Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #21
Lonehiker

I drove around the western Adirondacks yesterday. I climbed Bald (Rondaxe), looked for Billy Bald Spot, hung out at Stillwater, and hiked around Moshier Falls. There were black flies at Bald, but it was acceptable without spray. It was an enjoyable hike. Stillwater however was terrible. At Moshier Falls I experienced deer flies, black flies, and a ton of mosquitos, a lot of mosquitos

The previous day, I climbed Moxham. There were a tolerable amount of black flies. Bug spray did the trick, but my dad and I took a barrage of stable flies along the ridge, especially at the summit. They were most concentrated were the woods met the clearings. They seemed to stay away from full sun exposure. What was really nice was there were swallow tail butterflies everywhere. In one clearing it seemed like we were in a butterfly garden. The dragon flies were out probably having a feast.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #22
Buckladd

Camped at Fish Creek for the TearUp trailer fest this past weekend. Black flies weren't the issue, mosquitos were, and in a big way! Same on one of the trout ponds I hit and I used my head-net before the breeze kicked up. My wife and I hit Middle Saranac and Weller Pond on Sunday and they were bad at first but there were ironically none of either at the far lean-to.

Yesterday (Tuesday) some co-workers and I did some volunteer trail-work in Bolton near Lake George, on the LGLC trails. More skeeters than black flies, and some deer flies. One guy woke up with tick on him overnight.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #23

In Speculator, both forms of vermin are plentiful. On the water, blackflies are the rule. On land, the skeeters are in numbers like I have rarely seen. Torrential rains today will not help. Need hot and dry or a freeze (LOL) to make an impact. Will be a long "summer" as far as bugs go.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
bluequill

The skeeters were very bad at Rollins Pond the past two days. Never saw it so bad...…...no BF's though.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 PM   #25
Eddie Fournier

Almost no BF on Lyon Mt on June 23. But plenty of mosquitoes in the 1st half.
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #26
Lonehiker

I was at Goodman Mountain Today. The mosquitos were quite severe the first mile in. I haver never seen them that bad. I had a hard time filling in the register. If I stood still for a second, I would have several of them digging in immediately. I actually messed up filling in my information, because it was so unnerving hearing all that buzzing around my head. I poured on the bug spray and walked at a brisk pace trying to shake them. Whenever I stopped for a second, hoards of mosquitos would congregate around my legs, trying to dig in through my jeans. I was concerned. I kept swatting my arms and neck to keep the more stealthy ones from having a chance to bite. I was getting sensitive to feeling little pricks when one started to bite. It was hard to concentrate. Thankfully it got better once the climbing began. Later I climbed Arab and I had no problem with bugs there.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #27
bluequill

We went to Wolf Pond the other day and the skeeters were BAD on the last mile, especially at the lean-to. I'm glad we bought Original Bug Shirts this year...….they work great. We certainly looked like tourists from New Jersey but never got stuck once!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #28
Lonehiker

I just a bought myself a bug jacket last night
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #29
Hoser

Mosquitoes finally dwindling just a bit in the SW corner here, a couple Deer Flies but have not seen many of those evil things. Are the Deer Flies reduced in other areas of the park? Unbelievable number of lightning bugs last night, under the moon. So cool to see. Have not had that many in years if ever.
Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Mosquitoes finally dwindling just a bit in the SW corner here, a couple Deer Flies but have not seen many of those evil things. Are the Deer Flies reduced in other areas of the park? Unbelievable number of lightning bugs last night, under the moon. So cool to see. Have not had that many in years if ever.
Deer flies are in full force in S. ADKs Ferris Lake WF area, and mosquitos are a secondary formidable attack force. Black flies nearly gone............
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #31
Thisisdan26

Heading up to Keene area next week...any idea how it's looking there?
Thisisdan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #32
Hoser

...and the Deer Flies EXPLODED today in the SW corner.....holy crap.....about two weeks late but full force!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 AM   #33
TrailBlaser

Oh boy, I guess I should expect an onslaught in Pharaoh next week!
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #34
Buckladd

I was working in the woods most of Sunday and Monday. Deer flies are quite friendly.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #35
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I was working in the woods most of Sunday and Monday. Deer flies are quite friendly.
ahh the deer fly whisperer

the little bastards have not shown much of themselves up here....yet
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #36
TCD

The colder and later than usual spring has led to a tough bug season. (Where's that global warming when you need it?)

We bailed to South Dakota for most of June and early July. Fabulous recreation; no bugs at all. Especially lucky decision this year.

Here in Keene at 1800', black flies are just about done. Mosquitoes are still annoying, especially in the evening. Deer flies are annoying during the day.

Probably looking at 8/1 or so to be clear of the most annoying bugs.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #37
Hoser

8/1 sounds right. Normally July 4th weekend or a bit after for the all clear, and we are about 3 weeks behind in bug season here.

Tags
black flies