Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Holdstrong

Walking in a straight line

I find this absolutely fascinating and had to share.

Why can't we walk straight?

Quote:
Humans, apparently, slip into circles when we can't see an external focal point, like a mountain top, a sun, a moon. Without a corrective, our insides take over and there’s something inside us that won't stay straight.
The animated video is very well done too.

I suddenly have the urge to walk across Marcy field blind folded...
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
qam1

I think it's because one of our legs is stronger, the lefty - righty thing with our arms works on our legs also.

If we are walking straight with a goal our brains will compenstate to keep us straight

But without a "goal", one leg will push us just a bit further than the other that eventually we will slowly end up going in circles.

Lefties end up doing a clockwise circle, while righties will go counter clockwise

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
:
:
qam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Holdstrong

While initially watching the video, I was thinking the same. Something similar might even explain the swimming. However, that it happens to someone driving a car seemed to throw a wrench into that.

Here is a quote about this from the article...

Quote:
I suggest, this is a form of left or right handedness where one side dominates the other? Or maybe this is a reflection of our left and right brains spitting out different levels of dopamine? Or maybe it's stupidly simple: Most of us have slightly different sized legs or slightly stronger appendages on one side and this little difference, over enough steps, mounts up?

Wrong, wrong and wrong, Jan says. He's tested all three propositions (the radio story describes the details) and didn't get the predicted results. There is, apparently, no single explanation for this phenomenon. He is working on a multi-causal theory.
Fascinating stuff.

If interested, the audio for the radio piece can be found here: NPR Audio
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I think it has to do with the balance in our middle ear. It's never perfect so we favor one side or another.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
randomscooter
Native Earthling

I found it interesting that the circles got tighter and tighter in some cases. If it was a simple case of physiological asymmetry then it seems to me the circles would remain the same radius.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Have you ever tried to walk in a perfectly straight line across a frozen lake through several inches of snow with snowshoes on, while fixating on one point across the lake and trying to walk straight to it, then once you get there turn around and look back at your tracks?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.7 KB, 106 views)
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
I found it interesting that the circles got tighter and tighter in some cases. If it was a simple case of physiological asymmetry then it seems to me the circles would remain the same radius.
No, because you would keep bearing to the same side so the circles would get tighter with each "lap"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Have you ever tried to walk in a perfectly straight line across a frozen lake through several inches of snow with snowshoes on, while fixating on one point across the lake and trying to walk straight to it, then once you get there turn around and look back at your tracks

Is that before or after smoking that joint?
paddlewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post
I find this absolutely fascinating and had to share.

Why can't we walk straight?

The animated video is very well done too.

I suddenly have the urge to walk across Marcy field blind folded...
Fascinating indeed! Now I won't feel so bad the next time I get a little turned around when I could swear I was walking in a straight line.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

This is why the "intentional offset" when bushwhacking/navigating by compass is a good technique to learn and use. Basically, if the point you are trying to reach is along a linear feature such as a river or a ridge line, you intentionally aim for a point along that feature either to the right or to the left of that point. When you get to that river or ridge, you can then be reasonably sure which direction you need to turn and follow it to get to your intended destination, even if you weren't able to follow a straight line the whole way to the linear feature.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote