Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
KurtVon

Question Dix Slide

I plan on hiking in the Dix range with a few friends this weekend to finish up my 46er. I've been in the Dix range before but haven't actually done Dix since I've been saving it for my last peak. It's been a while since I've done the range, but just wanted to know of the whereabouts of the slide going up Dix.

I believe this slide is climbable from Hough? Does anyone know of the herd path to it?

I am also thinking about climbing the east dix slide as well from rt 73.

I figure I would start out on 73 and do the east dix slide first, then knocking off other others and then heading over to dix from hough and head out to 73. Does the start of the hike come out close by the end of the hike? or will we have to walk along 73 for a bit?
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtVon View Post
. Does the start of the hike come out close by the end of the hike? or will we have to walk along 73 for a bit?
At a decent walking pace it is about 45 minutes.

The slide you have pictured is not "the slide" that is usually climbed when people talk of climbing the slide via the Dix trail. The larger slide is on the other side and the trail leads to it and out on it from the rte 73 direction.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
KurtVon

okay thanks a lot. Maybe we will descend via the slide and out to 73. I hear there are multiple slides on dix. Are any of there marked with cairns?
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
Old 06-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtVon View Post
okay thanks a lot. Maybe we will descend via the slide and out to 73. I hear there are multiple slides on dix. Are any of there marked with cairns?
If you just descend via the trail that says rte 73 or st huberts it will come out on the slide towards the lower third. There is some small cairns usually and some blazes.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

this is what it looks like from Rt. 73 at the base. We went up the left slide and was only short bushwack to the summit...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
KurtVon

great thanks for the responses. Looks like we will be doing the Hunter slide up Dix

www.kurtvon.com
Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
mink

Hiked Dix via trail from St. Huberts yesterday...I thought about following the slide up, but decided due to time to stick to the trail. On second thought it probably is quicker taking the slide up to the summit!

mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
KurtVon

which slide did you do? was it hunters slide or V slide? I am still unsure which slide is the better route...Hunters slide looks to be a bit more challenging and significantly more fun

www.kurtvon.com
Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
SummitHat
That was fun

There's a wealth of info and trip reports on the Dix and other slides over on the ADKHighPeaks forum. Well worth checking out when planning for a successful adventure, especially one involving slides.
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mink View Post
Hiked Dix via trail from St. Huberts yesterday...I thought about following the slide up, but decided due to time to stick to the trail. On second thought it probably is quicker taking the slide up to the summit!
The top of those slides (accessible from the Dix Trail from Rte 76), ie. the Thumb, Index, Middle, Ring and Pinky slides leave you high and dry and a long ways from the summit. We climbed the Ring, descended it then did the Pinky up and down. Close to being my favorite slides so far.
Some pics:

http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor...des/index.html

http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor...ide/index.html

From Noonmark:
http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor...%20slides.html
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
mink

Neil:

The slides do seem like an excellent hike! Maybe I'll give it a try once I finish the 46.

Brandon
mink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dix, east dix, great slide