Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
Gord

Lows Lake open for canoeing?

I was wondering how Lows Lake would be for canoeing this week- and if the launch at the dam is accessible by road.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
RichieC

Not normally this early, the road to it is probably closed, depends on if its still soft from being frozen... not because they are worried about your car or you getting stuck, but the damage your vehicle could do to it... the ruts would become permanent.

There are two roads involved.. the main road that continues past the Hittchens pond dam access road, and the access road itself. If the main road is open, you can park along it out there and carry/wheel in- its not too far.

You have to call the Ranger and they will tell you- i'm not sure which one- others will probably chime in. It's very early-(plan on possibility of snow)... depending on weather, usually opens in May.

You could start here:
NYSDEC Region 6
Headquarters
317 Washington St
Watertown, NY 13601
315-785-2252

Email:
information.r6@dec.ny.gov
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Old Rivers

Road to dam likely closed for mud season; Alternate put-in is Horseshoe Lake outlet a little farther down the road. Years ago I used that access when dam was closed for repair. It is do-able but had to drag during dry season. This access brings you directly into Hitchens Pond.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
paddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I was wondering how Lows Lake would be for canoeing this week- and if the launch at the dam is accessible by road.
Based on yesterday's satellite image here (just don't zoom in too far), or here (you'll have to skip back to yesterday), much of Lows is still frozen. It's hard to say from looking at the forecast whether or not it'll be ice-free by the end of the week.

As others said, the road to the lower dam is almost certainly closed.
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Gord

Hmmm. So I would need my icebreaker canoe...thanks for the info!
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote