Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
rdl

x-country area near 90

I'm driving from Buffalo to Albany on Friday and will have a couple hours to hopefully find someplace for a short ski. I'm familiar with BREIA, but driving there and back will take half my available time. Any suggestions for an area not too far off the NYS Thruway that should have decent snow ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
bluequill

If you are looking for a xc ski center with groomed/ set track trails. Lapland Lake is about 45 minutes north of Amsterdam in Benson.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Wldrns

I have skied in the Rome Sand Plains in the past. Not groomed like BREIA, but it gets used enough so someone has probably gone through before you. Quite a bit of landscape diversity can be found on different trails.

The Izaak Walton League trail is a good one.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8080.html
Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Bob K

If the Albany area has snow, you might consider John Boyd Thacher state park. Being elevated it does get more snow and there are many trails. Not typically groomed but often skied. The park office may have snow conditions if you call. Less than 30 min from I90. Free and there is at least one heated restroom available.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
I'm driving from Buffalo to Albany on Friday and will have a couple hours to hopefully find someplace for a short ski. I'm familiar with BREIA, but driving there and back will take half my available time. Any suggestions for an area not too far off the NYS Thruway that should have decent snow ?
Albany has almost no snow on the ground
I was in the Taconics yesterday, and above 1800 ft there was (is) over 2 ft on the ground...nice soft powder
Old 11-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
If the Albany area has snow, you might consider John Boyd Thacher state park. Being elevated it does get more snow and there are many trails. Not typically groomed but often skied. The park office may have snow conditions if you call. Less than 30 min from I90. Free and there is at least one heated restroom available.
Thacher Park is a really nice place for a ski. I was up there last weekend and there was not nearly enough snow coverage.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote