Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #21
Wldrns

Before you get out there, it will pay to become familiar with the NYS outdoor regulations on the DEC web page. NY has some of the least restrictive rules for traveling and camping in the backcountry of any state's wilderness area, but there are certain regulations nonetheless, and the regs may change from one area to the next. If you decide to go remote, be sure to understand the "150 foot rule". Pretty much a Leave No Trace policy defines the regulations.

Primitive Camping:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html

State Land Hiking and Camping Rules:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

If you have any specific questions, the NYSDEC Forest Rangers are there to help and will appreciate a call. A call to one or the other in your area of interest is well worth a few minutes on the phone. They are very experienced and can give you more information than you will ever need if you let them. The Adirondacks are in DEC Regions 5 (eastern side) and 6 (western side). Give 'em a call.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/50303.html
Old 02-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #22
snipe523

Resources for new paddling destinations

I have somewhat of a head start as far as most of the rules as I hike on a regular basis and do my best to adhere to the rules of the places I go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snipe523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #23
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr. snipe,
I saw that you had posted about picking up a couple of kayaks for your wife and yourself.
Did you get out in them yet? I assume you're getting comfortable in a variety of conditions.
As you've done so, have you yet developed a preference for the general paddling experience? As such, do you prefer big lakes and their expansive views, or do you prefer smaller, more intimate water? Or maybe rivers are more your thing, or small streams?
I would suggest Fall Stream, Kunjamuck River, West Branch Sacandaga River, Jessup River as places to enjoy as day trips. None of these require any carrying.
For smaller ponds and lakes, you might like Thirteenth Lake, Garnet Lake, Mason Lake, Lake Abenakee, Jabe Pond, Cheney Pond. Most of these also have some camping opportunities, some better than others.
For larger lakes, you might try Blue Mountain Lake, Indian Lake, Raquette Lake, Cedar River Flow, Forked Lake. All of the smaller and larger waters I've mentioned have direct accessible put ins, no carrying required.