Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
tenderfoot

Street & Nye or Colden

So the weekend of 1/9 looks to be favorable. Trailhead temps below freezing but above 5F. Our kind of weather. Does anyone have recent experience with the Lake Arnold Trail or Street & Nye. With the warm weather I am concerned they are not yet frozen over.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Woodly

They'll be frozen by then, I'd bet on it.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I haven't been up there recently myself- but with all of the recent fluctuations in temperatures, I would expect to encounter a decent amount of ice on any High Peak, at least until more snowfall has accumulated to cover it up. Microspikes will likely be essential, and you may even find yourself needing crampons (or being forced to turn back without them).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Woodly

In Wilmington at 1500ft they received over a 1/2" of ice and then snow...makes for a nice ski base and slippery conditions over rock.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
TCD

I think the question is specific to water crossings. With the warm spells and some rain in the forecast, the status of water crossings cannot be predicted at this point.

On the Lake Arnold route to Colden, IIRC all the major water crossings have bridges, so that might be a more reliable option. Going to S&N, IP Brook could be a problem.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
tenderfoot

Yes, the original concern is water. Crossing or the notorious Lake Arnold floating log bridge section. Would hate to try that if water was present. That would prompt us to turn around rather than balance on logs over literal thin ice.

The ice info is great though, we have spikes and crampons (and snowshoes) so it looks like we will have all three.

We may just switch to Big Slide and skip the risk.

Street and Nye are funny - I do not wish to cross over an unfrozen creek but with snow the herd path should be easier to follow.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
TCD

Colden from the Loj via Lake Arnold does not involve the unmaintained "sinking bridge." That's further along the trail, in the low area continuing towards Feldspar. If you are just doing Colden from the Loj, you will not encounter that hazard.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote