Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
GRGS

ADK rules on motorized canoes

New to the forum. Looking for some help on motorized canoes on Little Tupper, Tupper, Indian and Long Lakes. Can you use motorized canoes on any of these lakes? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank You
GRGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Little Tupper, nope...nothing with a motor, not even an electric motor.
Any designated wilderness will be the same.
Motors OK on Big Tupper, Indian, Long, etc.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
RichieC

Little Tupper is out for motors- the rest of your list are ok...

Google is your friend.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...ee-waters.html

https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Brows...8sc.Default%29
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

As stripperguy states, motors (including electric trolling motors) are prohibited on any body of water located within a wilderness area (with a couple of small exceptions).

The following two webpages list lakes in the Adirondacks where motors are prohibited entirely or where restrictions are in place concerning the type of motor and/or the maximum HP:

6 CRR-NY 196.4 Operation of mechanically propelled vessels and aircraft in the forest preserve.

6 CRR-NY 196.5 Operation of mechanically propelled vessels on certain bodies of water.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
GRGS

Thank You
GRGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

The fisherman using a small outboard motor hardly intrudes on the serenity of a small ADK lake.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
The fisherman using a small outboard motor hardly intrudes on the serenity of a small ADK lake.
Jim
Jim,
I would disagree with that comment somewhat.
When paddling my canoe and I pass someone using an outboard motor where it is not permitted (fishermen or not), I find it very intruding. And more times than not my polite & friendly reminder about the regs are met with unawareness, so I applaud GRGS for asking first.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
madison

I would disagree with that comment more than somewhat. Outboard motors, even small ones, are loud and extremely intrusive. And since about 95% of the total water surface in the Adirondacks are accessible to motors, there is no need to invade the serenity of the tiny percentage of waters where one can go to get away from them.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
RichieC

When you can carry on a conversation with someone fishing, as they float 200 yards out onto a pond using a normal level speaking voice, when you can hear a loon calling several ponds/lakes away or a series of barred owl calling to each other miles away, even the quietest of motors' noise will carry miles and miles- not what I traveled and carried and worked so hard to get away from. Why I like the fact the cell phones don't work in the same places... and boom boxes are left home.

The truth is, 99% of water bodies in the world are open to motors, cracks me up when people complain about one that is motor free, like it restricts them somehow. Use a paddle, you'll see and hear more- and We won't have to listen to your pollution.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Jim,
I would disagree with that comment somewhat.
When paddling my canoe and I pass someone using an outboard motor where it is not permitted (fishermen or not), I find it very intruding. And more times than not my polite & friendly reminder about the regs are met with unawareness, so I applaud GRGS for asking first.
Justin,
I think that we in NY could take a lesson from other states in limiting the HP on smaller lakes.
I was dismayed at seeing water skiers on Taylor Pond. Heck, back in the "old days" I saw folks water skiing on Pharaoh Lake, something that I totally disagreed with.
I agree with all, that outboards should be banned from remote lakes and rivers.

But, I still say that a fisherman using a small motor while trolling hardly intrudes.
Small modern outboard motors are whisper quiet and are environmentally friendly. Not like the old two strokes that released oil and gas in their exhaust.
Ji
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote