Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Wireless internet access at the Loj is a good idea?
Yes I think Wireless internet access at the Loj is a good idea 18 23.38%
No, I think itís a bad idea 26 33.77%
It doesnít really matter to me 33 42.86%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Little Rickie

Wireless Hot Spot Added to Loj pros & cons

I just opened my copy of the "Adirondack". On page 6, in the "letter from the President" He states "We have also added a wire-less hot spot to the Loj, which allows guests to access the Internet while enjoying respite at our remote wilderness location."

Whats next electric lights in the Lean-tos?

I don't want to see a: TV, monitor, computer screen, lap top, i-pod, vidio games or any kind of electronics period! I go to the Loj to get away from this stuff.

What do some of you think?

Does someone know how to set up a pole so we can vote on this and gater opinion?

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Just looked for the poll thingie.

Looks as if when the forum upgrade was installed the ability for members to create polls was not enabled.

Probably an oversight unless the new owners prefer that not anyone start a poll, but I don't think that's the case.

If I'm correct, hopefully they will remedy the situation.
For now I'll suggest a new "man-rule" (women included).

Anyone catching anyone in the High Peaks with a laptop, Blackberry, or Palm must immediately slap them silly.

In the meantime I'll have to put some thought into what i think about the situation.

Hmm, gives me an idea..... How about a GPS that also plays mp3's and podcasts? Are you listening Garmin? You could call it the G-pod.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Poll has been added

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
coolrobc

I can see +/- on this.

For some, like parents of very young children, people with disabled dependents, key employees, business owners, etc. It will allow them to actually get away, but still check in back home or at work if something goes wrong.

On the other hand, most of us go to the 'Dacks just to get away from all of that.

I specifically camp where there is no cell phone coverage just so I can avoid a call from work, but some people don't have that luxury. Having a point where they can contact "the world" might be the only way they can justify getting away.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
Poll has been added

Thank You! You're a good man.

This should be interesting.

William Shakespeare
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post

Whats next electric lights in the Lean-tos?
No, but I hear that toilet paper warmers are being considered.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
AdkWalrus

If you're staying there and your job requires you to check in daily, then I think it makes sense. Otherwise, what the heck do you have a laptop there for? I suspect there was some operational reason the Loj had wireless internet installed, and they thought it made sense to open it up to guests.
AdkWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
coolrobc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
No, but I hear that toilet paper warmers are being considered.
SWEET! I've never been to the Loj, but I'll book my trip as soon as they're installed!! Ain't nothin' betta' than warm TP on a cold night!

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
Old 01-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Little Rickie

[QUOTE=AdkWalrus;58879]If you're staying there and your job requires you to check in daily, then

Use the pay phone.

I don't care about warm TP but the bathrooms and showers could use an upgrade. That may do more for the users comfort than a wireless zone.

"enjoying respite at our REMOTE WILDERNESS location" this just doesn't seem to fit "with wireless hot spot".

Call me old fashion but the room is a great place with a fire place, wonderfull old books, board games and comfortable chairs. I don't want technology in that kind of setting. I want simple, close to nature stuff. That's the attraction of the place. That's why I want to go to places like that.

I think people that are dependent of electronics on a day to day basis may need to break their ties to the artificial world. Are electronics so intertwined in our lives that we can't seperate ourselves from them for even a few days?

Does anyone know what a Borg is?

William Shakespeare
Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
coolrobc

Quote:
If you're staying there and your job requires you to check in daily, then

Use the pay phone.
Like I said, never been there, didn't know about the pay phone, so that eliminates my argument for people with family considerations.

Quote:
I think people that are dependent of electronics on a day to day basis may need to break their ties to the artificial world. Are electronics so intertwined in our lives that we can't seperate ourselves from them for even a few days?
For some of us, the answer is yes.

I work in IT, before my company was merged with a larger company, I had a very hard time going on any sort of vacation without being close to a computer and internet access.

If ANYTHING happened to one of the servers, an application crash, etc. in most cases, I was the ONLY person that could fix it. Most of the applications we used to use were proprietary. I couldn't go for a week long wilderness camp out during that time. I had to have access to the office in the event of an emergency, and they had to be able to contact me. The most flexibility I was granted was getting a long weekend here and there, usually Fridays since it was our slowest day of the week. Other than that I had to be in contact with the office.

Since we merged with this other company this is no longer the case for me.

If it weren't for the fact that I really like my job I would have never tolerated that. For people in my situation, something like what the loj is doing would be a godsend.

As I said before, I'm unfamiliar with the Loj, perhaps they could restrict internet use to certain areas/times, so as to not impinge on the wilderness experience of others?

Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Little Rickie

As I said before, I'm unfamiliar with the Loj

You're missing something real nice.

Go spend a weekend at the loj and do a new post. It would be interesting to see if this changes your opinion.

William Shakespeare
Old 01-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
coolrobc

Quote:
Go spend a weekend at the loj and do a new post. It would be interesting to see if this changes your opinion.
That's the point I'm trying to make, until last year, I couldn't. I spent most of my time in the Adirondacks near my grandparents' house, that way if I had to login to work I could.

What's the setup like there? Are there seperate rooms, or is it more dormitory style? Would the idea of restricting usage to one area work or is there just one common space?

Just curious for your(or anyone's) thoughts on that.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrobc View Post
That's the point I'm trying to make, until last year, I couldn't. I spent most of my time in the Adirondacks near my grandparents' house, that way if I had to login to work I could.

What's the setup like there? Are there seperate rooms, or is it more dormitory style? Would the idea of restricting usage to one area work or is there just one common space?

check this out for info on the Loj http://www.adk.org/ad_loj/index.aspx

I have never stayed there. ADK members get a discount on rates.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
coolrobc

OK, so after I've looked at the site posted by kwc: Would you still have a problem if they restricted internet usage to private rooms so as to lessen the impact on the wilderness experience for others?

I realize that as of now there is probably no restriction, but if there was would you be less concerned by it? If so, maybe you could petition ADK for something like that. Based on the poll, it seems like your not the only person to take issue with it.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
Little Rickie

Quote:

It seems to me you voted about wireless access in general.

Having never been to the Loj then maybe you shouldn't have voted or commented on something you don't have first hand knowledge on.

I think you need to have the experience on staying at the Loj to properly vote. Pictures are not enough.

Go stay at the Loj before your job responsibilities get in the way again.

You work too hard. You deserve to get away.

William Shakespeare
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
coolrobc

eh, agree to disagree.

For the record I voted "It doesn't matter to me" Precisly because I've never been.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #17
Little Rickie

Quote:
OK, so after I've looked at the site posted by kwc: Would you still have a problem if they restricted internet usage to private rooms so as to lessen the impact on the wilderness experience for others?

I realize that as of now there is probably no restriction, but if there was would you be less concerned by it? If so, maybe you could petition ADK for something like that. Based on the poll, it seems like your not the only person to take issue with it.

Quite simple I go to a wildnerness/backcountry location because they do not have and I expect them not have or keep to a minimum modern conveniences. I don't want a modern hotel. That's the attraction. That's the value being violated by a wireless access hot spot.

I think if you have not stayed at the Loj and have experienced it's values first hand then you shouldn't vote on this issue at all.

William Shakespeare
Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #18
Little Rickie

[QUOTE=coolrobc;58895]eh, agree to disagree.

It's an open forum. No big deal.

William Shakespeare
Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
Sparky

If it's such a problem, then just ignore it, don't use it, don't bring your laptop or WiFi finder. I can't understand the reason for the debate. Maybe they should take out the toilets too.

But to many it's a nice, added benefit by the Club to help attract people who might otherwise stay in Lake Placid, where they can be connected. Let's help support the ADK, not bash them
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
Zan
Administrator

If Little Rickie receives Adirondac than he does support the ADK.

The ADK advertises itself as "Your Voice for Wilderness", hence they should be open to hearing what we think...

Little Rickie, to play off your BORG question, "resistance is" not "futile".

--Chief Seattle
Zan is offline   Reply With Quote