Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
SamuraiHack

Legality of parking overnight at trailhead?

My girlfriend and I in mid-August will be hiking some mountains and camping overnight. We were wondering if that was even legal in that area or if we would need a permit. We would be around Indian Lake at the Snowy Mountain/Pillsbury Mountain trailhead.
Thanks!
SamuraiHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
dundee

You can't stay overnight in a trailhead parking lot, it's illegal, if that's what you were thinking. There is the Lewey Lake DEC campground, run by New York State. You will need a reservation. There are probably other private campgrounds in the area, but I don't know them.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
TCD

But if you are "parking overnight" (meaning your car is parked there, but you are somewhere else) then that is perfectly legal.

So it was not clear from the OP what you intend to do. Agree with Dundee, it's illegal to camp (in your car or otherwise) at most trailheads.

>There are usually campgrounds nearby, so there's really no good reason to do this.

>In quiet areas, many people do sleep in their cars at trailheads before a hike, taking their chances for whatever reason. Most people seem to get away with it, although it cannot be said to be a good idea.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Lucky13

It has to be legal to leave your car at the parking area, or how could you hike back into the woods to camp? However, it might not be so legal to sleep in the car over night, as you would then be camped within 150 of a road, trail, or water. I was reviewing the recent standards for tentsites document by NYSDEC, and there is discussion in there about the illegality of "camping", that is, sleeping in a vehicle or camper in the parking area of a designated roadside camping spot, and it basically said a permit from the local ranger would be required for this, otherwise the camp would have to be established on the tentsite, not at the vehicle. So, I don't think you should plan on car camping at a roadside parking area for trail access, at least not without checking with the local Forest Ranger. There is beaucoup roadside camping not too far from the Snowy Trail in the Moose River Plains, and the parking for most of these is integrated into the campsite.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
SamuraiHack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
But if you are "parking overnight" (meaning your car is parked there, but you are somewhere else) then that is perfectly legal.

So it was not clear from the OP what you intend to do. Agree with Dundee, it's illegal to camp (in your car or otherwise) at most trailheads.

>There are usually campgrounds nearby, so there's really no good reason to do this.

>In quiet areas, many people do sleep in their cars at trailheads before a hike, taking their chances for whatever reason. Most people seem to get away with it, although it cannot be said to be a good idea.

Ah, I should have clarified. We would be sleeping off the trail of some part of the mountain, not in our car.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
SamuraiHack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
It has to be legal to leave your car at the parking area, or how could you hike back into the woods to camp? However, it might not be so legal to sleep in the car over night, as you would then be camped within 150 of a road, trail, or water. I was reviewing the recent standards for tentsites document by NYSDEC, and there is discussion in there about the illegality of "camping", that is, sleeping in a vehicle or camper in the parking area of a designated roadside camping spot, and it basically said a permit from the local ranger would be required for this, otherwise the camp would have to be established on the tentsite, not at the vehicle. So, I don't think you should plan on car camping at a roadside parking area for trail access, at least not without checking with the local Forest Ranger. There is beaucoup roadside camping not too far from the Snowy Trail in the Moose River Plains, and the parking for most of these is integrated into the campsite.
We would be sleeping off the trail on some part of the mountain, not in the car.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
TCD

OK, then you'll be fine. Many cars are parked overnight at many trailheads.

>Don't leave valuables visible in your car. Car break ins rarely happen in the Adirondacks, but periodically there will be a wave of them in some location, so it's always best to be careful.

>Make sure you are following the State land use regulations for your chosen camping location:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
Neil
Kayak-46

Good on you Samurai to get info BEFORE heading out.
First principle of LNT is: Plan ahead and prepare.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
Lonehiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post

So, that is risky. I have had times were I pulled off for a 15 to 30 minute nap, so I could make it home. One time a uniformed man, probably a game warden, knocked on my window. He asked what I was doing and was looking particularly at my hiking equipment. I told him I just got out of 3rd shift and I need to nap for a moment so I can survive the drive. He said ok and left.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Bob K

There are several free primative car camping spots on the dirt access road on the way to the Pillsbury trailhead, a few others by Mason Lake, closer to Snowy. PM me if you want more details.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #11
SamuraiHack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
There are several free primative car camping spots on the dirt access road on the way to the Pillsbury trailhead, a few others by Mason Lake, closer to Snowy. PM me if you want more details.
Just shot you a message, thanks!
Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #12
Terasec

You should let local ranger know your plans
They make check in on the lot/car if they know
As others stated can park 3 nights
More than 3 nights requires a permit
I used get to a lot wee hours of the morning sleep a bit and head out at first light
Recently found out that is illegal any sleeping in the car while its in a trailhead lot is considered camping i no longer do it
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote