Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Bunchberry

Adirondack Forest Communities guide book

Instead of just walking around the Adirondacks oblivious to the environment around me, I am working on understanding the forest starting with the general forest communities and the trees in them.

I am trying to memorize the different trees.

I was cutting and pasting information like on in this webpage:

https://www.esf.edu/aec/adks/forestcomm.htm

into my own file and editing it so I could shrink it down and take it hiking.

Then I thought "Maybe someone has already did this and made a little book."

It has to be small and light.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Woodly

Its a good thing you are doing. Why experience the woods and not know the flora? You will appreciate the outdoors more, the more you know about it.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
rickhart

I like the Peterson guide to trees, but it probably isn't as small & light as you want (though I often take two Peterson guides plus a smaller dragonfly one). There are smaller, basic tree field guides that some better bookstores have. A small one I love is "Forests & Trees of the Adirondack High Peaks Region" by E.H. Ketchledge. Though it focuses on the high peaks area, it does include some info on lower elevation trees. A really good help in learning trees is "Bark: A Field Guide to Trees of the Northeast" by Michael Wojtech -- again, a bit larger than you describe, but it's a must-have for using bark to help i.d. trees. And if you're talking boreal forest, check out "The World of Northern Evergreens" by E.C. Pielou.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Ketchledge's book is pocket sized, and has a 'dichotomous tree' to help identify what you're trying to identify.

IMG_20200303_070032.jpg

IMG_20200303_070053.jpg
Old 03-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's not exactly what you're looking for but it does contain some of the relevant info: I really like the Audubon Society's regional field guides. They've got a little bit of everything- ecosystem knowledge, tree ID, wildflower ID, bird ID, mammal ID, fish ID, reptile and amphibian ID, invertebrate ID, weather pattern ID, rock and mineral ID, and so on. If you're looking for 1 single field book to carry- the Audubon regional field guides are the one to carry.

NY is grouped in the Field Guide to the Mid-Atlantic, but in the Adirondacks I personally carry the Field Guide to New England as the Adirondack ecosystem has more in common with New England ecosystems than with the ecosystems of the mid-Atlantic region.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
Bunchberry

This is maddening! I found this really cool mapping website. It has all the forest communities but the colors in the index are hard to match with the colors on the map! I wish you could just click on the map and it would tell you the forest community! Am I doing something wrong?

http://maps.tnc.org/nehabitatmap/
Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
Bunchberry

These habitat guides go with it

https://www.conservationgateway.org/...abitats_NY.pdf
Old 03-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
wjgood3

Eastern Forests (Kricher, Morrison)

Good suggestions from the folks who have answered already. Another good book is the Peterson Guide to Eastern Forests by John Kricher and Gordon Morrison. This is the next step after becoming acquainted with the basic field guides. It goes into the whys and wherefores of forest communities across the east (including the northeast). It explains various community types, which plants you'll see, which animals like which habitats, so you'll get a better idea what kinds of plants and animals you'll see on a particular hike.
wjgood3 is offline   Reply With Quote