Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

Osswagochie up from Inlet in May?

never did this at that time. Would the current be a bear?
turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Possibly. Never paddled the Osegatchie myself so I wouldn't know for sure... but during the height of spring melt, I'd probably decide to do the Lowe's-Oswegatchie traverse myself instead, so that I was floating downstream on the Oswegatchie all the way.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
MDL23

I've paddled it in May. It's usally fine going up stream. I've paddled it in April too with snow still in the woods, I was paddling a 16' Old Town by myself and it wasn't too bad.

If there is a ton of snow still in the woods, your biggest question will be is there still snow on the road getting to Inlet.

-Matt
MDL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
richard1726

The downstream current is the strongest within 200 feet of the put in at Inlet. The current is the strongest where the vertical drop per horizontal distance is the highest, immediately downstream from Inlet the drop is the highest, there are rapids downstream.
I've paddled and polled at all water levels and my best times upriver are when the river has been at its highest, (you can slide through the alders skipping lots of the meandering bends).
I plan on a solo trip in lat April this year No bugs!
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
riverstrider
Sir Rhosis of the River

Pole it upstream...lot more efficient, with more control, than a paddle.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
yellowcanoe

Did it in seven hours to High Falls last May 14. No problem at all.

Remember though that ice out was very early last year.

Your FS skills will pay off. You will be fine.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
jblaser

Oswegatchie in Early Spring

Just came across this thread. In 1988, using my Sawyer Autumn Mist solo boat, I went from Inlet to just above the Robinson River in early April, literally right after ice-out. I camped at the site near Pine Ridge. I will never forget that trip. I was the first one to sign the register that spring. Pieces of ice were still coming down the river. Of course, the lower river had very high water and was really wide. I remember paddling along one stretch not far from Inlet and hearing a scraping sound ahead. I couldn't see around a bend in the river because of the thick alder growth. Not knowing what was making the sound, I held in-place on the in-side of the river just below the bend and soon enough, a sizeable chunk of ice came around the bend at a pretty good clip, scraping the out-side of the river and passing by me. So, needless to say, I listened carefully for that sound as I continued upriver. Fortunately, I didn't encounter any more large pieces of ice. Although the paddling was harder because of the strong current, I was able to shortcut many of the curves. I was in for 9 days, with varying weather (sun, rain and snow) and didn't see anyone the entire time. Recently, I just scanned some of the 35mm slides I took during the trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YYBq8WHYzrpk3PrN9
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

jblaser - Thanks for sharing your story & photos. Years ago I went there around May 1 and was told that the road was quite soft and I might not be able to make the uphill drive back out. We paddled the Raquette R. instead.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Blackflie

did the Bog River to Inlet route way back in 2006 in the first week of May, water levels were4 good and we did see a few canoes going up stream once we have got onto the Oswegatchi. Worth noting though that the Roa to Lows Upper dam was open, have ben back several times at the same time to find the road still closed so maybe 2006 was an unusual year. The track from Inlet was fine, but again maybe it was an atypical mud season
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
snapper
snapper

The college program I work for used to do the trip from Inlet up to High Falls most years after graduation; the 2nd or 3rd week in May. While it could be challenging, I think a lot of that was due to beginner paddlers just learning how to keep their canoes going where they wanted them to.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
jblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
jblaser - Thanks for sharing your story & photos. Years ago I went there around May 1 and was told that the road was quite soft and I might not be able to make the uphill drive back out. We paddled the Raquette R. instead.
I remember having that same conversation with the ranger. I had a 4Runner with the right tires (and a winch on the front if needed) that after turning those hubs and putting it in low 4WD could handle it.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #12
Viking

I have been to the falls before but not above. This is something I have always wanted to do and this thread got me thinking again. My thought was to go as far above as makes sense.

Hard to answer since we all see things differently, but how far would you go until it no longer made sense, i.e. too narrow, too woody/brushy, turns to a swamp, etc. Or maybe the furthest campsite. I am up for seeing as much as possible but my back won't allow portages every few mins.

I love to fish and want to see as much as makes sense for me. How far (miles or hours or both) would you go if you had a similar mission?

Thank you for any input!

Viking
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #13
Wldrns

You can go several miles above High Falls, but the beaver dams and log obstacles become very much increasingly numerous. Quite possible, and many do it. It is all paddleable, although there are a couple of rocky and gravely fast flowing portions to negotiate. But to access the upper reaches it may be easier to approach from the Lows Lake side with a 3 mile carry to the river. Upstream from the carry end it is about 1Km to where you will have to cross several more beaver dams to the broad source marsh with several small branching input streams joining to form the main flow. I did that once a few years ago as I bushwhacked my way to Stillwater.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #14
Scouter

there are campsites up to just before the canoe carry over to Low's Lake.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...epondseast.pdf
Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
jblaser

Oswegatchie Headwaters

I went up into the headwaters (where about 5 streams converge) several times over the years. That early spring trip I made had really high water levels, so I was able to push pretty far up three of streams. The most amazing part was one of them had a huge beaver dam that I had to actually pull the canoe up. I was able to paddle around in the beaver pond created by that dam. I did the trip from Lows several times, but personally never had a problem with the paddle up from Inlet. Going upstream, you are moving slower and better able to appreciate all there is to see around the river. I didn't push it on any of the many trips I made and made it a point to camp at different sites on different trips. Over the years on my own trips and the one summer I was an AFR on the river, I probably stayed at nearly every site for at least one night (although I did have a list of favorites for particular times of the year). The other thing I liked to do was setup a base camp near the bride to the Five Ponds, hike into ponds, spending a night at different ones, with a stay at Sand Lake for a couple of nights. I adopted those lean-tos and at one point had Big and Little Shallow, Wolf and Sand Lake. After getting married and having children, I had to give them up. I am planning on getting back in there this year.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...&bih=950&dpr=1

For what it is worth
Old 01-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #17
Viking

Thanks to everyone for the info. I am thinking about this trip for the spring.

As you get further upstream are fly rods viable or do you think ultra lights are the better option?

Thanks again - looking forward to crossing this one off the list!

Viking
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
jblaser

Fly Rods on the Upper Oswegatchie

I use a Tenkara rod so I can cast in some places that I couldn't with a standard rod. I have been able to cast with my standard rod from the canoe in some parts of the upper river. I have used waders when I finish the Robinson River. The upper reaches of the river is really a special place.