Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
RickG55

Ice Out Info

Hi all. Does NY maintain a site that lets people know when the ice is out? I did a Google search but didn't find anything really useful. I'm especially interested in Lake Lila. Thanks for any help.
RickG55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG55 View Post
Hi all. Does NY maintain a site that lets people know when the ice is out? I did a Google search but didn't find anything really useful. I'm especially interested in Lake Lila. Thanks for any help.
Are you planning on walking out there? I'm willing to bet the ice will be long gone before the road opens.

The DEC usually does update their site as to road openings in mud season. I can't recall where exactly and the site has changed in recent years, but with some searching I'm sure you'll find where they post announcements.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG55 View Post
Does NY maintain a site that lets people know when the ice is out?
Your best bet for gaging ice out on Adirondack lakes & ponds is on this forum, or one of the several Adirondack related facebook pages, but like Montcalm says the road to Lila probably won’t be open until mid to late May (or sometimes later) & well after ice out, which makes for a very long portage if you’re planning on paddling there before then.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Pretty sure all of this thread from last year still applies:

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t...&highlight=ice

There are numerous webcams with which you can watch a handful of lakes soften up.
If it happens to be that the road remains closed when you're ready to go, you could always try LTL, Round Lake or Bog River Flow...all of those have similar waters and shores.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Buckladd

iceshanty.com doesn't exactly keep track or ice out, but that's where anglers communicate and you can gauge it from there.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Blackflie

We had a lot of snow up here in Quebec this winter, in fact my drive way still has snow, I’ll be down first week of May arthritic knees and all hoping in vain some of the gates may be open so I can hike and overnight. Well here’s wishing
Blackflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
RichieC

As stated, road will be closed till the road firms up. Not because you'd get stuck, but because of the permanent damage/ruts you would do to the the road that the DEC would then have to send a crew in with heavy equipment to repair. Ruts turn to iron when dried. SO It's not you they are concerned about... for this you will have to ask the ranger when it will be open, just give him a call. They are happy to tell you as it is part of their job. We went in one year right after it opened, he said he just opened it that morning... he said we'd need a 4 wheel drive, which we have... A nifty wennie, low riding new sports car was parked in the parking lot when we arrived... LOL

AS we were paddling in, a friend of ours said that one good thing about paddling right after ice-out is the temp of the water... "if we should capsize and die, they would say we died of hypothermia, which is much more impressive then simply drowning like rats." A much more auspicious and "desirable" headline in his opinion... he was Argentinian, and his thick accent made it even funnier... still makes me laugh at the thought process. We did stick close to shore though- which is a good idea anyways, as even with life jackets... it might be too far to get out in time. You've got only 15 minutes or less to get warm... thats not too long fully clothed, as you'd slow down way down in half that time. Then you are on shore many miles from help. Ice out is the same 32° water temps they had on the Titanic and look what happened to Leo.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/about/677.html

Robert Zurek

Last edited by RichieC; 03-06-2018 at 01:58 AM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
RickG55

Thanks all. I was afraid of the road not being usable despite ice-out. We have sort of the same issue with the Kelly Stand Road in my neck of the woods. I was just looking to get some camping in ahead of the start of bug season, and we've always loved Lila. Just have to look elsewhere, I guess.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
Wldrns

For Lila, the ranger's name is Bob Zurek
518-624-6686,
Cell: 518-505-4151

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/677.html

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-11-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #10
Robin

In 2016 we had 4 days of great windless weather in early April. I saw the ice was out on some big nearby lakes so I headed up to Lows Lake (easy to watch for nice weather and go when your retired). I brought my homemade cart and wheeled my gear the 3/4 mile to the put in at the lower dam. I parked my truck near the gate and all was good.
I was the first to sign the canoe camping log that year. Here is a video of the trip and it shows the carting in to the put in.
https://youtu.be/Fa5mBL9JZS8
Old 03-17-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
RickG55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
For Lila, the ranger's name is Bob Zurek
518-624-6686,
Cell: 518-505-4151

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/677.html
Thank you much. I'll reach out to him.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #12
RickG55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
In 2016 we had 4 days of great windless weather in early April. I saw the ice was out on some big nearby lakes so I headed up to Lows Lake (easy to watch for nice weather and go when your retired). I brought my homemade cart and wheeled my gear the 3/4 mile to the put in at the lower dam. I parked my truck near the gate and all was good.
I was the first to sign the canoe camping log that year. Here is a video of the trip and it shows the carting in to the put in.
https://youtu.be/Fa5mBL9JZS8
Great video, thanks. I'm looking at retirement within the next year myself, and one of my goals is to spend much more time canoe camping.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #13
Wldrns

April can surprise you. I noted many years during my working years that April often offers a couple weeks of very nice dry weather. Unfortunately for working folk, you cannot depend on that happening every year, so it is difficult and risky to schedule vacation time in advance. However, given what March has offered so far, I do not have a lot of hope for much April dryness in 2018.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-17-2018 at 06:48 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #14
Blackflie

For what it is worth I saw the geese going south today over the Lac des deux Montagnes

Must be getting warm
Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
Blackflie

Open water on Lac des deux Montagnes today, I also see that USS Little Rock which was ice bound in the Port of Montreal since before Christmas sailed a few days ago.

I imagine the goodness is slowly creeping south to the high ground

Last edited by Blackflie; 04-02-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
Wldrns

As of 1 april, the Fulton Chain of big lakes and otherwise all the way to Plattsburgh are still pretty much locked in with solid white surfaces. The Saranac and Raquette Rivers are open where visible from the road. And Areas on the lakes where rivers enter have regions of open water (e.g. the Bog and Raquette Rivers on Tupper). Under the bridge at Long Lake is open water (for about a quarter mile heading north). The Moose at Old Forge and McKeever is running open water.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-02-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Old 04-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
bioguide

A great resource when the skies are clear:

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov...28075289343775