnyhiking.com/FerdsBogTrail.htm
gnatcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Dsettahr is (as usual) correct. The one I mean is located in the southern Pigeon Lakes Wilderness Area just south of Cascade Lake, with a trailhead about a mile and a bit out of Eagle Bay. It has no trail at all as I noted above and thus is very little used as far as I could tell when I was up there. It is unfortunate that so many names get repeated as it does lead to misunderstandings.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high peaks, hike, hiking, inlet