Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
MaximusFunk24

Seat and cushion options

Im trying to choose a more comfortable seating option for my seatless solo canoe. I currently drop in an old folding camp seat with a 2 inch memory foam pillow stuffed inside both the backrest and bottom. After a couple hours of paddling my butt starts to go numb and the next day my tailbone feels a bit bruised.

Anyone have a specific model of seat that they find extremely comfortable? I have seen some gel cushions and was wondering how they compare to memory foam? Also saw some aluminum frame seats, but I suspect that being suspended on a sheet of nylon would only make my butt go numb even sooner.

Also, kneeling isnt an option because this boat has very little freeboard and I want to keep pretty low.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
BlackRock

I haven't used one, but have considered getting one of these for my SOF pack canoe: https://www.clcboats.com/modules/cat...pad-kayak-seat
BlackRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Wldrns

When I paddled the Yukon races, my voyageur stern man (who works as a physical therapist) got his hands on a large sheet of 1" thick flexible fairly dense solid gel that is used in hospital beds for long term patients in bed. He cut it up into individual seat size pieces for the crew. Putting it on top of molded canoe seats it made continuous paddling in excess of 24 hours at a time fairly tolerable. But the darn stuff is heavy. Dropped in the water it would quickly sink. It is also very expensive and only available in whole bed size pieces.

So I found on Amazon a kind of perforated blue gel which is almost as good, but a lot lighter weight. I put a cover on it with straps and buckles for securing it and I use in in several canoes, including my solo, with good comfort success and portability. I see now there are several different makes of the stuff available.
https://smile.amazon.com/Gel-Seat-Cu...r+cushion+seat

Sometimes if my back hurts, I pair the gel cushion with a Wenonah Super Seat
Wenonah Super Seat
https://www.rutabaga.com/wenonah-canoe-super-seats

The super seat does not work on a sit on bottom canoe such as the Hornbeck, so I use a cheap crazy creek type chair backrest for long distance paddling days in that boat.

Last edited by Wldrns; 12-04-2018 at 08:08 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Matt C

CLC Creature Comfort Seat

I just installed a Creature Comfort Seat from CLC in my Hornbeck Classic 12. BIG improvement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0278c.JPG (44.1 KB, 110 views)
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I have been using the Happy Bottom seats from CLC that Black Rock mentioned for several years, with very positive results. I drop it in my SOF canoe, SOF kayak, and in my guideboat. Anyone that knows about rowing a guideboat in the 90 Miler knows the worst part is the seating arrangements. I've done the 90 twice in the guideboat with this seat with no problems at all.
John
Old 12-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
EastOfMidnight

I use the medium seat and padded back from Placid Boatworks, with a double blade paddle and have been pretty happy with it. http://placidboatworks.com/outfitting.html. I really like to kneel with a single blade but am hesitant to tear the original seat out.
EastOfMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
I use the medium seat and padded back from Placid Boatworks, with a double blade paddle and have been pretty happy with it. http://placidboatworks.com/outfitting.html. I really like to kneel with a single blade but am hesitant to tear the original seat out.
I dislike using a double blade kayak paddle in my Rapidfire (it is a canoe, after all, not a kayak) it responds well to a nice well made wood paddle or a carbon bent shaft. The original offering of seats (I have all 3 height stackable seats from PB) does not put me high enough to efficiently use a single blade paddle. So had Joe install an even higher rail mounted seat, like he uses while racing. With that seat I can very nicely perform the wide variety of single blade canoe stroke maneuvers that I very much enjoy employing. The original double blade sold by Joe remains in my garage unless I use it with my Hornbeck, as with its bottom dwelling seat there is no other choice.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
MaximusFunk24

Thanks for the suggestions, I happened across a gel cushion with little air cells that looks similar to the Amazon link at a thrift shop, so I will try that out - maybe sit in my canoe and watch a movie. If that doesnt work out I will try the Happy Bottom Pad in the link, though maybe with velcro instead of glued.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote