Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

Stony creek?

I'm think of a mid may trip starting there going into the raquette to possibly go up some and down some and return. Will current be a problem then? othr suggestions?
thanks,Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Wldrns

If you are a decent paddler you should not have any problem. But you never know what heavy rain and current are going to do with the current after a late snowmelt. Stony Creek is one of my favorite places to paddle, normally very winding and fun to paddle the curves with the beautiful long flowing grassy weeds and light current.

But last year, 14 hours into the Cannonball-90 on the summer solstice, recent rains had risen the Raquette and Stony Creek to incredible levels. We could have simply cut across many bends on the Raquette, but didn't. However we were able to paddle in a virtual straight line straight up Stony Creek all the way from the Raquette to the ponds through the trees without having to stay in the creek channel at all. It was a terrific experience. Even with so much water, because the river and the creek had flooded over their normal banks the current was relative mild on both the Raquette and Stony.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

We paddled part of the Raquette last July and were not alone. Current about 1.0 mph..Some novice kayakers were able to do it.

The campsites at the junction of Stony Creek and the Racquette are pretty nice.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
mgc

It should not be a problem but the Stony Creek site tends to be a major muddy bug hole. It's also not exactly one of the rivers most picturesque locations.
Keep in mind that putting in there requires a short downhill carry that is a bit of a bugger on the way back out.
A more likely route might be to put in at Axton's and paddle up to the falls and back. You can pick up Stony Creek as a side trip.
Early in the year I often bring a pole along for the upstream travel. It's a easier to pole upstream in shallow streams than it is to paddle.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

I've made many trips from Axton to the base of the rapids paddling solo in my old Chestnut.
The only shallow areas are just before the leanto below the rapids.
If you stay on the right bank (upstream) you'll not have a problem.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
snapper
snapper

I've worked for SUNY Cortland's outdoor education practicum since the mid 70s and have been with numerous novice paddlers as we've been put in at Middle Saranac and then headed back against current and usual wind flow back to Raquette Lake. While some years were challenging, there was never a time we weren't able to complete the trip and, most of these trips were in late May or early June. YMMV as they say but we still do these trips today so my guess is you'll be OK.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote