Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Suction cups to hold seat?

Last year I made a wood strip solo canoe and put a 3" high seat in it. I put two strips of fuzzy velcro on the bottom of the canoe and small pieces of grippy velcro on the bottom of the seat legs. This enabled me to move the seat back and forth for trim and to move it forward to the balance point for carrying the canoe overhead. The velcro I used claimed to be very strong but I found that exposure to water made it swell up and it also got dirty easily and then was hard to clean well enough to make it stick reliably again. I am thinking about whether I can take the velcro off the canoe and the seat and use four suction cups to hold the seat where I want it on the canoe bottom. I will do it as an experiment if no one knows, but I am hoping someone else has already tried sticking suction cups to fiberglass. I will be very glad of any advice.
Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7020008.jpg (42.8 KB, 74 views)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
madmike

This? http://northwater.com/collections/d-...p-track-anchor
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zach,
Take a look at 3M Dual Lock,

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_143e5q74v3_b

It's strong enough to lift my canoe by the seat with only the Dual Lock keeping the seat and boat together. It's all nylon, so water absorption shouldn't be a problem.
Oh, and it has little mushroom shaped interlocking pins, so it is not too affected by dirt and debris.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
1bluefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Zach,
Take a look at 3M Dual Lock,

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_143e5q74v3_b

It's strong enough to lift my canoe by the seat with only the Dual Lock keeping the seat and boat together. It's all nylon, so water absorption shouldn't be a problem.
Oh, and it has little mushroom shaped interlocking pins, so it is not too affected by dirt and debris.
Looks like the strip that holds the EZ Pass to the windshield.
1bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluefin View Post
Looks like the strip that holds the EZ Pass to the windshield.
Yup,
Same stuff, only you can buy it by the foot (or more).
Surprisingly strong and durable.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Zach

Thank you Stripperguy, the Dual Lock sounds great. I remember you were talking about trying it when you were building your Kite and I'm glad it worked out for you. Would you recommend the 1/2" or 1" width? I'll have four contact points about 3/4"x 2" each and I'm not sure which would be the best way to go.
Zach
Old 03-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Madmike, thanks for the idea. I had not seen those. I'd prefer something that's as low-profile as possible, and it looks like those loops might allow the seat to droop down and bonk my head when I had the canoe on top of the backpack.
Zach
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 AM   #8
bluequill

I wonder if the dual lock fastener would be strong enough to hold wooden foot-pegs in place? I was looking for something adjustable but trying to stay away from the commercial rigs.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Thank you Stripperguy, the Dual Lock sounds great. I remember you were talking about trying it when you were building your Kite and I'm glad it worked out for you. Would you recommend the 1/2" or 1" width? I'll have four contact points about 3/4"x 2" each and I'm not sure which would be the best way to go.
Zach
Zach,
I bought the 1/2" width, and 4 pieces are enough to support my entire boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
I wonder if the dual lock fastener would be strong enough to hold wooden foot-pegs in place? I was looking for something adjustable but trying to stay away from the commercial rigs.
bluequill,
There are data sheets available online for the Dual Lock that specify the tensile and shear strengths of the various size combinations. You would need to estimate(or measure, but that's pretty tricky in a non-lab environment) the applied loads and see if adequate margins could be maintained. My gut says no problem, my experience says do the calculation...
Old 03-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
Zach

Thanks Stripperguy, I will get the 1/2". It sounds perfect.
Zach
Old 03-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
bluequill

bluequill,
There are data sheets available online for the Dual Lock that specify the tensile and shear strengths of the various size combinations. You would need to estimate(or measure, but that's pretty tricky in a non-lab environment) the applied loads and see if adequate margins could be maintained. My gut says no problem, my experience says do the calculation...

Yeah, but since I'm not attaching heat tiles to the shuttle I will forgo the calculations/ stress tests and go with the gut. Too many variables to enter into the equation. I have used hook and loop to fasten a minicell pedestal to the hull on my ww boats with success. If it doesn't work, not much lost.

I have some ideas........
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
RichieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
bluequill,

Yeah, but since I'm not attaching heat tiles to the shuttle I will forgo the calculations/ stress tests and go with the gut. Too many variables to enter into the equation. I have used hook and loop to fasten a minicell pedestal to the hull on my ww boats with success. If it doesn't work, not much lost.

I have some ideas........
You'd be torquing the strip with a foot pedal and the added fulcrum against the forward most edge, it would be exactly the force you'd apply to expect to unattach the strip and would also exert a constant pressure on the glue. If you could prevent the edge toward you from lifting, the sheer strength would be retained , but you'd need a mechanical clip perhaps in a track that you'd have to bolt through the side but by now you'd be loosing whatever weight gain you expected.

If the pedal was part of a bar that went all the way across... you'd loose the torque, as the strips on both sides would work together ... but then it would have to be variable in width- not an insurmountable feature- but you have a bar all the way across.

You might contact a boat manufacturer that installs pedals in adjustable tracks in their boats, they have to buy them by the gross... they may be willing to sell you a pair.

My dad was a master machinist (Toolmaker) and always said, you gain one attribute to the detriment of another...

Or as he say it, When you gain one thing, you lose another.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote