Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Grey-Jay

Jabe Rd road condition

Itís open per DEC site. But does it ever get any maintenance to be better than really rough?
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
dundee

I haven't been there recently, but the road to Day Clearing ( a few miles to the south) was just improved with a nice layer of gravel so any vehicle can drive it. Maybe DEC is on top of road conditions to Jabe?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Pauly D.

It's in good shape G-J. I was on it this morning. Steep as I'm sure you know. 4WD recommended.

Watch out for the bikers this weekend!
Old 06-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
Itís open per DEC site. But does it ever get any maintenance to be better than really rough?
The people responsible for maintenance when I was there several years ago were either sadistic or lacked knowledge of road building materials. They may as well have put marbles on the final rock slope.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I remember years ago riding my heavily loaded touring bike through Uncas Rd from Eagle Bay to Raquette Lake, and the last mile or so had some very steep hills. The surface was soft beach-like sand sprinkled with rock about the shape and size of ice cubes. I remember sometimes I would catch the corner of a rock with the front tire and it would go pinging off into space, but luckily there wasn't much traffic so I never hit a car with one. It was quite exciting. I'm sure the road crews have a lot to do, and the terrain certainly can't make their job easy.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
Bob K

Ft Ann to win crews maintain shelving rock rd & Dacy Clearing. I have witnessed their fine work being done on several occasions. Most town crews do well on their back roads. Sometimes the rd needs a few days to settle after a new layer.

A few "dead end" roads simply aren't good roads and Jabe is one of those.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
Klinkhamer

Jabe Pond Rd

Was in pretty decent shape on Sunday with some erosion as expected with all the rain we've had, but easily navigable in my Forester. Found a Honda Fit that drove up there with a kayak on it too, so it can't be that bad for most cars.