Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Dick
somewhere out there...

ADK slide guide

I received this notice from ADK, and thought it might be of interest to some.

Dick

<http://www.dacksdescents.com/cover.html> Thumbnail image link of the
book
cover of The Adirondack Slide Guide by Drew Haas

Author and Photographer of Adirondack Slide Guide, Drew Haas will be
conducting a multimedia presentation and book signing on Thursday,
January
25, 2007 at 7:00 pm. Presentation will take place at Eastern Mountain
Sports at Stuyvesant Plaza.

If your aspirations involve backcountry skiing in the Adirondacks or if
you
are an experienced backcountry traveler, be sure to come and meet Drew
for
some great stories and even greater photos!

For more info, contact EMS at (518) 482-0088
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
NukedRocket
Yeah, buddy!

The pictures in this book are awesome! It'll really pique an interest in slide climbing, if one so desires. I know Val enjoyed looking at my copy, I'm still trying to wipe all the drool off the pages. I hope I can make this event.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
fvrwld

I just happen to have that night off. I will most likely be there.

Thanks for posting this Dick.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukedRocket View Post
The pictures in this book are awesome! It'll really pique an interest in slide climbing, if one so desires. I know Val enjoyed looking at my copy, I'm still trying to wipe all the drool off the pages. I hope I can make this event.
Val's drool, or Gerard's?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

I'm there
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Tuchov
Pirate

Hmm, a Thursday. Classes stop for me on Wednesday, so I might come back into town for this
Old 01-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
BarbOrdell
Running Barefoot

Mmmm, a slide guide. Sounds like a neat book for discovering uncharted treasures.... but thought there might be some people who would think the added attention will draw too many "outsiders" into unspoiled and previously unknown areas. But after looking at the table of contents, these look like slides on only the popular peaks. Does he cover any of the less known slides?
BarbOrdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
fvrwld

So, who's going?

Kevin and I will be at Mangia's at 5:30 if anyone wants to join us for dinner.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
NukedRocket
Yeah, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
Kevin and I will be at Mangia's at 5:30 if anyone wants to join us for dinner.
Christy and I will join you. Time to get my grub on.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
windsong781

Is Drew Haas the guy who photographed the pictures of skiing the slides in the ADK's that are in the current (Feb) issue of ADK Life? I was in the bookstore today and was admiring the photos. I remember the photographers last name as being Haas. To bad I live in Boston

Windsong
windsong781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
Boreal Chickadee

Yes, that's him. He's got a nice article showing his winter photography, about 4 pages worth.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #12
windsong781

Thanks BC, I'll have to go back to the bookstore and take the time to read the article.

Winsong
windsong781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:27 AM   #13
Tuchov
Pirate

Well, I got slammed with work and won't be attending it looks like. I'll still pick up the book though, always did want to know/see more about the slides
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

I have seen the book and it's a shame the pics are in black & white instead of color. I t would also be nice if he listed some info about the slides such as the feet of each slide, and perhaps the degree's.

no slam on the book but in my opinion the pics aren't very good quality either.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFOREST View Post
I have seen the book and it's a shame the pics are in black & white instead of color. I t would also be nice if he listed some info about the slides such as the feet of each slide, and perhaps the degree's.

no slam on the book but in my opinion the pics aren't very good quality either.
Deepforest, I'm a bit of a slide aficianado having done maybe 15 slides working on a list of about 50 total. I have spent some time trying to figure the slides out using the aerial photography of the USA photomaps program. The problem is that many of the aerial photos seem to predate the slides' formation. Also, I had heard of many slides whose location was a bit of a mystery to me until this excellent book/resource came along. I believe the usage of B&W photography (and taking the pics in winter) was deliberate in order to enhance contrast.

I was working on a guidebook to the slides and wrote up 6 or 7 with very detailed info for each slide including pictures on, of and from the slides, GPS coordinates, tracklogs overlain onto USGS quads, rise and run of each slide, bushwhack info, difficulty ratings, "book" times, parking etc. Everything you'd need. In spite of getting an offer from a publisher this book will never happen because I decided that in publishing it I would be contributing to the destruction of something wild and wonderful.

So I wholeheartedly agree with the author's simplistic approach. The info contained in the book is plenty enough. ie. you see it in the book, you want to go there, the rest is up to you.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

To me this picture looks like it was drawn on a blackboard with chalk.
When I think of a book thats an excellent resource i think of this:http://www.adk.org/new_store/Product...?productid=CLB

I'm also curious which slides were a "mystery" to you untill this book came out?

IMO- this is a picture book of ADK slides not a "guide". Other than a visual refferance I don't see a lot of value in it. Is asking the degree of a slide or the distance really too much to ask from a "guide".
I agree the name "Adirondack Slide Guide" has a nice ring to it, but it falls way short of a slide guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colden slide.jpg (43.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Neil
Kayak-46

By mystery I meant I didn't know where many of the slides were (especially the ones in the great range) allthough I had heard references to them, but this book cleared it up for me. Anyway, I find that for what I needed it 's a very good little book. I have spent lots of time looking at it. Again, I'm glad that he gave out no more info than what's in there.

I agree with you about the title. Maybe "compendium of ADK slides" or "a pictorial essay" would be better titles. If you would like you can join ADKHighpeaks.com/forums and address the author directly. PM me your email address and I'll set you up.

Last edited by Neil; 01-26-2007 at 09:09 AM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
Kevin
**BANNED**

I was at the presentation last night. It was fun and I learned a lot about what it takes to ski deep into the backcountry.

I spoke with Drew for a few minutes (getting the book signed). And lo-and-behold, I forgot to plug adkforum . Thankfully Neil doesn't seem to forget to promote adkhighpeaks forum, so I guess if you need real advice from experts you can go there as he'll have the market on them by year's end. [couldn't help myself ]

As a side note, Drew is a very personable guy and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to chat slides with anyone that asks. He's got the level of experience at age 27 that I suspect many never get in 80 years. He lives and breathes this stuff! And his enthusiasm for it is contagious. The presentation was well done for being 'low budget', and I would recommend it to others (I suspect this won't be the only one).

As far as Neil's point about less-is-more, I'll need to agree there. Anyone who wants to tackle many of these slides should, IMO, do a lot of their own homework for a host of different reasons. I wouldn't try to minimize the effort it takes to get deep into the high peaks to access some of these, and I also wouldn't want to spoil the sense of adventure in the achievement.

When we were talking about his choice of photographing the mountains in the winter he smiled (in agreement) when I pointed out that it was a good decision because it made the slides stand out more. In the summer it's often hard to discern the edges of the slides (green is green, and many of the older slides have a lot of growth on them).

It's good to know there's quality people doing helpful things while having fun and making a living doing it.

I see the book as a companion to my maps.

There was about 30 in attendence, which I guess surpassed their expectations.

That's all for now.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #19
NukedRocket
Yeah, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
As far as Neil's point... I'll need to agree there.
Wait, what? Have the planets aligned?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
In spite of getting an offer from a publisher this book will never happen because I decided that in publishing it I would be contributing to the destruction of something wild and wonderful.
Now you have me interested........
What would be destroyed by the publishing of a detailed slide book like the one you were working on, the slides or the woods leading to them?
How would they be destroyed and by who?