Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
hookman33

Hanging a kevlar canoe

I have an 18' Wenonah Jensen canoe in kevlar. I want to hang it overhead as I store it this winter. Is there any problem hanging it from bow and stern only or should I suspend from mid thwart also? I'll appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Why not!! How much does that hull weigh, 40 or 45 lbs?
Think for a moment about the loads on the hull when in the water and loaded. Granted, the loads are more evenly distributed, but ultimately, the gunnels and thwarts must react the compressive and tensile loads of up to 400 lbs or more.
If the hull can survive these loads, then hanging the hull, keel up or down, should be no problem.
If you plan to use three supports, just know that it is very difficult to get all three to contribute. More than likely (unless one of the three is compliant) two of the supports will do all of the work, and the third will just appear to be working, kind of like a DOT crewman.
I hang some of my boats keel up and supported by loops of line about two feet in from from each stem.
Most important for your boat is to keep it out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Any load induced distortions would be difficult to see or measure.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
hookman33

Thanks Stripperguy. I always store it indoors, keel up on saw horses. This year I want to get it overhead and out of the way. I'll hang it as you suggest. I appreciate the reply.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Wldrns

I have 5 frequently used canoes in wood, kevlar, and carbon, and a woodstrip guideboat all suspended from the rafters in my garage as they have been for several years. A lightweight model thin skin Grumman lives in a shed out back, as it has been similarly hung for 40 years. I use 2 webbing straps positioned about a quarter of the way from each end, and hoist them up with individual simple pulley/rope systems. I'm lucky enough to have a large garage high enough for cars to easily fit under the upraised canoes. It works great and have seen no deformation issues, don't expect any.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
yellowcanoe

Just another voice in the choir here. You will be fine.

Wenonah Odyssey so stored since 1991( except the year we moved and it lived under feet of snow). UL layup alu gunwales. Two contact points. location dictated by roofing members.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote