Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
snipe523

Resources for new paddling destinations

I'm looking for resources to discover new paddling locations for the upcoming season. I have been recommended the Quiet Water New York guide. Is there any other good resources I should be looking into. I'm pretty new to paddling so I'm looking to soak up all the info I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snipe523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Wldrns

You're going to be overwhelmed, but you can begin with the links below. Once you get a better idea of the type of paddling you like, there are plenty of people who would be glad to help.

Books:
Highly recommend Dave Cilley's "Adirondack Paddlers Guide" AND the accompanying map:
Find it at many outlets, or at the St Regis Canoe Outfitter shop or online:
https://www.canoeoutfitters.com/store/maps-guidebooks

Another is Phil Brown's "Adirondack Paddling: 60 Great Flatwater Adventures":
http://www.adk.org/page.php?pname=news-paddling-guide (also available on Amazon)

An older but very useful book is "Adirondack Canoe Waters, North Flow"
by Jammieson & Morris

Paddlefinder is a new work in progress from Brian McDonnell of MacsCanoe.com
It lists both races and recreational paddling trips. I can reccommend that you attend some of the races, not specifically to race (although you can if you want), but to watch and get acquainted with lots of friendly canoe people who also paddle recreationally in the Adirondacks and literally world wide.
http://www.paddlefinder.com

And there's always the Northern Forest Canoe trail, a 740 mile route that begins in Old Forge and ends in Maine.
http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-04-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
snipe523

Awesome! Thanks for the info

Old 02-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Jameison's "Adirondack Canoe Waters: North Flow"

I have to second the suggestion of the Jameison book. It is not fancy, the maps are hand drawn and the descriptions of the various canoe adventures are beautifully written. Read this book and find many hidden gems to explore by boat.

Pat T
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
WBB

In addition to the excellent map that Wldrns links to at St Regis Outfitters, I would also recommend this page on their website:

https://www.canoeoutfitters.com/trip-planning/routes

It provides a very nice overview of some of the more popular canoe routes in the park. It lists mileage, number of carries and estimate of time to complete. It also includes maps and photos. It's a nice concise summary of the different options and a good starting point to start planning a trip.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe523 View Post
I'm looking for resources to discover new paddling locations for the upcoming season. I have been recommended the Quiet Water New York guide. Is there any other good resources I should be looking into. I'm pretty new to paddling so I'm looking to soak up all the info I can.

I haven't checked this one out yet, but it sounds promising:

"PENULTIMATE PADDLES in the Piseco, Indian & Canada Lakes Region: Southeast Adirondacks by Russell Dunn. The book's 67 chapters contain over 100 paddling forays, many of which have never before been written up in a paddling book. "

Also, if you have specific questions, ask on this forum. There are hundreds of years of collective paddling experience gathered here.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Buckladd

The Adirondack Paddlers Guide and both maps (including the latest) would be my top recommendation. They're simple and concise, but there are other waters not included in the parts of the 'Dacks so the other advised publications should be considered. Also, look through DEC's website on boat launches, lake contour maps and such, which show where boat launches are on public waters. And some online maps show what is public land and what isn't. Now's the time to look at this stuff. Good luck.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
RichieC

Not much to add to above suggestions, but as far as Adirondack Paddling opportunities.. Go here.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.82858,-74.28406&z=9&t=M

Get a dart and throw it at map... WAIT- print it out first! I'd stay away from any huge lakes, except perhaps for Cranberry , Indian, Stillwater... Others are debatable, Motorboats are not usually a paddlers goal, these three retain the wilderness feel.

Really i was just sending you this map that you will find very useful in looking up the places you read about. Note in top right corner, you can switch between map types to satellite images. I find this helps with cabin fever as planning and looking at features can almost be as much fun till you can actually go.

Couple of rules we all follow. You will most likely find sites that look like nobody has been there for awhile. There has been plenty of visitors, that's how we leave em... Don't leave anything you brought when you get wherever you go, and take any garbage you find. Like graffiti, its presence attracts more. No cutting of trees not dead and down (Park LAW). If you follow only those two rules, you'll be welcome back!

ohh have fun in one of the prettiest places on Earth and a paddlers paradise!

Last edited by RichieC; 02-04-2016 at 05:59 PM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
snipe523

Thank you all so much for all the info. I think I'll be busy researching until spring lol. Also I fully follow all rules. I spend most of my free time during the warmer months hiking, and nothing drives me nuts more than seeing all the trash people leave out on the trails. I came back from one particular outing last year with one whole section of my pack filled with wrappers and such that people had left literally in the middle of the trail.

I just came across the Bog River and Lows lake while doing some searching. That looks like a beautiful spot. Is that someplace that would be ok for a beginner?

Last edited by snipe523; 02-04-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
yellowcanoe

Quote:
I just came across the Bog River and Lows lake while doing some searching. That looks like a beautiful spot. Is that someplace that would be ok for a beginner?

I think its fine. Lows gets bouncy but if it is there are campsites all along it so turning around is not an issue.
If you have doubts about the screeching your inner voice is giving you, listen to it. It does not get better. Just go back into the narrows. Chances are your trip will be fine.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
Wldrns

There are extensive forum threads regarding Lows. If after you read some of them and you have specific questions, go ahead and ask. I've been there literally dozens of times.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #12
RichieC

Quote:
Thank you all so much for all the info. I think I'll be busy researching until spring lol. Also I fully follow all rules. I spend most of my free time during the warmer months hiking, and nothing drives me nuts more than seeing all the trash people leave out on the trails. I came back from one particular outing last year with one whole section of my pack filled with wrappers and such that people had left literally in the middle of the trail.

Lows is very nice. Trick to all med to large bodies, is to start early, you can get anywhere before the wind picks up. I've slept in the car in the parking lot when I've had concerns- even though it's not really kosher. Or camped in the first or so campsite from the launch if arriving in the evening. Sort of gives you an extra free day anyways.

Wanting to pick up other peoples crap means you'll fit right in!

HINT: Get a bug shirt. When/if you need it, ( between mid-May to After the 4th- anywhere in the park) you'll thank me.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Lows is definitely beginner friendly for the most part. I agree with the warning about the wind, but as others have stated, the number of campsites allow you to go only as far as you are comfortable/able. There are also a number of small bays and islands that can be used to quickly/easily get out of the wind when needed.

Also, be aware that there is a short portage from Hitchins Pond to the outlet of Lows proper. The portage is only a few hundred feet, so it's not super difficult, even if you takes you multiple trips back and forth to carry all of your gear.

There are also a few nice sites on Hitchins Pond so you could camp there and day trip up into Lows Lake.

Be sure not to miss the trail to Hitchins Overlook, which starts at the portage. It's a short, easy hike to an viewpoint overlooking Hitchins Pond.

The back end of Lows Lake is the better part of a full days paddle to reach, but is worth it, IMO. It's generally a quiet area with solitude in relative abundance. There are some beautiful campsites on Grass Pond in particular.

Here's a bunch of photo albums from multiple trips that I've undertaken in the Lows Lake area:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dsettahr/LowSLake

https://picasaweb.google.com/dsettahr/HitchinSOverlook

https://picasaweb.google.com/dsettah...owAndGrassPond

https://picasaweb.google.com/dsettah...chieHeadwaters
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #14
1bluefin

Great pic's ,hope to get there as well. Have to put it in the bucket list.
1bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
richard p

Lowe's

Yup - Lowe's is a great place to spend several days or a week, even for a beginner. Access point and parking can get very crowded on weekends however. Raquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake makes a nice map of Lowe's with site recommendations.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
snipe523

Excellent, thank you. The more I read and do research the more I'm itching for warm weather so I can get out there.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard p View Post
Access point and parking can get very crowded on weekends however.
Yeah, I should've mentioned that the sites closest to the put in (the Hitchins Pond sites) are all pretty obviously well used and heavily impacted. The further up the Bog River you go, the fewer people you'll see, generally.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
snipe523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post

Another is Phil Brown's "Adirondack Paddling: 60 Great Flatwater Adventures":
http://www.adk.org/page.php?pname=news-paddling-guide (also available on Amazon)

I picked this up at EMS on a recent trip to Lake Placid. Great book! It was one of the rare books for me that I could t put down once I picked it up. I have gone through the whole book already and have picked out about twenty spots that I think would be great to get me started. Next I think I'll make a trip to my local EMS and pick up the Adirondack Paddlers guide. I'll also be searching the forum for topics on each of the places I have picked out. I want to go into this with as much knowledge about each place I am heading as possible. Thank you all again for the help with getting me started.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #19
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr (or Ms) snipe,
You never mentioned if you are paddling a kayak, pack canoe or a solo or tandem canoe...
Some spots are more suited for one or another.
Also, do you plan to camp, or are you more interested in day trips?
And lastly, (for now) if camping, would you prefer solitude, or are you more comfortable with other folks nearby?
Old 02-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #20
snipe523

Paddling a Kayak. I will be starting with just day trips, but do plan to do some camping down the road. I don't real preference as far as the camping other than I wouldn't want to be in a traditional campground atmosphere. I don't mind other sites in the area but wouldn't want to be on top of people.