Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Paddling from Trout Pond to Round Lake?

I was told a few years ago that it is possible to paddle from Trout Pond (near the Lower Dam on the Bog River) to Round Lake (near the Whitney Headquarters on Little Tupper Lake). I've been pouring through the map, though, and I can't really figure out how it can be done. Such a route would definitely involve portaging. Maybe carrying over the ridge south of Trout Pond to Bear Brook, following that down to the outlet of Round Lake, and then heading up the outlet to the lake itself? Judging from google earth, parts of Bear Brook might be navigable but the outlet of Round Lake looks pretty rocky.

I've looked on google and haven't been able to find any discussion of this route anywhere online.

Any ideas/thoughts? If anyone has any knowledge they don't want to share publicly, a PM would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Buckladd

An old post, although it doesn't mention anything about Round Lake, just the Lowes Lower Dam.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14480
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks. The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe I misunderstood what I was being told, and the route is to follow the Bog River downstream to the outlet of Round Lake, and then head up that stream. Still wouldn't be the easiest route, but as spidennis has shown, it is doable.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
Buckladd

I've been wanting to fish Trout and Little Trout Ponds for years.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Rich Lockwood

trout pond

A carry into trout pond was on my bucket list till I heard floatplanes land there. Is this true?
Thanks, Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
srprievo

I don't know about float planes but someone motored in from the south end and towed away a stashed boat while I was there last year.
srprievo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I believe Trout Pond is entirely within the Round Lake Wilderness, so neither float planes nor motor boats are allowed there.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 AM   #8
rickhart

This is described in the Paddler's Guide as part of the Whitney Loop -- not Trout Pond, but from the Lower Dam down the Bog River & up the Round Lake outlet. To avoid the longer rapids on the Bog, I took the carry option they mention starting at Pa's Falls. It was fairly long but very easy, mostly very flat, clear woods road. It comes out at the bridge over the Round Lake outlet, where you can paddle upstream for a bit until about across from Bear Brook. Then there's a clear carry trail up along the outlet, to Round. Even the entrance of Bear Brook didn't look too promising; I can imagine it might be quite a slog getting down the brook from the Trout Pond vicinity.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks. I'm thinking that I will possibly skip the Lower Dam part and just go upstream from Tupper Lake. Carry/line the rapids until I get to the outlet of Round Lake, then work my way upstream to Round Lake itself.

That way I can get in a night camped on Tupper Lake as well. I've been meaning to check out some of the campsites there for a while now.

Last edited by DSettahr; 03-08-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Rich Lockwood

you mean Tupper lake don't you?
Turtle
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yes. Brain fart. (Or maybe my subconcious meant to say "Raquette Pond.")
Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
dpc34

lots and lots of rocks coming out of Round Lake all the way to Bog River....used to have a hunting camp in that area..at one time on the Bog between the two water falls below the lower dam.right by the bridge that is between the falls....great area not much of a water route....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
Rich Lockwood

bog river

Tupper to bog river intersection is cake, havn't been beyond that.
Turtle
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
dpc34

Rich, from there up stream is where the rock show up...there used to be a sip line not to far from the bridge(1m)....once you get beyond Bear brook is where the rocks are....
Old 03-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

D,
What time of year might you do this?
If the water is high, it will be too fast to paddle up any of the frothy stuff. If the water is low, well, it'll be too low.
Above the confluence with the Bog, Round Lake Outlet is much better suited for downstream travel, you could still do the same route, just the other way around.
Below are two photos from midway along the carry that ends near Bear Brook confluence. Looking upstream, you can see the cable crossing, and downstream could be a fun paddle, assuming you have the right boat and experience...Photos from May, 2012 if you want to research water levels.
That drop in the upstream view is 4 or 5 ft.(Is that Don't Tell Rapids?)

Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #16
Wldrns

I was there a few years ago in the summer, fairly low water. I have similar photos somewhere. Round Pond outlet is nothing I would consider as paddleable, without a real beater boat to drag and bounce over rocks, and a lot of experience if the water is high. You'd bang on rocks most of the way. There is a well traveled trail on river right, and it is a pleasant carry.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #17
rickhart

Yes, Stripperguy's first photo is Don't Tell Falls. Below that is some rapids that some paddlers would think fine (not me!), then reducing to riffles and finally flat for a while. But no one should go below the bridge unless they scout it and are more or less a stunt paddler. There's a substantial falls and gorge there. There's a carry on river right to below the gorge (I think it goes all the way along that bank, or a road is near it, but I haven't gone there.)
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Yes, Stripperguy's first photo is Don't Tell Falls. Below that is some rapids that some paddlers would think fine (not me!), then reducing to riffles and finally flat for a while. But no one should go below the bridge unless they scout it and are more or less a stunt paddler. There's a substantial falls and gorge there. There's a carry on river right to below the gorge (I think it goes all the way along that bank, or a road is near it, but I haven't gone there.)
For those that are interested, here's that bridge and view upstream.

Here's the gorge, there are more drops between the bridge and the one you see here.

And this is the view downstream from near the end of the carry...the carry is indeed on river right, watch your footing as you scramble down to return to river level.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #19
dpc34

There are some great trout holes downstream of the bridge...great pics...there used to be a hunting camp by the bridge(called the Half Ass club)A bear destroyed it one spring and another was built further up stream 100yd....
Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks for all of the advice. If I am able to do this trip, it would be in a borrowed 1 person Placid Boatworks Canoe- not something I have even the remotest inclination to take through any rocky or swift water stretches. Obviously I would be portaging or lining where necessary.

I've got 9 days to play with and was thinking about a route from Little Tupper to Intlet/Cranberry Lake, and was trying to think of ways to possible extend that route, if possible, hence my interest in Round Lake and destinations to the north.