Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Hard Scrabble

State permitted camps

For those who are younger, NY State allowed semi permanent camps on many bodies of water.
The camps were allowed walls up to four feet high with canvas roofs.
Most folks strung chicken wire to support the canvas roof.
Some were there for generations, I talked to folks back in the Pillsbury Lake area whose camp was there from French Louie times.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

During the time of French Louie, was Pillsbury Lake owned by the state? I was under the impression that most, if not all of that area was privately owned by logging companies.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Here is some interesting reading on the subject

I remember paddling by some of those tent platforms on Long Pong when I was a kid. Even though I was just a little guy, I remember being disgusted by the refuse at some of those sites. Big LP tanks tossed in the water, rusting refrigerators, all sorts of junk stoves, etc.
I was amazed when I paddled Long Pond again in the late '70's...all the mess was cleaned up and if you never knew those camps were there, you couldn't guess it!!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

To be fair, a lot of the state campsites were just as bad at the time. You can still find evidence of some of the old garbage pits at old lean-tos if you know where to look.

I have an old Conservation Department publication from the late 60's (I think) that advises paddlers to "extinguish their cigarettes by tossing them into streams and ponds" to prevent forest fires.

Ethics have changed across the board.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
During the time of French Louie, was Pillsbury Lake owned by the state? I was under the impression that most, if not all of that area was privately owned by logging companies.
Lots of trash from the old Sturges camp still at Whitney Lake from those old days.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Float Planes were also allowed to continue landing at Whitney Lake until the late 90's.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
hickoryskier
Dave

From an old, old Sports Afield magazine-"A good sportsman always sinks his cans"
hickoryskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryskier View Post
From an old, old Sports Afield magazine-"A good sportsman always sinks his cans"
Hey, I remember that ad in Field and Stream or Sports Afield or one of those...
It was a full page ad showing a "responsible" sportsman sinking his empty can of ale over the side of a canoe. Magazine was from '60's or '70's, wish I had a copy of that today!!
How times have changed...Now, you just leave your cans and other refuse in your still burning campfire when you leave. (heavy sarcasm)
Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Hard Scrabble

For the most part, I've found that the old Adirondackers did a pretty good job.
They burned their cans in the campfire, burning off the tin and leaving the steel cans to rust away.
Now we have plastic stuff that will last for decades if not longer.
The old time guys take too much criticism.
Jim
Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
For the most part, I've found that the old Adirondackers did a pretty good job.
They burned their cans in the campfire, burning off the tin and leaving the steel cans to rust away.
Now we have plastic stuff that will last for decades if not longer.
The old time guys take too much criticism.
Jim
Yeah, I wonder how long mylar takes to go away? I found a stash of what I call "Old Timey Garbage" while bushwacking around one of the campsites on cedar river flow. Old steel Ballentine beer cans and some other rusty cans that had been opened by a church key.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Trail Boss

One of many steel cans left to rust away in the Sawtooth Range.

C&C Super Coola Cola. Probably circa 1959.

Over a half-century and it's still working on rusting away.
http://www.canmuseum.com/Detail.aspx?CanID=33643

From here:

A mess of historical proportions.

Old-timers needn't be criticized, they simply followed the "best practices" of the day (burn, bash, and bury). Practices have evolved and we now know better ways of keeping the backcountry from looking like a dump/incinerator/landfill.

PS
There's some sort of "time threshold" where particular objects of a certain age magically cease being garbage and become "historical artifacts". I'm not sure the C&C Super Coola is quite there yet but this lone iron pot felt "rare and special" when we stumbled across it. All a matter of perception, I guess.

Iron pot found near a small brook.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 10-23-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
58rover

I was on little fish in late August and the DEC has left a mess where they are planning on a fish barrier dam. There was white plastic that came off the wood they dropped on site all over. A good wind could blow it in the pnd.
Don't know why they didn't remove it what an eyesore.
I also know of a few dump sites left about at old sites, some with old aluminum chair/cot frames, beer cans,,,ect
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
suescanal

PS
There's some sort of "time threshold" where particular objects of a certain age magically cease being garbage and become "historical artifacts". I'm not sure the C&C Super Coola is quite there yet but this lone iron pot felt "rare and special" when we stumbled across it. All a matter of perception, I guess.

Awareness and a sense of "history". I found a projectile point along the St Regis River -it was magical as I had a feeling about finding one before i laid eyes on it.I brought it to the NYS Museum to find out more information and the archaeologist said "well, either the Woodland or Archaic period- this guy never finished it". So, was it considered not worth finishing for some reason and left behind, or just tossed? It's beautiful in any event, and if my house catches fire, I'd grab it on the way out. Maybe I'm off topic!
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by suescanal View Post

Awareness and a sense of "history". I found a projectile point along the St Regis River -it was magical as I had a feeling about finding one before i laid eyes on it.I brought it to the NYS Museum to find out more information and the archaeologist said "well, either the Woodland or Archaic period- this guy never finished it". So, was it considered not worth finishing for some reason and left behind, or just tossed? It's beautiful in any event, and if my house catches fire, I'd grab it on the way out. Maybe I'm off topic!
Perhaps it's not that far off topic, as archaeologists just recently found 7,000 year old mastodon artifacts near Albany Internation Airport here in Colonie, including a projectile point...

http://m.timesunion.com/tuplus-local...ns-6696124.php

Now, what this has to do with paddling or "State Permitted Camps" might be another story.

Last edited by Justin; 12-14-2015 at 09:29 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
The "old timers" Louie and others came before the state "Forever Wild" edict.
They built their camps where ever they wanted.
The logging interests didn't give a hoot.
Jim
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #16
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I've heard that there's different time frames and use cases depending if you're on Park or NFS land, and I'm sure each State DEM/etc group has their own guidelines too. Some of the stuff I think is cool and adds atmosphere - plywood and 5 gallon buckets do not.

(abandoned trailer near a gold mine in the SoCal desert)

Last edited by All Downhill From Here; 12-17-2015 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: shrink picture
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
EagleCrag

ADFH: Whenever I look at your avatar it reminds me of Donald Sutherland when he played in Kelley's Heros. Its the way you have your head cocked I think. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Negative waves, man.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote