Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
bioguide

Catch and release

This could become an interesting thread:

Why catch-and-release is killing, not conserving, Maine fisheries - Portland Press Herald
https://www.pressherald.com/?p=3165355
Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Interesting. First we fish out the native brook trout and bluebacks, which had lived together in balance since the last ice age. Then we introduce new species like lake trout. They did well for a few years. Now we blame their overpopulation on catch-and-release???

Please tell me I'm not living in 1984 and that George Orwell didn't write Maine's fishing regulations.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
geogymn

Well at least I won't feel guilty for keeping a couple for the frying pan.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Well at least I won't feel guilty for keeping a couple for the frying pan.
Same here. Definitely no reason to feel guilty for taking less than legally allowed.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
Lucky13

With the limit down to 5, with no more than 2 > 12" in many places, there is no reason to feel guilty about taking what is legally allowed!

I have been a fly fisher in the flatlands for over 50 years, and have practiced C+R religiously for trout on some streams that get a lot of pressure, and for better than 17 years on Steelhead. It took quite a while for me to break the wabbler and worm habit in the ponds, and start running flies, but it has made C+R a lot more doable, as even wabbler and worm fish often inhale the hook and end up in the creel. And I still fish bait from shore while I am taking the every hour or so break to let circulation return to my aging legs, or to escape the inevitable sun that appears over any pond we haul boats to, about the time we get there (), sometimes worms and sometimes ice jigs tipped with waxworms so the fish will be less likely to swallow the hook. So my harvest rules are pretty straight forward, if I can let it go with a good chance of survival, (lip hooked) it goes back, but if it has swallowed the bait, it goes in the cooler. The loons and snappers can find their own supper, I'm not leaving a brook trout motor boating around the surface because it ingested the hook into the stomach or gills and did not recover when I cut the line." I have actually sat and watched the sky for as much as four hours while my friend continued to fish, because I retained my limit quickly and do not believe in continuing to fish C+R once I have my limit, because I fear I'll kill one that I can't legally keep. Beer is nice on those days!

The Article dealt with specific lakes in Maine where manipulation of species was done. I can't think of a pond I have ever seen in the Mountains of NY where there was an overpopulation of stunted brook trout, or a problem that would be worsened by C+R. If you know of one and want help returning it to balance, I have a nice cast iron skillet, and cracker crumbs always at the ready in the truck!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
With the limit down to 5, with no more than 2 > 12" in many places, there is no reason to feel guilty about taking what is legally allowed!

I have been a fly fisher in the flatlands for over 50 years, and have practiced C+R religiously for trout on some streams that get a lot of pressure, and for better than 17 years on Steelhead. It took quite a while for me to break the wabbler and worm habit in the ponds, and start running flies, but it has made C+R a lot more doable, as even wabbler and worm fish often inhale the hook and end up in the creel. And I still fish bait from shore while I am taking the every hour or so break to let circulation return to my aging legs, or to escape the inevitable sun that appears over any pond we haul boats to, about the time we get there (), sometimes worms and sometimes ice jigs tipped with waxworms so the fish will be less likely to swallow the hook. So my harvest rules are pretty straight forward, if I can let it go with a good chance of survival, (lip hooked) it goes back, but if it has swallowed the bait, it goes in the cooler. The loons and snappers can find their own supper, I'm not leaving a brook trout motor boating around the surface because it ingested the hook into the stomach or gills and did not recover when I cut the line." I have actually sat and watched the sky for as much as four hours while my friend continued to fish, because I retained my limit quickly and do not believe in continuing to fish C+R once I have my limit, because I fear I'll kill one that I can't legally keep. Beer is nice on those days!

The Article dealt with specific lakes in Maine where manipulation of species was done. I can't think of a pond I have ever seen in the Mountains of NY where there was an overpopulation of stunted brook trout, or a problem that would be worsened by C+R. If you know of one and want help returning it to balance, I have a nice cast iron skillet, and cracker crumbs always at the ready in the truck!
Count me in, I'll bring the butter and beer.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I favor bisquick and canola oil (w/ pinch of salt and lemon juice).

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
Lucky13

I use Bisquick for Chicken in the oven, never tried it for fish, now I'll have to go back up North and get a couple (AW, shucks!.....)
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post

This says it all. Couldn’t say it better myself.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

You guys know my ethics regarding naming ponds. Basically, I never do but here's the exception to the rule: Crab Pond, the one off the grid and southeast of Pharaoh Lake. It has an extreme abundance of naturally reproducing Horn Lake strain brookies. You'll do the population some good by removing a few. Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #11
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
You guys know my ethics regarding naming ponds. Basically, I never do but here's the exception to the rule: Crab Pond, the one off the grid and southeast of Pharaoh Lake. It has an extreme abundance of naturally reproducing Horn Lake strain brookies. You'll do the population some good by removing a few. Enjoy!