Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
coldfeet

Oswegatchie and Big/Little Shallow

https://picasaweb.google.com/1097878...chie5Ponds2015

Figured on saving you from reading so much stuff and me from typing. All I can say was WOW! This was my 3rd time on the Os. The first time we paddled to Five Ponds Trail and hiked in and stayed at lean to on Big Shallow for 2 nights. Last year I went back with a buddy and we paddled up to the Falls and saw a lot of bear scat. This time the goal was to portage the Five Ponds Trail and paddle/fish Big and Little Shallow. Well looking at the pics you can see what we did.

First the paddle from Inlet to the trail was rain on and off and wind, wind and wind. Then during the hike more rain and wind, on and off. Should have done the stream crossing two times, one with pack only and then the boat, nope but I was lucky, only one wet foot. Then app another 45 min to the lean to and Big Shallow. After sucking up some oxygen and eating app 2000 calories it was time to sleep, at ummm 6:30. It was dark and temps were pretty good for an early November.

Next morning we carried food and boats on trail to Little Shallow. Take a few lean to pics and paddle on the pond to fish. Me being a newbi with my new fishing license catch 2 tiny fish and with my friends help get the hook out and throw them back. My buddy was a great guide and let me do all the catching while he turned red each time I yelled "fish on!" He proceeded to point me far away from my lucky spot towards the other end of the pond. We left there and then portaged back through the many different forest zones, so beautiful was each one.

Now back at Big Shallow we collect wood and decide on a sunset paddle towards the back of the pond. Once we get there we notice a second tier of water, another gem created by the beavers. We get on top and paddle around looking at the hut and other cool sites. Neither of us notice but it started to get really dark fast and then the rain came down, hard and fast. As we get ready to climb over the dam to get back to the pond level the rain started to "bounce" and "ping" off our clothing and boats, louder and harder. A HAIL STORM! Holy cow it was coming down pretty fast. Smiling and taking pictures I didn't realize that we were standing on top of a beaver dam and things could take a turn for the worse. For some reason I was thinking about hail and lightning. We each made our own way off the dam and back into our boats when the hail started to slow down and it turned back into a light rain. In 5 minutes we were back at the lean to getting changed and was able to get our campfire started. Once again another 2000 calories was gobbled up, mostly cheese Kaysadeas with and without bacon. I made a new meal, tuna melt. The rain stopped but the wind just kept blowing the smoke into the lean to. My eyes were starting to tear and puff up, yuk. That night the temps probably dropped into upper 20's or low 30's, all ok we were geared up.

In the am we packed up and I took a beaver stick and inserted it into a foam roll and was able to balance the Hornbeck on it instead of my head on the way in, much much better. the hike out wasn't so bad, over the stream this time 2 times for safety reasons. But 3/4 way through the hike I was starting to feel a bit tired, the marsg just never seemed to end on our left side. We get back to the Os and meet 2 young students paddling up stream to the falls and beyond. Ahh to be strong and have good knees. We took our time paddling back to the car, app 4 plus hours and packed up. Then the tough part came, 360 miles back home! waaaaa! Arrived home at 12:15 am this morning and went back to teaching at 8:10 this morning. Well worth it! Where to next you ask? Suggestions are welcome. Be safe and well, David
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
58rover

ah brook trout season closed on Oct 15th.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
coldfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rover View Post
ah brook trout season closed on Oct 15th.
I was told something like that. Question, how does one stop a fish from catching your lure? I don't want to break any rules. Do you use a certain type of lure so the little ones don't bite it? As you can see we made sure to release it asap for it's safety. Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
forgedin78

Dont mean to sound like a smartass here, but after Oct 15th, you just put your rod and reel away, thats how. At least in trout waters.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
coldfeet

I apologize and didn't understand. I deleted that picture so not to influence others. My buddy mentioned that we were fishing for something else that I don't recall. Not being a fisherman I thought that certain fish go after certain bait. I did buy a permit a few weeks ago just to make sure I was not breaking any rules. Once again I apologize to all and will do my homework next time I venture out again.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Wldrns

It used to be whenever you bought a fishing or hunting license you would also receive a printed booklet of all the regulations. That doesn't happen anymore, but you are given instructions of where to read the regulations online. In case you don't remember, here are the links for fishing:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html#View
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
coldfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
It used to be whenever you bought a fishing or hunting license you would also receive a printed booklet of all the regulations. That doesn't happen anymore, but you are given instructions of where to read the regulations online. In case you don't remember, here are the links for fishing:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html#View
Thank you Wldrns, I bought my license at an indoor archery range where they were set up having a birthday party for app 20 kids. It felt a little uneasy with my back turned while paying. The owner didn't fill me in on the website plus my last name is printed incorrectly. When I mentioned this to him he told me that was the way it was set up on the dept of motor vehicle. I just shook my head and walked out. Once again thank you.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Upstate Matt

Thanks for the report and the pics.

Folks around here fish in waters that are home to various species and target what is in season, taking care to avoid out of season fish, especially during breeding season. It is illegal to target out of season species, not to catch them. At least that is the way that my feeble mind interprets the regs.

I have never been directed to a web site when getting a hunting or fishing license.

It is great that you have someone to show you the ropes regarding fishing. It is such a simple thing, but can be quite complicated!
Upstate Matt is offline   Reply With Quote