Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > ADK Forum Classifieds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Conk

Hennessy Hammock

I have for sale a Hennessy sleep system. It is used but in good condition. Includes Hammock, Hugger Straps, Original Rain Fly (too small IMO), Under Cover and Under Pad. It is the Expedition Classic (bottom entry) with Insulation System (#1 Classic). Description and Specifications in the links below. $50.00 will get you off the hard wet ground, swinging sweetly anywhere you find two trees. Can ship U.S. for additional $20.

https://hennessyhammock.com/products...n-asym-classic

https://hennessyhammock.com/products...stem-1-classic

If the birth canal entry is not your thing, side zipper modifications obtained here
https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/fullwidth/
Conk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conk View Post
I have for sale a Hennessy sleep system. It is used but in good condition. Includes Hammock, Hugger Straps, Original Rain Fly (too small IMO), Under Cover and Under Pad. It is the Expedition Classic (bottom entry) with Insulation System (#1 Classic). Description and Specifications in the links below. $50.00 will get you off the hard wet ground, swinging sweetly anywhere you find two trees. Can ship U.S. for additional $20.

https://hennessyhammock.com/products...n-asym-classic

https://hennessyhammock.com/products...stem-1-classic

If the birth canal entry is not your thing, side zipper modifications obtained here
https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/fullwidth/
Seems like a smokin' deal. I'm having a hard time picturing how you do a bottom entry and then get into your bag though. and how would it work with an underquilt?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Conk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Seems like a smokin' deal. I'm having a hard time picturing how you do a bottom entry and then get into your bag though. and how would it work with an underquilt?
A bottom entry is a slit in the middle of the foot end of a hammock for approximately a third of its length. Pull the hammock over your shoulders and down to the buttocks, layback, pull your feet in and the slit closes automatically by the weight of your body pulling on the fabric. Your lay is askew to the opening. Most hammockers don't fully enter a bag but rather pull a boxed foot end somewhere to about the knees and use the top two thirds as a quilt. The insulating systems for this hammock (under pad and cover) are designed for bottom entry. An underquilt does not work well with bottom entry and is why I have included a link to the good folks at 2QZQ who have made a business out of modifying Hennessey's.
Smokin' deal, I think so, even if only used for Sunday napping. This is an affordable system to introduce yourself to the world of hanging. Not everyone likes it. I left the ground decades ago and will never go back.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conk View Post
I left the ground decades ago and will never go back.
Same here with me.
This would be an excellent deal. I already have a similar Hennessy system that I use to bushwhack in much the same area of the Western adirondacks where you have seen many of Conk's excellent detailed photo posts. I have hung my hammock and slept comfortably over wet mossy swamps, boulders, steep slopes, heavy low scrub brush and many other places where you would never consider setting up a tent, even if you could find a flat spot clear enough for a tiny solo tent (a common problem in this region).

As for getting into a bottom entry, I use a Big Agnes type of sleeping bag with a pocket sleeve meant to hold an insulating pad. On cold nights it takes some amount of practiced struggle to get into and zip up a sleeping bag, but it works once you get the hang of it. definitely bring a pee bottle in with you so you don't have to repeat the process in the middle of the night.

I would get this deal myself if I didn't already have my own system.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Blackflie

I have used Hennessy for over ten years now and have only resorted to ground dwelling on a recent trip to Labrador where I thought that the trees may not always conducive to hanging.

My bottom loading model was getting a little tatty so I relaxed it with a zip version got hold of the insulation kit and am a very happy camper. My normal window of use is early May through to mid October.

As has been said this is a great deal and if you have never tried a hammock a good way to get started
Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Conk, your hammock looks like a great deal and if I was a normal person I would buy it. I am interested in the idea of hammock camping but all of the entry level models I have seen are not designed to accommodate someone just over 7 feet tall, and I haven't wanted to spend the money for something custom made, not knowing if I would like it. I've been thinking about trying to make my own this winter, I have a fairly tough old sewing machine that I have used to sew upholstery fabric, so I'm sure that whatever cloth is used in hammocks would be manageable. Best of luck with selling this one, I'm sure someone will come along soon who will want it.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
forgedin78

Pm sent
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Conk

The hammock has been sold
Old 12-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Thanks for giving us the chance before dropping it on ebay. I'm sure you could have gotten more for it.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
tenderfoot

Zach,

"Cottage vendors" like Dutchware (what I hang in), Warbonnet, hammockGear, etc. may be able to help. My Dutchware hammock is 11' long. I do not find the 9' Enos and such comfortable. I do not have your height though.

My first hammock was a tablecloth with gathered ends, just to see if it would work for me.

I hammock camp 12 months of the year